It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on Subs for 8 months now. Within the last week I have dropped to 1mg and I am planning on dropping to .5mg tomorrow. I will take .5mg for about 10 days before I just completely stop. Can anyone tell me how bad of withdrawls I may experience from jumping off at .5mg. I have been on subs several times in the past and evertime have jumped off of them completley painlessly, like to the point I didn't even know I stopped taking them. But all of those times I was never on them for longer than a month and a half at the most. It was usually just a couple of weeks. I guess I feel like I might hit some withdrawls this time being that I have been on them so long. Anyone who has been on them for a long time and jumped off at .5mg, I would appreciate hearing about your experiences. Thanks :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Everybody is different. I always hear pople say they just quit taking it w/no problems but it seems that they always got right back on dope afterwards, and I've never met anyone who stuck to suboxone for verry long. I've been on it for 3yrs and at first my w/d wasnt very bad. The longer I've been on it, the worse its gotten. It's hell now. Not as bad as dope but still really bad. Xanax/klonopin/valium really helps though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Suboxone just about 13 months now...I current take about 2 mg per day.

I am down to my final pack of pills and really want to stop.

Every morning when I wake up, I do not feel so good...I take 1/4 of an 8 mg pill and after 30 minutes or so, I feel better...sometimes it takes longer.

I have no desire for any opiates at all...just this "need" to take the Sub.

It does not seem easy to keep reducing the dose and just stop taking it...I am unsure as to what to do.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well I have been on it for 8 months and I am now down to .5mg every other day. I plan on quitting come this Monday, so we will see how it goes. Anyone else who has had any experiences quitting suboxone is welcome to share. thanks

Post subject: Relapse question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I have been taking opiates, mainly OC pretty heavily (Up to 4 80's a day at my peak) for about a year. I have recently stopped using, about 3 weeks ago and went through a pretty sick withdrawal period, but I am feeling a lot better now. Well last night a friend gave me a 4 mg suboxone , and I took half last night, and half this morning. It made me feel better than I have in weeks, finally had a normal amount of energy. My question was will this suboxone "relapse" . set me back, maybe to day 1 of withdrawal? I have read that it is supposed to speed up the recovery processs and I was pretty much feeling about 90% before this.

- Confused

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

cracker15 wrote:
Well I have been on it for 8 months and I am now down to .5mg every other day. I plan on quitting come this Monday, so we will see how it goes. Anyone else who has had any experiences quitting suboxone is welcome to share. thanks

I stopped Dec 19th, at 8mg/day. I wouldn't recommend stopping at 8mg. It was pretty rough. I tried to taper, but I constantly worried about it (psychologically, worried about withdrawal). One day, I just became sick of worrying and stopped. The withdrawal was bad, but I could tolerate it. I had some clonidine that helped, and I am still taking it now. I swear I still feel withdrawal symptoms (7 weeks later). Some chills, etc. Anxious. I may start it again, because I have pancreatic problems and its very painful. Suboxone actually worked very well for pain.

0.5mg/day is a pretty low dose, so it may go pretty well. Try 0.25 every other day for a few days, then go from there. If you didn't have any problems getting to 0.5mg every other day, you may do quite well. Try not to dwell on it. You can stop now, and if you have any remaining, take very small doses. It took about 3-4 days for me to even experience withdrawal.

All said and done, I feel better, because I am opiate free for quite some time. Unfortunately, I'm far from pain free. Its nearly unbearable.

Post subject: 3 quitting experiences
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am now off Suboxone, I'll get to that in a minute. Briefly, I am a medical professional who became addicted to Vicodin and was actively addicted for nearly 3 years. I have since been arrested, lost my job and license to practice. In my recovery I was exposed to Suboxone and put on and taken off 3 times. Here's how it went.

1-In detox right after I was busted I was put on a rapid taper but could not leave the detox on Suboxone. I stopped after a week and was sent off the rehab. This initial taper in detox was really not hard but that was because I did not know how long the drug stays in your system, the half-life is approximately 36-hours. I arrived at rehab late on a Thursday feeling some initial withdrawal and did not meet with my doctor for 3 days. By this time I was having strong cravings and not sleeping. I was also having some huge leg jerking at night. This was probably because I was getting around 16mg/day for several days in detox.

2-My doctor in rehab put me on Subutex (Suboxone without the Naloxone in it) and began a slow taper. I started at 8mg/day. The taper took 10 weeks for me. I was amazed at how normal I felt and I was able to participate in the recovery meetings and groups. Every time I got to a low dose like .25mg my ability to function normally was hindered. I was experiencing withdrawal. Darvon helped a little, Gabapentin did nothing for my withdrawal. I was ultimately told I could not graduate from the rehab on Subutex or Suboxone and my taper was stopped. I was in acute withdrawal for about a week with the first 5 days being hell. I could barely move, I couldn't sleep and was barely participating in my groups and such. I was off for about 6 weeks and throughout that time I had off and on cravings and anxiety that was really bad. I was also very depressed with no job, stress at home and limited money with HUGE bills to pay.

3-I was put back on Suboxone by my addiction psychiatrist when I got home. My max dose was only 12 mg. I was on this dose for 9 months while I got into my recovery community at home and adjusted to my new life and settle my court/legal issues. I was then told in order to go back to medicine as a clinician I would have to be off the Suboxone. This has been hard for me to accept because of how stable I had been on the drug. My taper this time took 3 months and was hard to stop at the end. However. I remained at 1mg for 5 weeks or so and my withdrawal coming off was by far the easiest I've had. It still sucked, no doubt. I was functionless for 3 days but my leg jerking was very slight. I have been off now for about 3 weeks. I think it was easier because I had a recovery group to talk out my experiences with and I am motivated to try recovery off the Suboxone.

I am still uncomfortable, I have cravings daily, I am very weak which is the hardest thing, and fatigue easily. I am also needing Seroquel for sleep at night. I really don't know if I can do recovery off the Suboxone. I want to but it is hard. I hope that it will get better. I do know that if I find myself on opiates again I will immediately seek Suboxone to stop any major consequence of my use.

I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Holy cow, you take Seroquel as a sleep aid? Isn't that an antipsychotic?

I wonder if your fatigue is a side effect of the Seroquel? Or a combination of the Seroquel and lack of suboxone?

I only ask because my doc put me on Seroquel once and I was like a zombie.

Post subject: Seroquel
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, Seroquel is an anti-psychitic. I tried Trazadone but the hangover was bad and it messed up my ability to smell and taste so bad I could not take it anymore. Seroquel is a bit of a big gun for sleep but it is the only thing that has worked for me. I'm trying to wean it off now.

The fatigue is real. It is a true side effect of coming off of the Suboxone. I'm sure it has to due with brain recepters but also my overall deconditioned state and poor diet. These last two things I'm am trying to right. I'm feeling better but not there yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh, I don't doubt the fatigue is real. I have it too. Exercising seems to help.

I started the tapering method this week that Dr Junig mentioned on his blog - dissolving the Sub in water so I can fine tune the reduction. I dropped my dose by 200mcgs four days ago and so far so good - this is the least withdrawals I've felt. The reduction before I dropped by 500mcgs and it was pretty harsh.

I hope it keeps working. Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just wanted to throw my two cents into the mix. I was on sub for 11 months and have been off for ten months. Things are not nearly what i would consider good. I have no energy yet I get exercise daily. I sweat all day (very embarrasing), i am so restless at night my wife can't even sleep in the same bed as me, I really don't sleep its mostly just rolling around. I am very depressed and avoid social interaction at any cost. I think I am alienating people more now than was nodding off all day on junk. If your just getting on it stay on it just as detox tool. Maintenance is a JOKE!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Everybody's different I guess. One thing I can tell you from experience is that no matter what happens, if you don't pick up again after you quit, life returns and it will feel great. I personally felt rough for quite awhile, but it got better and then it got great. Exercise helps and keeping yourself busy helps with the mind, though it can be rough if the body isn't quite feeling it. Immodium can really help initially, though I wouldn't take it too long as it is also an opiate (though not one that crosses the blood brain barrier) that will bind to the receptors in your stomach helping a lot with stomach discomfort and heebie jeebies (assuming you have them). I always say, hope for the best, but plan for the worst. Oh, and try to keep stress to an absolute minimum. Stress seems to make things worse...always.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is day 14 since stopping; still feel awful, not really any better since quitting. I was on MMT for over 4 years;tapered down and switched to bupe. I took suboxone for 2 months(going from 20 then 16, 12, 8,4,2 for a week or so each drop). I haven't felt good for a long time because of the methadone taper, and the suboxone never really stabilized me.I'm really discouraged--would like to KNOW this will end. And, of course, I realize that PAWS will happen, too. I REALLY want to be off all opiates (their side effects are a problem for me). I realize that everyone is different, but can anyone give me any encouragement?

Post subject: not over yet
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is day 30 off suboxone. Although I am better, I still have physical withdrawal symptoms. After multiple withdrawal experiences before ever getting on MMT, I know the symptoms well. I can handle the mental stuff, but this ill feeling is tiring me out. Advil, imodium, and phenergan help some. Has anyone ever had withdrawal symptoms for this long (or longer!?!)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am ten days off Suboxone and feeling...fine. I've had a problem with waking up at 4am and not getting back to sleep, but I took clonidine last night and slept 8 hours. I've been going to work, going to the gym, cleaning my house, got registered for school and threw a birthday party during this time. I've also given myself time to rest, meditate and take lots of hot baths.

I have a thread already in the Stopping Suboxone section of the forum with all the details if you want to read it. I did a long, slow taper down to .2mgs and stopped. The withdrawal has been about as annoying as a mild cold. Like the kind of cold where you don't feel 100% but you're not really sick enough to call in to work.

There's lots of info in my thread about how I'm getting thru this. Or pm me with questions, I'm always glad to help.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:07 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I was on Suboxone for 2 to 3 years starting at 16mgs a day and then slowly tapered down to 2mgs. From that point I went to 1mg, then .5mg, then crumbs for a week or so. I have now been off for a bit over 6 weeks.

My biggest complaints right now are anxiety and fatigue. Although those sympthoms are slowly getting better - they are getting better. I was initially confused for awhile as to why this was persisting but learned that it is simply my bodies reaction to no opiates.

My point is, hang in there and things will get better. Time is the only real cure - your brain needs time to readjust and you have to accept that while also being 100% behind living a clean life. Exercise, talking about your feelings and eating well will also help.

My anxiety and fatigue would not have allowed me to make even this simple post 3 weeks ago. The fact that I am even writing this is a confirmation that I am beginning to get better. My sympthoms are still acute but have steadily got better - almost intermittent at times now.

As I began to feel better - I will be writing more posts now in order to share my overall experienes with Suboxone with the hope that it helps someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Craker15... Thanks so much for the post!! I have been on the sub for two weeks and am wondering if I will have any w/d. I have heard it one is one it that short of a time it should not be that bad. I have been on it for a long time before and was pretty uncomfortable getting off so I didn't want to get myself in that predicament again.

Thanks again! I really feel positively that it will be okay or at least tolerable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank You for your information and congrats on getting off Suboxone.I hope you have a strong trigger prevention strategy in place. The next six months are going to have some difficult moments in regards to temptation, but with a good support system and a strong will you can do this!
Let me add that I feel your taper should have lasted quite a bit longer.The best outcome comes when you wait at least two months or so to drop down from each dose.It takes about a week for one dose of Suboxone to work it's way out of your system, so a couple of months gives you enough time to adjust to the smaller dose, and you have a smoother transition.
Also, the way you feel upon completion is not determined by how long or short you're treatment duration is.There are other factors such as your overall health, amount of time you abused opiates, quantity of abused amount, psychological functioning, pre existing mood disorders, etc. Many variables play a part in how you feel physically once you stop using Suboxone.
Again, congrats and please keep us posted on your journey.The information is vital to anyone in this treatment!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:22 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

hi all. I too was very worried about stopping Sub. I kept searching the web and only found horror stories. very few good ones. I think that the people that don't have too bad a time don't really bother posting but the ones that are suffering do??
I was on Sub 2 years at 4mg. This after 15 years of Methadone 80mg and using every day on top. I got down to 20 mg methadone and changed over. while reducing sub I would get very angry and frustrated as every tiny dose reduction seemed to be very noticeable.
it has taken 2 years to get off. I found that the lower the dose the less I felt the WD. I was trying to reduce by the tiniest amount like 0.125 each time and still felt it. I shouldn't have bothered but just reduced by a decent amount. it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference .
I got down to 1 mg about 2 months ago. then sucked it up and went to 0.5. you know what..it wasn't that bad. while I decided to not go to the gym that week I could still run my business. the first 3 days I just wanted to hurry up and get back to watching tv on the lounge. Once there I was ok.
I was going to drop to 0.25 but thought I could only muster the resolve for a weeks worth of wd so decided to jump at 0.5.
well... all ok. no difference from going from 0.5 to 0.25 to just jumping. I had tried going from 0.5 to 0.25 a couple of weeks before but went back to 0.5.
Last 0.5 on Sun am. Mon, Tue was just ok. Wed a bit worse but not horrible by any stretch. could still work and function. Thu feeling better. now over the hump. just feel a lack of energy. wd basically stopped by Fri.
I did a very slow taper but would go back and forward all the time. especially if I had meetings or a outing in the evening etc. I would love to have that little extra .25 to pick me up.
don't be too hard on yourself. even while reducing you can still have a little top up here and there to get through things you need to.
it doesn't seem to set you back at all, just postpones that days receptor recovery. while in mild wd your receptors are recovering and as long as you dont up the dose more than a day the hard work isn't undone. obviously it is better to just keep forging through but it can be relentless sometimes and a little break is needed for strength occasionally. this doesn't include using any DOC. only the tiniest dose of Sub to get relief for half a day etc..
I used to wish when on Methadone/dope that WD were like the flu or a cold. I got my wish. it isn't that bad. I think that as SUB is so great as a maintenance drug and we feel so great while on it and stable that anything less than this is just awful.
it is so doable. the definition of mild withdrawals. still, you would not want to spend too much time in this state but so much easier. After 2 years on Sub and not to mention the other 15 on methadone and dope. I got through it in 5-7 days. not the weeks and months described over the various posts.
good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:21 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Also,testosterone may help. I go to the gym and lift. Been getting a bit bigger through last couple years while on Sub. Go through times when i use 500mg weekly test every few months. I had been doing for last month but decided not to waste my weekly shot due to jumping off the last 0.5 sub last week. So it had been 2 weeks since last test.
I was doing ok to the 6th day. Felt worse than day 5.. F..k. I couldnt bear it. Got very down and in wd. Decided to just have my testosterone as was starting back at gym on the mon anyway.
Had test on fri. Its day 7 and am f...ing powering.. yes. can still feel mild wd underneath but strong and very very positive. I can easily do another week like this. Im at the gym now posting between sets! Can feel wd but ok, just feel a little wide eyed and a coolness that sweeps my skin here and there. Looking forward to finishing and having breakfast and read the paper ( its sunday)
Yesterday (day 6) i was very depressed and felt terrible.
Just my experience. Will see what day 8 is...hope its ok.