It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

How long did it take you to taper off suboxone?
1 Month 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
2 Months 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 Months or Longer 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I would like to share a brief biography. I'm a 27 year old male, Mechanical Engineering student, and the father (of a 5 year old girl). During my high school years I kinda just went with the flow and did what everyone else was doing, which was partying, and school was the last thing on my mind. I got in an ATV reck in the winter when I was 17, this resulted in a compression fracture, and my opiate addiction started. I was addicted to opiates on and off until I was about 22. It was then that I realized this was a horrible way to live, with the help of my daughters I decided to get on suboxone (I would have done rehab if that was an option). Now a little over 4 years later I am ready to get off the suboxone. Although, I would like to say that this drug has allowed me to come into adulthood properly. I have essentially grown from a boy to a man while taking subs; they allowed me the stability I needed to look at my life and decide where it was going. At the age of 23 I realized I was a nerd at heart. Since then I have come to love anything complex, especially physics, so I decided to go to school to be a Mechanical Engineer. I would recommend suboxone to any addict looking for a way to stabilize their life, although I would say try rehab first.

So I have tapered down to 4mg a day without any issues; I know the real work starts here. I was wanting to ask how long it should take me to taper down from 4mg's after 4 years at the age of 27?

Any insights or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, and I look forward to talking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Big sexy,

We have a lot in common, same age, male, your high school description was exactly mine, we both got hooked on opiates the same way (accidents), and we both chose Suboxone to get our lives back.

As far as your taper, instead of dosing 4 mg a day try for 2 weeks dosing every other day. Suboxone has a 36 hour half life, and should be well built up that you can try dosing every other day. If that works every week drop the dosage by .25. DO NOT RUSH you have been on Subs for a LONG time this taper should take at least 2 months to minimize any withdrawl effects. Try asking your doctor for 4 mg and 2 mg strips so they are easier to cut / taper.

If that doesn't seem to work, try dropping .25 every week, or every other week whatever seems more comfortable for you. Remember a taper is a plan, so test what works for you and stick to it. Try and find a solid plan, discuss it with your doctor, and be firm with him that YOu WANt to live in sobriety, and you are starting this taper for you. Good luck, and god bless you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It's really hard to give you a hard and fast answer to your question. I was told by my doctor to reduce by 1/4 mg every three days, which I think was too fast. You can read lots of successful tapers here, and many people go much lower.

I will say that I didn't go down much below 2 mg. To me, I just felt like it was more of a struggle to keep on going lower than it was to just jump. I really didn't have it bad jumping at 2 mg. I wish I could give you a better answer, but I wasn't very good at keeping track of my taper. I would say that carpe diem is about right with cutting about .25 down, give it a couple of days, and see how you feel. I think it's very important that you listen to your own body as you do this.

BTW, I was on subs for 3 years, and I'm a female who is a decade older than you.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Young
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:23 pm 

Hi BS,

Sorry, I just couldn't get myself to type your username unless you were of the opposite sex. Nothing personal. :wink:

IMO, you are still so very young and should recover a lot easier than someone twice your age so I agree with you to taper and stop the Suboxone before it continues much longer. Just like CD said, go slow. We have several taper schedules posted under "Stopping Suboxone" and other sections. With me, it was very easy to taper as long as I did it in small increments and gave my body time to adjust to the new dose.

I went from 8 mg's to 4 w/o any problems. Then I went to 3, 2, 1½, and then 1 mg. That is as far as I got and didn't feel any withdrawals symptoms at all. Well, there was one difficult time where I went from 2-1 and that was a 50% drop so I pulled back to 2 and then went to 1½ mg's. The reason I didn't get past 1 mg was due to a deathly illness which is now in remission.

All you can do is try for yourself and see how well your body tolerates the drops. Make them small when you get down to 4 mg's, and space them out at least a week or two between drops. Who knows, you may be one of the lucky ones who don't feel much discomfort at all. We have seen many of those.

Keep posting as you go along. We are here to support you all the way.

R62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Freedom and Rule both give valid points,

Rule stated, you are very young like me and we do tend to recover a bit faster, but that still doesn't mean any two people are exactly the same, because in reality were not. Freedom's doctor said drop 1/4 mg every 3 days but in no way apply that to your situation, each doctor basis opinion on their specific patients condition and length of time on Suboxone. You've been using Suboxone for 4 years, like I said before pick a nice and slow taper over a 2 or 3 month period, and it is essential to get them4 mg and 2 mg strips so its eaiser to cut them in to proper pieces.

Good luck, and know we are here to support you while you make this brave decision. God bless, 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do whatever feels right.
Tapering is no walk in the park though.

No matter if you taper and stay clean via some other form of recovery, taper off and get back on, or just stay on a low dose... It's not bad or wrong. You just for whatever you think works best for you.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In my experience, it gets more difficult the lower your dosage gets. I started at 12 mg about two years ago and was able to reduce 2mg each month til i was at 4mg, with no real withdrawal to speak of. Once at 4, i tried to get to 2 but spent a long time taking 3mg. I finally managed to get to 2mg a day maybe six months ago. I have tried to jump off from 2mg and 4mg, but depending on how long you've been on it, it can be extremely difficult. I'm starting to gravitate towards the philosophy of a long term taper, as gradual as possible. You can't neglect the psychological aspect. If your brain is used to taking your dose every morning, it's not going to want to be cut off from that habit. You need to fight the habit and get more and more used to not taking it. I feel the best way is to gradually taper onto a liquid dosing regimen, and then getting down as low as possible. You want to start taking longer between doses as well. Get used to skipping days or at least waiting til later in the day before taking your dose. Once you're down to a miniscule dose, you should be able to skip days and just force the physical as well as psychological dependency to wither away.