It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Cutting back on Cig's
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welp, I've been mulling over quitting smoking for about 20 some odd years now and I think the time is about right for me to finally do something about it. In the last few weeks and months, there have been a few "signs" I've noticed that seem to be indicating to me that this may be my time to put down cig's. I think I've suckled at the teet of the nicotine stick for long enough.

Problem is, about a year after I got off Suboxone, I tried quitting and the wd symptoms were eerily similar to opiate wd and seeing as my opiate wd sucked ass pretty bad, I ended up saying, "fuck this noise" and went right back to smoking.

SO, I have come up with a plan to make my nicotine wd's more bearable......a taper!!! If you guys and gals can taper off Suboxone, then why can't I taper of cig's? I know, I know.....I'm brilliant. Hold the applause please.

My plan is to get stable where I'm at, a pack a day. I've been at a pack a day for a few days now. Honest to goodness, I thought I was a pack a day smoker until I got down to a pack a day. Now that I'm actually limiting myself to one pack, I know I was smoking more than that previously. Anyhow, my plan is to drop 1 or 2 cig's every week or two.

Phew.....wish me luck, y'all.

Post subject: Re: Quitting Cig's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

GOOD LUCK!!!! You got this!!! You are a "bad ass" who kicked suboxone's butt! Nicotine hasn't got a chance!!
Very very very very veeeeeery proud of you!!
BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wow, Romeo, so proud of you dude. I'm sure you'll be successful. I've given quitting a try a time or two, but my attempts were half hearted. I didn't really wanna quit, ya know? Just wanted to avoid getting cancer, but still liked smoking way too much, so def necessary to really have the want to, which you have, so you'll do great with it! I always thought during the few attempts I made that the WD symptoms were eerily similar to opioid WD, just to a lesser extent, so I think that's also keeping me from giving it another go. Please keep us posted on your progress... you rock!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks so much guys!! I really appreciate it!

I've tried cold turkey before, as I said earlier, but couldn't hack it. The idea of a taper hit me and I thought, "hell yeah, I can do that."

100% honest, I have no idea how many cig's I was smoking a day prior to this. I'm now guessing I was closer to a pack and a half. I was around a carton a week, which would be just over 28 cig's a day.

Today I'm on track to hit 21. A bit bummed about going over by 1, but I'm not going to get all bent outta shape over it. I'll do better tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
A bit bummed about going over by 1, but I'm not going to get all bent outta shape over it. I'll do better tomorrow.

Progress, Romeo, progress...

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:16 pm 

Good for you, Romes! Just remember that you're aiming for progress, not perfection!

I know you can do it!!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Very cool Romeo. Good idea to taper too! Maybe later on, you can substitute cigs with the gum. I know the gum works, whenever i crave a cig, and just take a piece of gum. I lost 10 pounds when i quit, and i smoked for about a year. After a few years, i've gained about 50 pounds. I cant believe i was so skinny when i smoked! You wont regret this romeo! Nothing but health from here out !! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:24 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Good for you! I started smoking waaayyy young, I don't even want to say how young, AND I've had asthma my whole life. Getting pregnant is what allowed me to quit after about 2 weeks. Sadly, I don't think that will be happening to you any time soon. I have had cigs here and there, but will have maybe 1 then go 2-3 months til I have another. And it's usually at AA/NA meetings. Wow, a pack a day, huh? Ya, I think I would start with a taper, too. That's a pretty healthy nicotine habit, and I assume attempting to quit cold turkey was somewhat reminiscent of coming off of subs. I know a lot of people who have quit after getting clean, and many of them did it different ways, so find whatever works for you. I wish you the best! And I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times, but I'm going to make it a thousand + 1, but you will feel soooo much better once it's out of your system. If you're open to it and can afford it, I have also heard amazing things about acupuncture helping with smoking cessation. Just saying...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I stuck with 21 yesterday. I wanted 22 and 23 pretty bad, but I had already exceeded my goal, so I was able to stop at 21 and it wasn't really too, too hard.

Amy and BF, thank you for the reminder of progress not perfection.

Mojoman, thanks for the tip about the gum. I had completely forgot; I have several packs of the gum right here in my desk. I just opened a piece up (of course, I shot it clear across my office as I was opening it) and I'm gonna have a piece now because early morning is one of the times I tend to smoke too much. I'm only going to keep the gum in for a few minutes, then spit it out. Even if it helps cut out 1 or 2 cig's, that's better than yesterday!

mama, yes, when I tried to quit years ago, the wd symptoms were WAY too much like coming off Sub's. Scared the crap outta me. I think a taper is the way to go. Baby steps, right? I'm really looking forward to feeling better. Here I hit the gym most everyday, try to do cardio on days I don't hit the gym, but smoke a pack a day. Ugh. We'll see how things go with the taper, I may look into acupuncture if I'm having a lot of trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey, I know you wanna bring your nicotine level down, but if the goal is to at least quit the cigarettes first, vapes???

If you use a vape to help you taper and use it to smoke less cigarettes per day, you might end up pushing your nicotine levels up a bit at first but then can bring it back down by using a lower milligram nicotine juice. I've met lots of people who have done it that way, and while it's not the same for everyone, it's arguably more painless than no replacement. Plus, this will mean no weight gain associated with the quitting, so there's a plus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What is your goal today Romeo? And why spit the gum out?? Why not just keep chewing to give your mouth 'something" to do instead of smoke? Is it 2mg or 4mg gum? (I'm so nosey, aren't I??)
Congrats on "21" yesterday!!! We're watching you!! :shock: :shock: :D

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have the 2mg gum. You're not supposed to use the gum and still be smoking. It's supposed to be one or the other. I just thought I'd pop a piece in, get a nicotine fix and cut out 1 or 2 cig's. It kinda worked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
I have the 2mg gum. You're not supposed to use the gum and still be smoking. It's supposed to be one or the other. I just thought I'd pop a piece in, get a nicotine fix and cut out 1 or 2 cig's. It kinda worked.

If you are spitting it out to get "less" nicotine, why don't you just split the gum into two peices, then you are only getting 1mg and can just "enjoy" it as long as you want? Just a thought.

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey BF, I may try that tomorrow!! You know how some people on Suboxone try to maximize absorption by administering it rectally......I'm thinking I may try that with the gum? Hmmmm, maybe not.....sounds like too much damn work and I don't think I can bend over that far.

So, today is looking like a 19 cig day. I only wanted to be at 20, but won't have any issue hitting 19.

I've been trying to keep it at one per hour, but I will have only been up 17 hours by bedtime, so tomorrow I have to figure out where those 2 extra cig's are being smoked. Maybe tomorrow I'll hit 17 and stay there for a bit.....we'll see?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
Hey BF, I may try that tomorrow!! You know how some people on Suboxone try to maximize absorption by administering it rectally......I'm thinking I may try that with the gum? Hmmmm, maybe not.....sounds like too much damn work and I don't think I can bend over that far.

So, today is looking like a 19 cig day. I only wanted to be at 20, but won't have any issue hitting 19.

I've been trying to keep it at one per hour, but I will have only been up 17 hours by bedtime, so tomorrow I have to figure out where those 2 extra cig's are being smoked. Maybe tomorrow I'll hit 17 and stay there for a bit.....we'll see?

Wow, look how well you are doing just by becoming "aware" of your behavior. Remember, you can be the "observer" and stay in control- don't let those damn cigs control you!! You are just SO much stronger than "they" are. Nicotine- another "enemy", get me?
Good luck today!
BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Made it with 19 cig's yesterday.

I figured out where those 2 extra cig's were coming from. I had them while driving. Gotta work on that.

I'm aiming for 19 (or less) again today.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sooooooo.....how's it going?? Did you smoke on the drive to work?? Did you split the gum, or choose instead to shove it in your "glory hole"?? lol :lol:

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:18 pm 

Good for you Romeo. You will not regret the decision to quit. Let me tell you how I did it. It was cold turkey from a pack and ½ a day for 24 years. 1) I asked everyone I knew who quit how they did it and wrote it down. 2) Picked a date one month in the future to build up my will power. 3) Made a list of what bad things cigs do to me. 4) Made another list of what good things quitting will do for me. 5) Got the Nicorette gum. 6) Searched and found a "so called" subliminal tape to listen to as I was falling asleep a week before I quit and during the first two weeks. I have no idea if that helped or not. I just wanted as many tools in my toolbox so I'd succeed. 7) Told myself I was going to quit, not try to quit. Trying is for sissies. Make the commitment and promise to yourself.

When the date came, I quit. I only chewed 2-3 pieces of the 4 mg gum for two weeks and then tapered that down and quit. The two lists I pulled out and read many times for about a month. Was it easy? Of course not. But it was surely better than the 42 other times I tried to quit and failed. I quit April 15, 1990. I'm even now. Smoked for 24 years and have been off for 24.

I know you are doing your taper and that is fine. Just make the commitment brother. Failure is not an option. You won't miss that habit one bit after you've been off it awhile.

rule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:41 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

romeo, I admire your commitment, BF is an annoying is she not, love her, she is trying to keep your ass in check I guess. I just started stopping, quiet an oxy moron eh, I am on Chantix. It works I have cut down on day 7 to 5-6 cig and that's a struggle. I don't even want to smoke that much. They work in your mind in a bizarre way. I don't feel like I want any form of opiate or am I in jeopardy of loosening my mind. moody, yes but it come with the territory. I don't think I will smoke more that 2-3 tomorrow because that all I can take(like I need those cigs to make it, not because I want them). its like clonidine with w/d, it works I smell more, if I piss I smell nicotine, I smell my sweat, bo, others smoking it all makes me sick. not physically, just another mind game, it works man. I plan to give the rest of my cigs away tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there All_apologies!! Thanks for the idea of the vapes. I have considered them, but right now I seem to be doing ok with a taper. If I hit a wall, I may consider the vapes more.

BF, I only smoked once in the car today, but I'm still on track for 18 today. It would have been a 17 day, but I messed up this evening after dinner.

Rule, thanks for sharing your success with me. I like how you listed everything out and you just got up the gumption and said eff it and quit. My man.

dirtyblonde, thanks for the support and I hope you kick cig's ass!! You'll probably get there before me, but I'm hot on your ass, Bud. (well, the hot on your ass part sounds a bit off, but you know what I mean!! :D )