It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I haven't been to this site very often since my induction Aug 13. Wow there is a lot of stopping sub posts on here now compared to a year ago.

I wanted to make a quick post for all those folks thinking about or starting subs for the first time and let them know my experience with it thus far.

In a nutshell it's been awesome. I was addicted to large amounts of oxy for probably about four years. In that time my life went from pretty great to me sitting cross legged on the bed crying hysterically in front of my wife as I told her what was going on. I was broke, close to losing my job, my wife and kids were so far from me emotionally, oh man up just thinking back makes my skin crawl. Addiction always leads to the same place despite the individuals involved - pain, sorrow, and death.

I've been on Subs for 11 months and life is amazing, in every way. I still need to take out the garbage, and my kids can be a pain, but I'm back to being me. Well actually a more humble, grateful, and honest me. I'm on 8mg per day, I don't have many side effects, and I'm enjoying the small things in life.

Addiction almost took everything from me and Sub helped me get it back. I'm very grateful and excited for the future. If your humming and hawing about Sub, stop messing around and get your life back, it's yours for the taking.

MG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:47 pm 

Hey mr gooo99..

Thats great news to hear.
This is how suboxone works.
It did the same for me.
I sing its phrases all I can. Tomorrow I will have 3 1/2 years clean enough".

Saved my life...back with wife, the whole bit.well shes my x wife now but I messed that up..

Glad you posted. Ya, a big run on Stopping Sub these last few months now.
This happened a couple a years ago too. But, its a process and everybodies welcome. Love this forum.

Best of luck and keep watchin an posting...razor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

pretty much the same story with me. addiction nearly killed me and my family and EVERYTHING important to me. I was skeptical about Suboxone, thinking maybe I was too far gone, and I'd tried to detox more times than I can count, but I was so desperate,I finally gave it a try! So glad I did!. the very first week I felt better, and after having my dose adjusted, it was like I'd never done drugs before. Everything began to improve in my life very quickly. it took me a few tries to find the right doctor, but once I did, that made a big difference. therapy and all the other recovery work I'm doing are really paying off. Don't get me wrong, I've gotta do a lot of the work, can't just lay around like I used to and expect the bupe to fix it all. I've had to make myself start getting up and get back to the business of living, and it's been worth it! the old me that loves life and being a mom and raising a garden, going to ball practice and games, swimming with the kids, cooking and baking etc is back. I thought that chick was gone forever. long story short, life on sub is far better than life on the damn opioids! no plans of tapering or stopping. just going to continue to live life, take my meds, and be happy! for once in a long long while! I'm so glad you've found the same relief and new chance at living again also, keep posting :-)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for sharing that info, Mrgooger!

Many, many of us were in a similar spot as you and Suboxone really helped us get a grip on everything. I know I wouldn't be clean today if it wasn't for Suboxone. I had tried to quit opiates many times and just couldn't do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:55 pm 

It can be really challenging to be having a really great experience on sub and come here and read a whole bunch of people talk about how much they hate it! I find myself biting my figurative tongue to keep from responding to the negativity. Today I think I read, "I hate sub!" "Stay away from opiates, especially suboxone! "I hate my suboxone doctor and sub!", etc.

It's hard to hear people complain that they think sub ruined their life, or that they were tricked into starting on it, or that it's so impossible to get off, or that they would be so much better off if they never tried sub in the first place. I want to say, "Oh? Was your life so awesome before you went on suboxone? Did you have it all under control while you were abusing your drug of choice? When you were forced or when you decided to get into recovery did you not have access to the internet? Even at the local library?"

Now, a lot of people who want to get off sub give it props for being a lifeline when they needed one. But even if they don't acknowledge that sub was useful to them I choose, time and again, to cut the haters (or dislikers) some slack. It is just about necessary to get mad at sub when you are trying to get off of it. People should be hating on the bad choices they have made to end up where they are now. However, if they direct that much negativity toward themselves it's counterproductive! Suboxone is an easy, convenient, and important target. Important because a lot of people need to have a focal point for their anger or other strong emotion.

Usually when addicts look back over the entire course of their recovery they have a better perspective on what truly helped them on their journey. I've heard quite a number of addicts, who were very bitter and angry at sub while they detoxed, change their tune once they've look back over everything.

So I try not to be reactive when I view the posts from the "Stopping Suboxone" crowd. They are going through a necessary part of their process. I stay quite happy on my subs and let the negativity roll off my back. Because life is too short to get dragged into a dramatic forum situation! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the wonderful replies all. It's so great to hear so many others doing well. Whether it's 3+ years sober (you are sober, everyday you take a sub pill you choose to be sober), and I loved the comment about getting up out of bed and get going (how much time did I spend lying in bed stoned while the world passed me by).

I didn't intend to take issue with the posts about those stopping, I just remember when addiction had me, and breaking away from it was hard, I would have looked at these boards and said, well all these folks are trying to get off Sub maybe I'll just try and taper for the thousandth time cause Subs can't be that good if all these folks are trying to get off them. So I just wanted to let anyone that was thinking about going on them that there are a ton of folks thrilled with them. And that you may not hear as much from those folks as we busy off living our lives as opposed to those navigating tapering programs and taking on a new challange of living Off Subs.

That said I know I'm early in the recovery process and I fully support everyone's dreams and goals, and if folks feel that Subs have done all they can for them then go for it.

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just wanted to add Amy.....Totally agree. I don't understand how some folks (not all or even the majority) can say Subs are bad or life is worse. What was your life like in active addiction, pill seeking, estranged from your loved ones, inches from an OD, likely broke, and if you had a job you certainly weren't employee of the month (day?). The one thing I always remind myself is some people are still in active addiction so Subs are just getting in their way, they really want to be back on the pills. Thankfully I never, ever want to go back there.

One small story - remember checking folks medicine cabinets? I used to do that everywhere I went, especially my moms who always had some sort of pills. I just realized writing this we spent at day at my moms last week and I didn't even think about checking for pills...wow.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Even though I made the decision to stop taking subs,I owe everything I gained in my life to it. Subs helped me put my life together. Without it, I doubt I would be here now. I stopped not because I hated subs, but because I felt I no longer needed subs. I just got to that point in my life where I asked myself if I really needed to take it anymore and I knew deep down I didn't.

I will never regret my choice to take subs. Even though it was a little rough jumping off it, it was still worth it!!!!!

I say, if you feel you need subs to stay healthy and free from relapsing back to using, stay on it!!!!!! I am all for sub use. It has probably saved countless lives. What could possibly be wrong with that!!!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This may be a stupid question but when you say you are clean does that mean free of subs as well? I've gotten an eye roll from a free people who don't think sub therapy is living clean. I feel it is helping me w my addictive behavior just like my antiD helps w my depression. I don't a use any drugs now or take more than my script or Dr shop. Not sure what the answer is.?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

trainer14 wrote:
Even though I made the decision to stop taking subs,I owe everything I gained in my life to it. Subs helped me put my life together. Without it, I doubt I would be here now. I stopped not because I hated subs, but because I felt I no longer needed subs. I just got to that point in my life where I asked myself if I really needed to take it anymore and I knew deep down I didn't.

I will never regret my choice to take subs. Even though it was a little rough jumping off it, it was still worth it!!!!!

I say, if you feel you need subs to stay healthy and free from relapsing back to using, stay on it!!!!!! I am all for sub use. It has probably saved countless lives. What could possibly be wrong with that!!!! :)

I'm quoting this cause it's such a good post!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

csinny wrote:
This may be a stupid question but when you say you are clean does that mean free of subs as well? I've gotten an eye roll from a free people who don't think sub therapy is living clean. I feel it is helping me w my addictive behavior just like my antiD helps w my depression. I don't a use any drugs now or take more than my script or Dr shop. Not sure what the answer is.?

Of course you're clean. You have a diesase, you're taking medication that is putting that compulsive, overwhelming drug seeking behaviour in the back seat. You're not getting high, your not seeking more Subs, your not neglecting family and friends to find drugs...you are clean. Ignore anyone who makes you feel otherwise. Haters be hating to quote Justin Bieber. Luls.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

To be fair to the people who don't have 100% positive things to say about sub (including me, Id say Im about 70% happy 30% not so happy with subs) at 11 months you could find plenty of posts like the original post in this thread with me saying nothing but glowing things about sub and how I will be on it for life and I can't believe anyone would want to stop taking it. It seems for several people who are on it long term (Id consider anything over 2 years to be in that category, Ive been on it 4 years next week) that over time the side effects start to become way more pronounced and the benefits almost fade to the background, almost a complete reversal of how it was early on in treatment.

Being constipated every single day of your life for years on end adds up and starts to take its toll and has turned me into a lethargic, sluggish, zombie with no energy. I also suffer from stomach cramps/pains daily that come and go and theres nothing that stops them and its from the gut issues from sub. Daily headaches are also plaguing me as well. On the other side of the coin I still haven't used any other opiates besides my sub and I don't have much in the way of cravings but honestly that could be because I know how futile it would be to try to use, I would have to go into withdrawal for at least 2 weeks to even feel anything from my DOC so I know theres no point.

Im just trying to point out that before you think other people who might not have 100% positive posts on sub are trying to bash it maybe take into consideration that they have most likely been on it far longer than 11 months and that there is a big difference IME ( and lots of others as I have seen posts on here and other forums detailing the exact same issue that long term sub seemed to have bring out the side effects way more in compared to early on) between that and several years in terms of how you feel on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would absolutely have to agree that being constipated every single day of your life for years on end would have to make a person sluggish, tired, in pain,,& prone to all sorts of maladies, and I feel for ya on that one man! I'd say that constipation, could be the number one side effect of opioids that produces the other common ones that people complain of sluggish bowels that retain stool, full of toxins can make a body feel horrible! that's gotta suck ass and cannot be good for your body as a whole in the long run. I have a question here. that was a bad side effect I had from the regular opiates that I abused, so much so that when i had my hysterectomy, and the surgeon saw the condition of my severely impacted intestines, he told my family that there was no wonder I felt like shit all the time. of course he didn't know about my drug problem, and recommended all kinds of enemas, softeners, diet changes, water increases etc. btw, pain control afterwards was a real bitch because I NEVER put two and two together about my tolerance to opiates after awakening from surgery, so I spent the first twelve hours screaming in agony with the nurses scratching their heads as to why my post op meds weren't working, sorry tangent, promise I have a point/ question. I, of course knew what had caused the intestinal issues,(being chronically constipated for like ten years)! duh! , but I was barraged with questions about my diet water intake, coffee intake, bowel habits etc, and stubbornly refused to admit my problem.
I am still relatively new to sub as compared to many people here, and very luckily haven't been bothered by too many side effects either, in the beginning,I had some weird numbness/ tingling in my hands and a bit of insomnia, but that went away after a few months. as long as i stay active throughout the day, tiredness isn't a problem anymore either, especially since I lowered my dose, and the constipation issue is gone since starting sub. I, like you, have read many many accounts of people suffering with this side effect, did it come later in treatment? does it let up, and come back? I'd hate to think that after doing well for awhile, and feeling great that I'll be up against this and other effects that go along with it. ugh, I hope not, anyway. much of what I read suggests that this will be my fate, it's discouraging, to say the least. does anyone know how likely it is that this will happen to me, or others as well? thanks in advance :-)I guess what I'm really looking for, is long term patients to tell me that I MAY not be in for all hell to break loose, or better said a lot of unpleasant or down right miserable side effects to mess me up. that may be putting the cart before the horse, but I don't want newer folks than me to think that they're also waiting in line for this to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You will be ok you just have to adjust your diet/water intake accordingly. My advice is to learn to love eating at least 1 activia yogurt everyday, oatmeal, fiber one bars or cereal and last but not least try to drink at least the daily 8 8 oz glasses of water. The water part is the hardest for me but Im getting used to it thankfully, I read online that to make it seem less daunting the required amount usual equals out to about 4 gulps of water out of your glass or bottle every hour and so far thats been pretty effective for me. Sometimes even with all that a problem will arise and then I will take dulcolax but I only take laxatives if I absolutely have to, I despise the way I feel for like 48 hours after taking them. Don't worry yourself over it too much and just make sure you start taking preventative measures BEFORE things start to get bad and not just wait until after to start trying to remedy it. Hope that helps put you at ease a bit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well thankfully my diet is already pretty decent. I eat lots of fruit, yogurt, juice, oatmeal, veggies and water. I could probably drink a bit more water, but this far haven't had any problems with this side effect thankfully. I just began exercising regularly not too long ago also. I have to admit, though, that I do not enjoy regimented exercise/working out. I thought I would since I hear so many say that after a little while they do. I always just figured since I'm already so active that that was enough, but I must be pretty outta shape cause I'm definitely sore as heck after., Sorry,... tangent, my point is that Hopefully I'm ahead of the problem since I've made an effort to get healthy since beginning subs, and this doesn't have to be the fate or the norm for everyonewho continues to take bupe long term.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Mrgooger99, I do appreciate your post regarding your experiences. Suboxone is a vital aspect of recovery for us and this cannot be overemphasized. While I'm not 100% sold on the theory that Suboxone will only get you so far if you don't include treatment or regular 12 step meetings, it has made a drastic difference in my life. And I don't mind sharing right now that the only time I ever attended 12-step meetings was as a condition of the treatment facility I was at.

The place I went to for treatment (outpatient) allowed me to be on Subs while in recovery, but at the same time, we were all required to undergo the regular counseling needed to graduate the program. I had a counselor that was only 2 years older than me (I was 22 at the time) and it was her first foray into drug/alcohol counseling -- boy did it show. As a counselor, it was very obvious from our one on one meetings that she opposed the use of Suboxone therapy after 1-2 months.

Trying to explain to her that I had built a great rapport with my doctor and that he understood my hesitation in tapering off or down...was just not going to happen. It didn't register for her.

I've said this on the site before and I'll say it again -- I wholeheartedly agree with the doctors that consider themselves to be the patients advocate or sponsor for Suboxone. These doctors agree that while they may supply the Suboxone, their patients (showing graduation from a treatment plan or current enrollment and clean urine) should have the options to decide what is best for them.
My doctor recently told me that he had a patient that was with him for 10 years and after quitting the Suboxone, he relapsed within 2 weeks. And this is just one of the reasons why he supports keeping this option in the hands of us, the patients.

As for me, my life is in a great spot today. I was taking 13 or so 15mg Oxycodone pills per day - and Suboxone is the reason I am doing as well as I am. There were contributing factors to why I started using that definitely differ from most - serious thyroid problem (very, very low) and a developing issue with my testosterone (somewhat low). My energy was so low that I'm rather surprised I even got out of bed some days. Suboxone has transformed me and I can't be thankful enough.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just wanted to comment on here as someone that is not a big fan of how Suboxone is used. First of all I really respect your opinion and actually agree with most of what you have said.

Many on this site would classify me as a Suboxone "hater". The thing is like you Suboxone changed my life. I don't think I would be where I am today without Suboxone. That being said after years and years on the drug it seems to wear some people down. After 5 years on Suboxone I had no emotion, I had no drive, and I was simply going through the motions in my life. Was this better then being on 240mg of Oxycontin a day?? Of course. I'm not just trying to be better though and I knew while on Suboxone I would never reach my full potential.

I am just one person among many and I only claim my experience to be my own, but in my opinion life without prescription meds will always trump life on them. I do not look down upon those who plan on taking Suboxone for life because I once thought that would be me. If you read the threads in "Stopping Suboxone" forum they may start very dark and negative, but by the end people are ecstatic about being clean.

Anyway I don't wanna dampen the mood any further and I am glad Suboxone is working for you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've only been on subs seven months, and I already noticed lethargy and a severe lack of motivation at my (relatively high) dose. I quickly dropped to 6 mg and felt much better. A couple months later, it came again. I think it's the down-regulation of receptors that occurs during sub treatment. You start on a high dose and as your receptors down-regulate, and the dose then ends up stimulating the receptors too much. I am around 1 mg a day now which is no longer a blocking dose or above the ceiling but I feel the best I have on it. The fact that it is not a blocking dose may end up becoming an issue for be though, so I may end up going back up a bit. But to those who feel sub mutes them, I would recommend stabilizing on a lower dose before just tapering off. You may find you can effectively control cravings and be the "best" you on a lower dose.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all the thoughtfull commentary. It's really nice to share opinions and even differing views with such respect and intelligence. Subs are working for me right now but I'm still early in the life cycle of recovery and so it's nice to hear others experiences longer term.

I'm not tied to anything other than staying sober and being the best person I can be.