It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

(Edited post - less tough, more love!)

Hello dear dear Romeo!
Just doing a quick "fly by" to tell you I am thinking of you, and I hope your cig taper is going well.

I care about you and I only want the best for you.

Please keep doing what you need to do to find lasting health, peace and serenity.

XO
BF

Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by ButterFLYING! on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
K Bud, I'm going to look for American Spirit tomorrow. There's a tobacco shop in town and I can ask them about it, too.

Thanks for all the research you've done on behalf of me and all the others who happen on this thread.

NP Romeo, you're more than welcome.

Its actually a really poignant subject matter for me, as somebody I know in AA, who is only 52, was recently diagnosed with cancer, a couple of weeks ago. He went to ER because he had a cough that wouldn't go away for months. They did X-rays, saw spots, and he was sent for an MRI right after. Long story short, he was a heavy smoker all of his life, and over last decade or so when they started taxing hell out of tobacco in Michigan on top of Fed taxes, he always bought the cheapest cigs, whatever was on special. Paul Malls, Mavericks, etc. The MRI revealed not only lung cancer, but that it had metastasized, so his body was riddled with it, and they gave him 9 months to 1 year, to live :(

When I got the news, I freaked out. That's way too young to die, and I couldn't get myself out of HIS head, wondering what it must be like to wake up every morning, knowing what he's up against. As an aside, I kind of hate when Drs make death sentence pronouncements.. maybe they are just thinking its best to be realists and not give a patient false hope, but on other hand, IMO, having a authority figure like a doctor, making such a pronouncement. can turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy, since he is preparing to die rather than trying to fight it. For example, he is still smoking, figuring, "i'm going to die anyway, why stop now"

So far, from what I hear (I don't live near him anymore, but used to and was a regular at some of the same meetings he attended, and would do the "after the meeting, meetings" at a diner with him and some others), he seems to be handling it good, still goes to his regular meetings, and says he's trying to be grateful for each day he still has, but I can't imagine what might really be happening underneath it all, and that maybe he's just putting on a good face right now. He has been sober a long time, over 20 years.

Last edited by no_boop_shoo_be_doop on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:07 pm 

I'm sure that you're right, BF, and I know that your latest post was coming from a good and helpful place. Real friends do hold each other accountable, but they also know when it's time to back off a little bit. Romeo should only post because HE wants to, and not please any of us.

I know, BF, that you are showing "tough love" to Romeo because you want to see him succeed! :) But success to him might look like a week that he holds steady at 16 ciggies per day while he is also craving opiates. There's a fine line between encouragement and brow-beating and I think you are on that line

You have already become an asset here on the forum! Keep up the good work and thanks for having the best intentions!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, you better be careful Madame Butterfly, or Romeo will tie weights to your tiny l'il butteflying legs, like he suggested for Trainer's birds. Think I'm kidding? See: doing-t10439-580.html#p89213 :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:

I know that your latest post was coming from a good and helpful place.
There's a fine line between encouragement and brow-beating and I think you are on that line
.... and thanks for having the best intentions!

Amy

Thanks Amy for holding ME accountable. Although kind of you to say, I am not 100% sure any of the above is 100% true. I think the insomnia may be catching up to me.
Reading it again, I can see that I was really not "on" the line, I believe I crossed it. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Sorry Romeo. I will "edit" my post- way too much "tough" ....way too little "love".

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's all good, dudes.

Boop, your post really hit me between the eyes. I'm making progress, but I do need to step it up. I went out and got the American Spirit cig's Monday. They taste amazingly normal. They burn pretty slow, too. As of now, I'm about half my cig's in AS and the other half, Marlboro. When my few packs of Marlboro run out, I'll switch completely to AS. The place I went to get the AS didn't have the charcoal filter, so I'm going to check out another place today and see if they have them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
As of now, I'm about half my cig's in AS

Hey, I thought you were supposed to put them in your mouth, but if putting half of them in your "as" works better for you, who am I to judge? lol :P

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
It's all good, dudes.

Boop, your post really hit me between the eyes. I'm making progress, but I do need to step it up. I went out and got the American Spirit cig's Monday. They taste amazingly normal. They burn pretty slow, too. As of now, I'm about half my cig's in AS and the other half, Marlboro. When my few packs of Marlboro run out, I'll switch completely to AS. The place I went to get the AS didn't have the charcoal filter, so I'm going to check out another place today and see if they have them.

Cool!

Additive free is a big improvement in-and-of-itself, imo, for previous stated reasons. You can probably get a tobacco store that carries Spirits already, to order one of the activated charcoal filter versions, at one of the tobacco stores near you, if they don't currently carry them (Perique Blend in Gray Package, or regular "Medium" in Celadon colored Package). Also, maybe call American Spirit's toll free #, and ask them about which versions have the activated charcoal filters (before asking store to special order, if they don't know at store which versions have the charcoal filter), as the info I gave you about which ones have activated charcoal/carbon filters, is from 2011 (they are probably the same still, but it is *possible* they've changed). Here's AS's/Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company's phone #: 1-800-332-5595

You can get deals like "a pack for 2 bucks", or even free pack coupons in the mail, if you don't mind filling out personal info (birthday, name, age, address..) at their website: http://nascigs.com

Marlboro was my main brand for years. Ever notice a Marlboro 'spark' and/or 'fizzle' like a sparkler, on occasion? My suspicion about that, is it might be caused by an additive to the tobacco that causes them to burn quicker, even when not hitting the cig very often. And the additive doesn't get mixed in as well with the tobacco on occasion. Maybe the fizzles and sparks are, because of something like gunpowder ingredients? If so, reasoning for that, could be simply so one buys more of them, when they burn down faster. Even before they came out the FSC regs that requires the 'extinguishing' bands, American Spirits would very often go out on their own if left sitting in an ashtray unattended.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there sweet sweet Romeo!

Gently flying through again to wish you a good day of cutting back on cigs!

Peace & Love,
BF

PS. When are you going to respond to my extremely clever (if I don't say so myself -ha ha ha) play on words two posts up!!! Come on! Where is your A game dude? ha ha ha

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

BF, if people here can shove Suboxone up their asses, why can't I shove a cig or two up my arse? :lol:

I'm going for all American Spirit today. I have one pack of Marlboro left, but I left it at home and I got a pack of ASS....ooops, I mean AS with me. Amazingly enough, I like the American Spirit cig's just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
BF, if people here can shove Suboxone up their asses, why can't I shove a cig or two up my arse? :lol:

I'm going for all American Spirit today. I have one pack of Marlboro left, but I left it at home and I got a pack of ASS....ooops, I mean AS with me. Amazingly enough, I like the American Spirit cig's just fine.

I'm glad to hear you've made the switch for many reasons. And you might be pleasantly surprised with them, pertaining to your ultimate goal. I can attest to hearing several stories personally, of people who switched to AS cigs before quitting, who swore it helped them eventually stop smoking altogether, because of what they believed was the "additive factor" (the additives that cause an additional "kick" in other cigs, like 'boros), and detoxing from them for awhile after the additive-free, smokes switch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good morning little Romeo!

The wind has once again carried me to your "Cutting back on Cig's" thread....and it makes a butterfly gently curious.....
...........if you should be so inclined to share, my wings would flap with joy to learn where you are in the tapering process.

Have you managed to stick to all AS, and if so, are they predominately being smoked from your mouth or you do you find you prefer sticking them up your arse? (haha)
And as with the suboxone "pluggers" (LOL), inquireing minds want to know, "exactly how FAR up??" :lol:

:P BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ya gotta stick 'em up there pretty far, dude. :lol:

Yep, I'm on nothing but American Spirit and I'm hovering around 14-16 a day. I do like the American Spirit cig's, but not as much as my Marlboro's, so I'm thinking I'll just naturally drop to 12 or so in the next few days for that reason alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
Yep, I'm on nothing but American Spirit and I'm hovering around 14-16 a day. I do like the American Spirit cig's, but not as much as my Marlboro's, so I'm thinking I'll just naturally drop to 12 or so in the next few days for that reason alone.

Wow, that is just wonderful progress Romeo! Keep it up!
(patting you gently on back with wing tip, then flitting away!)

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

BAM, gonna hit 13 today!! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
BAM, gonna hit 13 today!! 8)

WOW!!! You never "have" to smoke more than 13 "AS" cigs a day.....ever!
Congrats on AMAZING progress! Picture your lungs saying "thank you Romeo!!!" :D

Mahatma Gandhi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6