It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I'll start from the beginning. I started taking vikes in highschool, just like 3 at a time on weekends and other occasions. Well after graduating highschool, I joined the Marine Corps, served 4 years and every now and then when one of my buddies got some, they would hook me up with a few but there was no dependency or withdraws. Also, every time I went on leave, I would take them because all of my friends were on them as well. But still, everytime I'd go back I would have no problems and lifes still good. Well I did my 4 years and got out nov. 2007. Then once again I would get with my buddies and take about 3 at a time once a day. Sometimes it would be dry for a few days but it wasn't really a big deal, no feeling of withdraws but just still wanted them. I was doing that consistantly for about a year and then I jumped to 4 at a time, once a day. then about a month later it was 4 in the morning and 4 more at night. and sure enough, about last december, It was 5 before work, 5 after work and like 3 around 8 at night, and on weekends, it would be anywhere from 15-20 a day.
Well my friend was a little worst then me and he went to a Dr and got prescribed Suboxone and said it works good, so I had him give me a couple and that was the day I quit taking vikes. it was like last April. I would just get them off my friends taking 4mg in the morning and 4 mg after work and it was working great. Well last month (july 09) I finally got insurance and went to the Dr. and he put me on 16mg a day but I wasn't taking that much so I got rid of the 30 I wont take and continued on the 8mg a day.
Well my girlfriend and I got in an arguement last wednesday and she wants me off them so I told her I'll stop. Which I though its a good idea because I just got laid off for a couple weeks so it would be perfect time for the withdraws. I got rid of my last 20, but kept 1 for friday because I had a softball game and she said I can keep it for that. So thursday I took a 1/4 of the pill, felt good. And on friday, took the 3/4 and was fine. Saturday was day 1 without Sub's and i felt completely normal. Sunday I felt just fine also. The last 3 days have gradually gone worst. The only thing that I really can't stand is where I feel really uncomfortable when sitting and laying down and hard to get some sleep due to that.
I've been readin a lot of these posts and it seems like everyone that has stopped are saying "its like week 7 now and it still sucks" I believe I can withstand hard withdraws but not if i feel like what i did last night for the next few months.

I just wanna know if or when things will start normaling off, I'd appreciate any and all help. thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Unfortunately, you have not followed a taper schedule of any kind.I must stress that it is impossible to tell you how long you are going to feel badly because every situation is completely unique.There is NEVER a way to guarantee the physical effects of any drug on anyone.It could be months, it could be weeks- nobody knows. I know you promised your GF you would quit but what neither of you realize is that Suboxone requires a long tapering process in order to get off of it with the least amount of discomfort.When done correctly, there are cases where people feel NO symptoms. I stress the word "correctly" because most people who rush off Suboxone are taking matters into their own hands and ultimately pay the price.
The best advice I could offer you is to continue on the Suboxone where you left off and drop your dose every other month til you get down to the smallest dose possible before you jump off- if you don't want to experience long term withdrawal symptoms. You never should have gotten rid of your medication, nor should you buy it off the street- it is illegal and if you get caught, what would you do? Other than legal ramifications, I would surely bet you had no idea how long Suboxone stays in your system, how you should taper off the drug, or what post acute withdrawal symptom is.Your doctor that prescribed the Suboxone should have told you about the uniqueness of this drug, and that it is not a quick fix for pill addiction.Suboxone treatment is a process with specific protocol and if you do things differently, as you have learned, there are consequences.
I don't know what you will decide, but I hope you at least talk to the doctor that prescribed your Suboxone and explain the situation to him and get professional help for your situation.Please keep us posted about what happens and good luck!

Last edited by shelwoy on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum!

Why did your girlfriend want you to quit in the first place? Was there a valid reason? Maybe you could explain to her that it beats a nasty relapse. Perhaps she just doesn't understand it or anything and just thinks its 'bad'. I guess you could try to explain, and maybe you already have.

Whenever a girlfriend/wife/etc would demand I quit smoking for instance, it never worked out. You have to stop for yourself and really not for somebody else. I'm sure you already know that though because it sounds like you are really willing to try.

As far as the withdrawal goes, I stopped once at 8mg/day and it was around 4 weeks in duration. You can't exactly put a finger on how long it lasts, because it varies from person to person. I developed PAWS afterwards that actually may have even been worse than the acute withdrawal. I stopped then for my own silly reasons and I was just being stubborn I guess.

Shes right about the illegal part. Suboxone diversion is pretty serious business. Its a felony, and you could get YEARS for it, let alone the huge expense of defending yourself. A lot of other think 'oh, its just a prescription drug'. But, what if you gave it to someone and they died from an overdose? In this state, its manslaughter. It happened a few months back here in Wisconsin.

Besides the point, are you a war veteran? I'm sure the stress from that doesn't help. I know some others who were in Iraq and it really has changed them.

Stay in touch ok? Let us know what happens. We're here if you need us.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree that you should talk to your doctor. Even if you don't decide to go back on Suboxone, your doc can give you some other meds to help you get thru the withdrawal. I found clonidine and ambien helpful at different phases of my Sub taper and withdrawal.

Good luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

1st thing- me buying the vikes off the streets were illegal
2nd thing- the suboxone i got rid of was to my buddy who is prescribed them but cant afford the 9 dollars to get them out. and hes the one who was giving them to me to try to wean me off of vikes.
3rd the doctor that gave me the script didnt say anything and pretty much answered all my questions for me. he just wants a 65 dollar a month check. aka a shady doctor.

The thing with me, I read about suboxone from the wrong sites. I've stopped taking vikes quite a few times between 5-10 days and i felt a strong withdraw for like 3 days and that was it. no problem. I had plenty of friends that quit vikes. dealt with the withdraws for the few days and that was it. If I would of read these forums of people saying that they feel horrible still after 2 weeks, 2 months, hell even 1 I heard 11 months then I would never have started these. So yeah I take full responsibility for taking these by only reading up on them from sites that are trying to promote the drug.
I am a war veteran but the stress issues and anxiety has never been a problem. The whole thing is I just dont get this drug! Why not waste the 3 days of hell instead paying lots of money and then from what I've read on these forums is even after years of TAPERING, people still deal with weeks of WD's. Obviously I'm dealing with just vikes and some others are dealing with drugs like heroin(which is also illegal buddy) so yeah maybe the Sub's are worth it because its a drug I am unfamiliar with and don't know the severity of withdraws.
So wrong or right of my girlfriend, I believe (Dr.'s?) overdue it on this drug because I felt fine off of 4mg but he wanted me to take 16mg. and like I said this is day 5 and from what I read I feel the same way a lot of others felt off from the taper act during day 5 of their cut off date. So I will definately keep you all informed but my suggestion to anyone who is addicted to vikes. DON'T DO THE SUBOXONE'S! 3 days of hell or 3 months? Any other drug, don't ask me because I am unfamiliar with!
Semper Fi!

And sorry for breaking the pro's and con's of suboxone's but people need to be informed of any and all types of opinions and experiences

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry about the last reply, just got a little on the defensive for a moment there. I'm just a little edgy HAHA if you know what I mean. The thing about getting on like antidepressants and xanax and things like that slows me down and I just cant stand them. I'm just a little aggrivated for being off these and thinking the vike WD would be done with by now and here I am thinking its day 5 so I'm pretty much at the finish line and start seeing on these forums that no one is really at a finish line after long periods of time. I appreciate you guys showing concern and sorry again for taking it the wrong way. But again on my GF's behalf, I'm now an electrician in the great unemployed state of MI. our company laid everyone off last week for a month. So me and her just realized this would be the perfect time for me to deal with the withdraws and knowing my insurance will be lifted for this month, I wouldn't be able to afford the 9 dollars each for the Sub's so with her wishes and lack of money, it pretty much had to be a now or never thing. Thanks again for hearing me out and again sorry for the attack mode but i just got a little dumbfounded when I heard the whole Illegal issue thinking everyone is here pretty much for doing something illegal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The point of taking Suboxone is not just getting off of your drug of choice, be that vicodin or heroin. If all you're trying to do is detox, then yeah, Sub might not be the best choice. But as many of us know from hard experience, getting through that 3 days of hell is the easy part. The hard part is staying off after that.

The reason why I, and many other opiate addicts, chose to take Sub long-term is because it effectively puts addiction into remission. Suboxone took away my cravings as well as my withdrawal, and the fact that it blocks the effects of other opiates served as a back-up insurance that I wouldn't relapse. No cravings meant no obsession to use, which freed me to work on my life and fix the damage I'd done to it when I was using.

Some people choose to stay on Suboxone indefinitely because to them that is a better choice than relapsing repeatedly. I stayed on Sub for close to 2 years, and took my time tapering off of the medication. I finished my Suboxone treatment at the beginning of August with very little withdrawal symptoms. I have kicked a vicodin habit many times, and this was much easier. Also, every time I kicked a habit in the past I was back using again within a week.

Addiction is a progressive disease, which means it gets worse the longer it goes untreated. I used opiates for many years and was always able to quit for a while when I wanted or needed to. I started by abusing vicodin, moved up to oxycontin, and by the time I got treatment I was addicted to dilaudid - something I NEVER thought would happen to me. I could not kick that dilaudid habit on my own - even when I managed to stay off of the drugs, the depression that followed the withdrawal was crippling. Suboxone helped me break out of that cycle. I think if you read around the forum you'll find the same to be true for many of us.

Maybe Suboxone is not the right medication for you. That's for you and your doctor to decide. If you were addicted to vicodin, you will probably need a plan and some support to stay off of the vicodin. Good luck and let us know if we can help in some way.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:49 am 
Amen Diary!! You are so right! It's not getting off opiates that's the biggest bitch, it's staying off for more than a week or two!! I am sure there are folks who have perhaps not been on opiates all that long or maybe not very consistently, who can get off of them with a few days withdrawal and go on with their lives. I often wonder about myself - if I had just had the foresight to know where I was headed and got off the pain pills sooner, maybe there would have been no need for Suboxone, etc. etc.
However, that was not the case and is not the case for so many others. Am I 100% positive that I have done the right thing by starting Sub? No, not 100%. Am I scared of the withdrawals/PAWS when it's time to come off Sub? Oh yeah! But was I doing worth a crap trying to get off opiates by using other methods? Uhh, no! Have I felt better with or without Suboxone; am I functioning better with or without Suboxone? Definitely better with Suboxone.
While it may not be the answer for everyone in all situations, Suboxone is a legal, safe, viable alternative for some of us when used as directed.
Sure, the "legal/illegal" word stirs us all up! There are a LOT of us who are not hard-core criminals by any means, but we have done illegal things in regards to our drug use. As ugly as it sounds, the truth is what the truth is - we certainly could have been arrested for some of the things we have done. It's easy to think "well it's just a few friends sharing some Rx meds, no one will get hurt" but we can and do get hurt by it. I don't think anyone here is trying to be judgmental, I certainly am the LAST one to judge, but it's just reality!
SDrew, I wish you and your girlfriend all the best! If you continue to feel crappy especially to the point of feeling you've gotta get ahold of some Vic - get back on your Sub. Maybe just 4mg/day for a while, then slowly taper off so you'll have a better chance of an easier withdrawal and a lower liklihood of relapse! Keep us posted!
Thanks for serving our country!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks setmefree!

I think the reason why some of us get upset about people diverting their Suboxone (selling or giving it away) is that we know that the government will use that against us as a reason to make it harder to get Suboxone. One of the great things about Sub (in the US at least) is that you can get it from a regular doctor and fill your scrip at a regular pharmacy. You can get a month's supply with refills and take your meds in the privacy of your own home. I'm sure that the restrictions placed on methadone have discouraged some addicts from getting help, but with Suboxone it's way less hassle.

I have a google alert for Suboxone on my gmail account which alerts me when Suboxone is mentioned in the media. Almost every single alert for Suboxone is about it being found on somebody when they get arrested or in a car wreck or something...and it's almost always been obtained illegally. Several people have died after mixing illegally-obtained Suboxone with benzos and/or alcohol. More stories than I can count tell of people being arrested for possession of multiple illegal narcotics...and suboxone. If enough of these stories rack up, we can kiss our freedom of Suboxone goodbye.

On another note, setmefree, do not dread coming of Sub. Just work hard on your recovery and your health while you are on it. You will know when (and if) you are ready. I did it after nearly 2 years and it really was not bad at all.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I brought up the legality issues just to make you aware of what could happen.It wasn't to put you down in any way, I have done my fair share of illegal purchasing myself. You really do not want to take a chance with having that kind of stuff on your record is all I meant. There is no reason for me to repeat what others have said, so hopefully you understand why I mentioned it in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just wanted to say that in my experience quitting my drug of choice was just the beginning as others here have already mentioned. It was staying quit. I could be totally clean for several months at a time but I still thought about using opiates daily. I ended spending as much time avoiding opiates as I did using opiates. I can tell you from first hand experience that while each time I quit I said I'd never use opiates again I always ended up eventually going back on my promises to myself and others. Suboxone has given me the freedom to both quit using opiates and not have to spend 24/7 avoiding opiates and wishing I wasn't clean. I definately agree that I think Suboxone is best thought of as a long term maintenance medication that puts opiate addiction into remission, making using both undesirable and an impossibility. I would also just like to say that while I've certainly done my fair share of illegal selling and buying of medication, since I've started on Suboxone I haven't and I do think that there's the potentialy for Suboxone to end up like methadone where patients are forced into attending clinics daily if those now on Suboxone continue selling their meds to others. I realize now that the law is the law and I'm not above it or too special to be held to the standards of "others". Please for all who read this try and start doing the right thing by not selling your meds I sure hope the minority doesn't mess up something with the potential to save many lives as Suboxone. Anyways coming down off the soapbox but I do want to suggest others hoping to taper off Suboxone use a tapering schedule instead of just jumping off to make things easier on themselves. Best of luck USMC,
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

day 8............drrrrrrrrrrrrr.......I have some points to get a cross haha but can't word them correctly right now. My update is that I kinda sloped down for the past few days and have stayed there. day one and two felt great. day 3-4-5 feeling more and more like shit. and the last 3 days have been completely mirrored. I play softball and had a game last night no big problem but its the time when I wanna go to sleep that kills me. I cannot get comfortable or get to sleep to save my life. I remember when I would quit vikes it would be hard to sleep so I would take 4 tylenol pm and be out. Last night I got hammered, was thinking "ok now I'll get some sleep" I passed out at 12 woke up at 3 sober and couldn't get to sleep again. 3 night ago, I took 6 tylenol PM and they worked like caffeine pills. and 2 nights ago, I got ahold of some xanax, and I never take those cause they knock me out, I took a couple passed out again for a couple hours and then same as last night, up 3-4 hours later wide awake. If I can find a way to get sleep at night I really think I can get through this. Im even thinking about smoking weed which is another thing I dont do cause it knocks me out. So if anyone has any idea how long this sleep thing might go on for or how to get sleep, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Day 8..

YOU PLAYED SOFTBALL!

Try playing softball in the midst of oxycodone withdrawal.

You have to admit, its milder and yes it lasts longer. You are still able to function, as I was. Yes, the lack of sleep was real annoying I had that too.

Taking 8 PM's is [b]DANGEROUS[b]. You can have a psychotic reaction! Benadryl is a deliriant, the CIA tested it along with PCP, LSD, etc. They found it to be too powerful from what I read.

Be careful!!!!!!!!

Post subject: vics are not oxy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

semper fi , former combat war vet myslf ,vics arent even close or simaler to oxycontin like oxy isnt to H,,QUESTION is does subx help any of us or get us addicted to something else ,im posting badly im sorry ,im going back to my doc thurs 0900 ,is he selling me to much,20 mg a day 6 days without a pill thats big for me,or proud of myself ,maybe someone will step up.with real answers someday Former JAR,been to West Beruit and Iraq,we made it out alive anyways,and im not post traumatic anything,why is the dr trying to put me on Zoloft ive never been depressed in my life or have OCD,usually i hit a J or have a scotch when imdown,,please never check the vics for Perc then Oxycontins thats what happen to me,Weigh yourself everday.
Nobama
Major,,FtLauderdale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I see you were playing softball on day 8, WOW! you got no problem. Count your blessings. Not sleeping, No problem. Man I went through the most horrible withdraws possible. Throwing up for days and nights hot and cold sweats, night crawls, the crazy legs I could not get out of the bed let alone go outside and play. I;m not trying to offend you. I just wanted to point out that most of us went through some terible withdraws before getting on the subox. I am not trying to minimize your pain and suffering I know whatever your going though is bad for you. whatever missery we"re going through at that moment is the worse for us. I just want to say, if your out playing, your on your way back the worse is probable over. In a few days or another week your should be sleeping fine. they have natural sleep aids in most of the GNC stores. Check it out. Thanks for serving our country. You will do great.

Darren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
semper fi , former combat war vet myslf ,vics arent even close or simaler to oxycontin like oxy isnt to H,,QUESTION is does subx help any of us or get us addicted to something else ,im posting badly im sorry ,im going back to my doc thurs 0900 ,is he selling me to much,20 mg a day 6 days without a pill thats big for me,or proud of myself ,maybe someone will step up.with real answers someday Former JAR,been to West Beruit and Iraq,we made it out alive anyways,and im not post traumatic anything,why is the dr trying to put me on Zoloft ive never been depressed in my life or have OCD,usually i hit a J or have a scotch when imdown,,please never check the vics for Perc then Oxycontins thats what happen to me,.Weigh yourself everday.
Nobama
Major,,FtLauderdale

Vicodin and oxycodone are alike in the respect that they are both synthetic opiates, strength is not as much an issue as physical and psychological effects, and you can add Heroin to the family for that.
I am having trouble understanding exactly what answers you are looking for. Could you be more specific?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Diary of a Quitter wrote:
Thanks setmefree!

I think the reason why some of us get upset about people diverting their Suboxone (selling or giving it away) is that we know that the government will use that against us as a reason to make it harder to get Suboxone. One of the great things about Sub (in the US at least) is that you can get it from a regular doctor and fill your scrip at a regular pharmacy. You can get a month's supply with refills and take your meds in the privacy of your own home. I'm sure that the restrictions placed on methadone have discouraged some addicts from getting help, but with Suboxone it's way less hassle.

I have a google alert for Suboxone on my gmail account which alerts me when Suboxone is mentioned in the media. Almost every single alert for Suboxone is about it being found on somebody when they get arrested or in a car wreck or something...and it's almost always been obtained illegally. Several people have died after mixing illegally-obtained Suboxone with benzos and/or alcohol. More stories than I can count tell of people being arrested for possession of multiple illegal narcotics...and suboxone. If enough of these stories rack up, we can kiss our freedom of Suboxone goodbye.

On another note, setmefree, do not dread coming of Sub. Just work hard on your recovery and your health while you are on it. You will know when (and if) you are ready. I did it after nearly 2 years and it really was not bad at all.

Um I was just wondering where you live that any doc can prescribe suboxone? I live in ND and only certain docs can prescrible here and they are only alotted so many patients so its real hard to get on a program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you preferred the vicodin withdrawal to sub's, then you could have just switchs back to vicodins for a couple of days and then stopped cold turkey. I'm sure that in your case it would probably have been easier in terms of detoxing since you don't seem to have that big of a habit. Although at this point you should just stick with what your doing. If by day 8 you were out playing softball, then I would say you're doing just fine.

The thing with suboxone is that it is a 'complete package' for lack of a better term. If you went cold turkey with vicodins, then you would have detoxed, but your addiction would still there and as strong as ever. Suboxone helps people lead a normal life while they work on bettering themselves in the hope of beating their addiction, such that by the time they decide to quit using it, they stand a much better chance at staying clean. You shouldn't dwell on not sleeping too much. Instead, you should consider yourself lucky for two reasons: 1. you are not using; and 2. it was much easier than what other people have been through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yesabela,

I didn't mean to say that every doctor can prescribe Suboxone. Any doctor who applys for the DATA waiver and takes the 8 hour class can prescribe Suboxone. Once prescribed, you can get your medication at a regular pharmacy. This is much different from the way methadone is dispensed. Addicts can only get methadone from a methadone clinic and the medication is dispensed on site. Patients have to go to the clinic daily to get their medication for quite a while before they can earn "take homes."

Sorry if I caused any confusion. The patient limit does suck, especially in areas where there aren't enough prescribers. Have you been able to get an appointment?

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: Frustration!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dear Diary...lol

Yes, I have been on the Suboxone program for a little over nine months. I am now down to 1mg and having some slight withdrawls but they are not anything I cant handle. Unfortunately, there is only one prescribing doc within a 400 mile radius of my home town and he is a complete douche bag! He stopped filling my scripts about a week ago (I was taking 2mgs daily). His reason to me was that he didn't feel it necessary to go any lower. However, I recently lost my insurance and word on the street is that he is over his patient limit, so I suppose I was an easy target for elimination. I am upset for several reasons but one of the main ones is that I felt like I was sot of forced to buy suboxone off the street! I tried to quit taking it several months ago and a month into it I couldn't handle it anymore and got back on a very low dose (4mg). I can't go thru that again( I am a mother of 3, a full time student, and do part time daycare out of my home) and thats the reason I feel forced to take matters into my own hands. I really believe that the Suboxone doc here has no business working with addicts. He is not in it to help people, he does it for the power. Unless one would want to quit using cold turkey, he is the only option around here. There are not even any methadone clinics in my state! I could name several people off hand that would like to start their journey towards sobriety but just dont know how. I have been an addict for over half of my life (I'm 26), been through several treatments (this is the longest I have ever been clean!! WOOHOO!), and have NEVER come across a doctor like the one here. I posted a reply in this topic earlier that explains things a bit more...check it out if you want.

I was also wondering, I have been reading about administering sub doses dissolved in water...do you happen to know how that works? Do you put it under your tongue like normal? How much water do you use? I have read several success stories using this method and I am very interested in trying it myself. Then I would be able to get to even a lower dose than I have planned.

Thanks