It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What are the exact risks of quitting sub in the third trimester? And How many weeks clean would it take to prevent NAS?
Thanx! Oh i am 38 weeks on 2mg a day. Scared to death my little boy will have NAS...doctor knows but is not familiar with sub....and my sub doc is also very uneducated with sub/pregnancy...scary right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:56 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello CaliX
They had a really great post yesterday are the day before about the experience of having a baby while on subs. I can not find it wish I could it was a really good read.

I know having a healthy baby is the most important thing to you right now and that is understood. I would read all the great post in the subs and pregnancy section. I really can't give you any advise because I'm not really sure what is best for you and your baby. What I can say is I have read some post of really good turn out with having babies while on subs.
Wish you and your baby lots of joy and good health.
Mel :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't have the source at hand right now, but the third trimester is NOT the time to quit or taper off sub. The ideal time to do that is the second trimester. In the first trimester, there's a high risk of miscarriage and in the third trimester there's a high risk of premature birth. I know this isn't what you want to hear, and I'm sorry to be the one to tell you.

Just know that plenty of women have remained on suboxone, some have even not told their doctors about it (personal decision), and had perfectly healthy babies - many without any NAS whatsoever. Take a look at some of the threads in this section.

I'm sure there are many people who have delivered will chime in with their stories and their unique support. Hang in there and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, being 38 weeks I wouldn't worry about premature birth but it is likely putting your body under that stress could cause you to go into labor. I think at 38 weeks it's probably better to either stay at your current dose or if you feel ok drop your dose a bit. I have no experience to base this on but being so close to delivery I don't think your baby would have time to get the sub out of his/her system. Stopping now may just cause your baby to be born in the middle of withdrawls. Again this is just my guess, I do not work in the medical field.

Mel is right, read thru the pregnancy section. There are many stories there of healthy babies born on sub. It will also give you a lot of info on the right way to handle the drs and nurses. Congrats on your coming bundle of joy! Please try not to worry, sub is very safe for unborn babies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also wanted to add that if you stopped now you would likely deliver in withdrawl. I am not sure if you have given birth before but I can't imagine going thru labor while in withdrawl. I wouldn't think it would even be safe as both withdrawl and labor can have major effects on your blood pressure. I really feel at this point the safest thing for you would be to stay on the sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also wanted to add that if you stopped now you would likely deliver in withdrawl. I am not sure if you have given birth before but I can't imagine going thru labor while in withdrawl. I wouldn't think it would even be safe as both withdrawl and labor can have major effects on your blood pressure. I really feel at this point the safest thing for you would be to stay on the sub.