It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:02 pm 

Ok I know this has zero to do with buprenorphine or recovery but I need some opinions because I've been very stressed out lately with a new pet. I know there's a lot of us who love our pets and I want to ask ur opinion.

I'm a bunny owner and keep my bunny inside just like u would a cat or dog. They're very much like a cat honestly. Anyway, we've had Gizmo for a year & decided to get him a friend. We got him neutered and problems immediately started with her.

Evidently the breeder we bought her from wasn't exactly the best because she's had one health issue after another. She's had 2 eye infections and an ear infection and we discovered she's covered in furr mites!! She's taking antibiotics, steroids, eye ointment, ear drops and the vet has also given her Revolution for the mites. My question is, has anyone out there gave their dogs or cats or bunnies Revolution? It can treat fleas, furr mites.... all kinds of parasites that animals can get. I can't tell how well it's working. Everything else is getting better and honestly I'm starting to see the itching get a little better but it has taken two weeks! We also got a dose of Revolution for Gizmo to prevent him from getting these mites. I've still noticed them both itching a bit but she's starting to improve a little.

Bunnies can only safely take Revolution I think...... Frontline will kill them. Anyway if anyone has any experience with Revolution, can u let me know how it worked for ur pet? I was under the impression it was a great treatment but I'm not entirely sure. Lol halp please :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know much about that med (or bunnies!), but I did raise Netherland Dwarfs when I was in med school (many years ago!). From the web page, it looks like you use one application of Revolution and that does it? I realize that mites aren't ringworm and bunnies aren't cats... but when our cat had ringworm the first application didn't do the trick, so the vet shaved him, then we dipped him in a sulfur bath. Nothing uglier than a bald, yellow, angry cat that smells like sulfur! But the ringworm never came back...

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:05 pm 

suboxdoc wrote:
I don't know much about that med (or bunnies!), but I did raise Netherland Dwarfs when I was in med school (many years ago!). From the web page, it looks like you use one application of Revolution and that does it? I realize that mites aren't ringworm and bunnies aren't cats... but when our cat had ringworm the first application didn't do the trick, so the vet shaved him, then we dipped him in a sulfur bath. Nothing uglier than a bald, yellow, angry cat that smells like sulfur! But the ringworm never came back...

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure your cat was traumatized for the rest of its life!

I'm sorry, Jen, that I don't have an answer to your question. Our one cat is indoor only and the dogs only go out for walks on the leash and out back to do their stuff.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:21 pm 

I definitely got a visual image of that lol! And Netherland Dwarfs are soooo sweet! I have a lionhead which is supposedly a mix of a ND.

From reading online, ppl say Revolution is supposed to start working within 12-32 hours. I had my hopes up to immediately see improvement in scratching but didn't. They gave us a dose to put between her shoulder blades and another treatment of it in two weeks. We haven't done the two week dose yet (not time). It wasn't until she started the steroid and antibiotics that the itching is getting a little better. I don't know. I'm just getting frustrated. I just had too much expectation with this Revolution and figured a few ppl had tried it on their pets for fleas or something. Maybe it's mainly for small animals instead.

It's ok Amy, I'm desperate lol. Our gizmo doesn't even go outside so this whole mite issue came from her breeder having tons of animals all together and obviously not paying any attention to her at all to notice she was infested with furr mites. How could this person not know or see how bad she was? Makes me very angry!! Now Gizmo is is being treated to protect him. We just wanted him to have a friend lol!!