All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Quitting after 3 years
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:41 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi

New to the board.

So I've been on Suboxone for 3.5 years and thought I work with a doctor who said he was "going to taper me" 14 months ago and all I did was go from 8mg a day to 4mg. I guess I'm just curious as to which is the best way to taper. going to smaller daily doses? skipping days? I'm not very optimistic about it...I tried going cold turkey once but this stuff is insane to quit. I had 15 days with no suboxone before I couldn't take it anymore and went back in to the doctor. that was when he took me from 8mg a day to 4...I feel my recovery has just stalled. I've been opiate free the entire time and even had the constitution to go 15 days, but I was so totally sick I missed school...I almost wish I never started suboxone because I know if I was still on oxy I would just have to endure 3-5 rough days and if that were the case I would literally go cold turkey right now.

Just thought I'd share

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sic' if I just stopped oxy I'd have 4-5 days of misery'...

Wrong. The start of serious WD is delayed a few days by buprenorphine. The recovery of receptors is not. It takes the same two months for WD to end with either drug-- but it is a bit less intense with buprenorphine because of the delay in drop-off of mu activity.

I suspect you DID try to stop oxy before starting buprenorphine-- otherwise why would you have spent the money on a doc?

But if you are still convinced it is easier to stop oxy, why not just go back on it-- and stop it? I think that would be foolish... But at least it would encourage you to live with more accurate memories, so that you would be responsible for your current state-- not a doctor or pharmaceutical company.

Funny how people ALWAYS think they would have done this or that in the past.... Even when in reality they tried it, usually over and over... And failed.

Why am I being so mean? Because the people who DO taper off Suboxone are those who man-up to the problem-- realize it is THEIR OWN problem-- and find the fortitude to do it. Blamers never win.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ya, the whole it being easier to get off oxy than sub is kind of a moot point. I mean, if we could've quit we would've, right? I know I tried numerous times to get off oxy, even at fairly low doses and I just couldn't do it. I successfully got off sub in the beginning of November, so it's been about 4 months. Is the physical withdrawal prolonged? Maybe. But I don't think it's nearly as intense. I never had any stomach/GI problems, I slept pretty well. I felt tired and out of it, and had horrible cold chills, but I wasn't "sick". And I was able to roll with it more because I was away from my active addiction. I didn't compulsively take sub like I did oxy. Does that make sense?

You'll just need to slowly taper. Go down maybe .5 mg every week. You may feel subtle discomfort for a couple of days, but it's manageable, especially if you're ready to be done with it.

"the only way out is through"