It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been browsing this forum for a while but this is my first post. Sorry if this is a little scattered, my heads a little fuzzy lol. Here's the situation:

I've been an addict for 5 years. I'm currently going to a sub doc who I've been a patient of on 3 separate occasions now over a period of 4 years (this is my 3rd time being a patient of his, 4 time in a program). The two previous times I was in his program I just wasn't ready to quit, however this time I'm really trying. Last September I was seeing a different sub doctor who I really liked and really did help with my mental issues (bi polar and anxiety), but since he did not take insurance I couldn't continue to see him. After a FOUR MONTH WAIT I finally convinced my current doctor to take me back as a patient. The problem is I don't feel he has really helped me. My original dose with my other doc was 16mg. My current doc started me on 8mg. He's has also had me on a slew of anti-d's that haven't been working. I ran out early on my sub the second month I was there because of intense cravings. I was honest with him, but instead of raising my dose he said I needed to taper. I've went from 8mg to 6mg to 4mg to 3mg and now I'm supposed to be at 2mg. The drop from 4mg to 3mg began on June 3rd and the drop from 3mg to 2mg was supposed to happen on June 17th.

The problem is my cravings are too intense on any dose lower than 4mg. After my visit on the 3rd I tried a week at 3mg but I relapsed (first relapse since i started) so I went back up to 4mg. My next appt. is on July 1st but I'm almost out of meds and idk what to do. I know I shouldn't have taken more, but I feel like he doesn't listen to me when I say im not ready to come off. He says sub isn't a long term option for me. Even worse is the meds for depression haven't done anything that he said they would. They make me feel sick and speedy, and have even given me slight cravings for amphetamines because of the speedy up feeling they cause. I have been depressed in the past, and i dont feel that way anymore. However he says i am and to trust him because hes "the doctor". I want to find another doctor, but the wait is 2-3 months and I just don't have that in me.

My question basically is should I call the office tomorrow and tell them I'm out and the dose is too small, or should I try and ride the next week or so out and bring it up again at my next appointment? My bday is two days before my visit and I'm really scared I'm gonna relapse hard because I've got some money coming from work and family. I just don't know what to do. I'm grateful he gave me a THIRD chance at being his patient, but at the same time I feel he hasn't helped me one bit.

So yeah, that's my situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm proud I've only had the one relapse, but at the same time I know it'll happen again if something isn't done. I've been to 2 rehabs before and I know how to cope with my addiction (I have hobbies, friends, etc.) but it feels like something in me just doesn't want me to stop using. I wish more doctors specialized in addiction. Having to wait months to get help isn't cool at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I know you said its a long wait but I would try and get on finding a new doctor ASAP and just ride it out with this doctor until you can switch. This guy sounds like hes uneducated on how buprenorphine maintenance is supposed to work, if a person is an opiate addict then there is no doctor in the world who can just arbitrarily say "long term maintenance isn't an option for you". If a person had only been taking a couple vicodin a day for a few weeks months yes I can see him saying that but if your an addict with a history of relapses and failed attempts to get sober than who does this guy think he is playing god like that. Its hard to give advice on your predicament though because of your drs ignorance, on the one hand I would say if it were me I would call and tell them whats going on and ask for them to call in enough meds to get me to my next appt but the fact that your doctor is not understanding and as you said forced you to taper even lower when this happened to you before and you were honest leads me to believe calling him might cause even more problems instead of helping. If you think he will help you by all means call but only you truly know what he is like. I wish I could be of more help, I got lucky by getting probably the best dr I could ask for on my first try but he's older and if I plan to stay on this for an indefinite amount of time I'm scared of the day I have to find a new dr.