It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi! I read this forum a lot and I'm quite impressed. It's objective and doesn't have an anti Sub agenda,so this is my first time telling my story. I am soon to be 60 yrs old and after a major surgery got really dependent on the opiates- first for pain, then sorry to admit I starting enjoying them. Anyway,when I realized it was out of control, I was lucky enough to find an addiction psychiatrist affiliated with a major Medical Center here in NYC , who is a wonderful doctor. I started Suboxone December 2 and it truly helped me avoid the serious PAWS I had when I attempted withdrawal on my own prior to seeing the doctor.
Anyway, I decided ,against her advice, to just quit cold turkey because I just had enough of the side effects mainly constipation, etc. It's been 9 days - the first 3 were very easy, then I felt super fatigued.
I felt like I needed a cab to get to my bathroom :). Days 5-8 were hellish- all the typical physical symptoms - muscle aches, fatigue, hot/cold. I literally couldn't get out of bed. However, I was determined to plow through and today I feel fine. Suboxone is a great drug- don't be afraid of the horror series you read on the Internet. Yes, it would have been easier if I tapered, but if a 60 yr old woman , who isn't in the best of health could get through it, anyone can! Good Luck y'all and keep up the good fight!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sure that your encouraging words will be helpful. Some people find that symptoms will come and go for a number of weeks--- with each week a bit less miserable than the last. I've had a few patients stop buprenorphine without any significant withdrawal, but their experience is not typical. Then again, some people don't feel 'normal' until months have passed. I hope your path continues to be relatively benign.

Thanks for sharing--

J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congratulations on 9 clean days, great story. Your very strong to quit c/t and its a very brave thing to do. Well done, keep going strong!!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:18 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congrats! This is nice to hear. It would be great to have more stories letting us know that it's manageable even with jumping. I was just wondering if you could tell us how long you'd been on suboxone and if 4 mg was your dose the whole time?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Wild,

Great post! I'm glad to see that you were able to push through those days of pain and reach a day that gave you some relief. How are you now? Has the upswing continued? Don't be too let down if you have a couple days of back tracking...it happens sometimes. :wink:

I'm sure that you are going to be a success story. I wish more people were as honest as you are, there are too many who blame suboxone for being the thing that ruins their lives, instead of realizing that it was a tool that gave them a chance at a real life. Coming off can be painful, but it's part of the process. Good job!

I hope you continue to post!

Q

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know this is old but wanted to reply in case the OP still lurks here sometimes.

Thank you for posting this! You have given me some hope! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:51 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I too would like to know how she is getting on.