It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:47 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So I will hit 4 months off suboxone tomorrow, but that is not really the reason I am posting. The last couple weeks I have been suffering off and on from depression. I am not currently working any recovery program and have used alcohol and weed. I have always believed myself to be more of someone that was dependent on opiates then a true addict. Could be delusional. Only time will tell.

I recently decided to quit smoking to match many of the other positive life style choices I have made. Since getting off subs cigarettes have really disgusted me, so a week ago I just decided to go for it. I really didn't know what I was in for. I've never really had much anxiety or depression in my life even before drugs or while on them. Since quitting though I have been a nervous wreck. I have been short with all my co-workers and basically blowing up on my friends over nothing.

Am I trying to give up too much too fast? From what I read about quitting smoking its tough, but I am going into full blown panic attacks over it and I was not a heavy smoker by any means.

It just seems like every time I want to make improvements in my life it becomes this huge ordeal and while I focus on that one thing NOTHING else gets done.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:53 pm 

My suggestion is that you seek a doctor's help. I would hate to see you start smoking again to relieve the anxiety and bad temper, but maybe you can be helped by some nicotine gum or something similar. I don't have experience in this area, but I hope others who do will quickly respond. Hold on! Take things one day at a time. You'll get through this! And good for you for improving your health!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Tiki,
When I came off subs about 6.5 months ago I quit smoking at the same time. The withdrawal made the cigarettes taste awful and I had wanted to quit for a while. The first few months were easy as I was dealing with coming off subs and had no desire to smoke. After I began to feel better my cravings for a smoke were crazy and I noticed I was short with people and agitated. I ended up telling everyone in advance that I had quit smoking and if I blew up at them I didn't mean it. That helped along with the fact that everyone supported me like crazy in quitting smoking. I now don't have any problems not smoking. It gets easier alot faster than sub withdrawal. And you'll feel so much better. Food taste better, etc.