It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I briefly told my story on this site before but let me retell it because it was a while ago and it doesn't make sense unless I tell you why I got on Suboxone. I got on Suboxone October of 2010 to try and treat my depression. I didn't let the Suboxone doctor know about this. I had a separate unrelated doctor tell me that I could probably tell her and she would probably keep prescribing them to me, but I wasn't sure. They are not prescribed for depression. She would have had to give me a wink wink. My Suboxone doctor not knowing the reason I was taking them combined with the fact that she is terrible made things difficult. I say she is terrible because she used to be my psychiatrist. When talking about possible medication options she once said to me once, "I don't know what to tell you." It baffled me that a mental health professional could sit there and make a patient feel so hopeless like that. I only kept going to her for Suboxone because she never made me go to groups and the appointments were quick & easy. Plus she made an exception and took me even though I had medicare/medicaid. That is a whole nother problem. If I were still on Sub next month I'd start the fight against the insurance company, to which my psychiatrist once told me it was too much paper work and that's why she didn't usually take medicare/medicaid patients.

Anyway, I had horrible stomach cramps on Sub from constipation I think. I had horrible dry skin to the point where I went to the doctor's because I thought it could be a disease not relating to Suboxone. I had insomnia when I first started, and again once I started raising the dose. It was always around 2 hours after I took it that I would become wide awake. I could feel my body rapidly waking up. Even if I were dead asleep it would make me wide awake in seconds. I was only on 2 mg. I cut those up into three pieces (totally 2mg) and took one in the morning, one in the afternoon, one at night. I started out on below 1 mg, and in 6 months I was at 2 and needing more. It was the building of tolerance which led me to get off of suboxone as well.

Suboxone really worked for me! It greatly helped with anxiety and improved my mood. I would have kept taking it if it weren't for all of those side effects (including tolerance). Other people noticed. I felt really shitty after I got off of it. I ended up in the inpatient unit at a hospital (for mental health). It wasn't the first time; I had been four times before. The side effects, combined with having a doctor that I didn't trust, that wasn't good, and that's didn't care about me, and the fact that I had to rely on this unreliable doctor to fight for medicare in July for them to keep covering suboxone all were reasons I just decided to stop taking it all together. It wasn't torture or anything because it was a low dose to begin with. I had never been on a high dose of it and have never even done opiates regularly (although enough to know I like them). Opiates worked so well for my depression and anxiety that I thought anything even remotely close to this will have to help, and Suboxone was the most realistic option. If opiates were legal and I had money I would do it a lot more.

But so that's my long story. I wanted to include all of the info since my case is kind of out of the ordinary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My former neighbor and friend started Sub for depression. I didn't think it was a good idea, and I'd never heard of it, but according to her it is sometimes used for depression. Actually my first Sub doc told me it works for opiate dependency, anxiety, depression, and pain. Anyway, she had been through pretty much every depression med and nothing helped, so this was a last resort. She was not on any pain meds whatsoever. I'm not sure if it worked, because I don't talk to her now that we moved.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

From what I have experienced myself and read from others, all opiates including Sub work for depression for a while and then they quit. How many of us opiate addicts have suffered depression all of our lives, and then suddenly when we discovered pain pills we were happy, content, relaxed, on top of the world? That is the seduction that got most of us into this mess.

You were taking 1.3mg 3x a day. Using Sub like that is similar to taking pain pills, because at low doses Sub acts like a short acting opiate. If you had taken enough to be at the ceiling, which is a steady state with no highs and lows (~4mg), you may have had better luck. On the other hand, like ladder said, I dont think getting on Sub is a good idea for anyone but a serious addict given the difficulty in getting off it.

I hope you find a treatment thet works for you. Don't overlook alternative therapies like exercise, meditation, nutrition and the like. Good luck,
Lilly