It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Did you experience "Vermification" in the form of "spine-crawling"?
Yes, I had "Vermification" in my spine 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
No, I had other symptoms 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:30 am 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Arial] [/font][size=10] [/size][color=#444444] [/color]

I am blogging because my family, who researched many articles on this forum, but couldn't find someone on suboxone for so long (5 years) and that stopped at such a high dosage (4 mg). Most importantly, barely anyone spoke of "vermification". This is a term a doctor gave to the feeling of "worms crawling in the spine!". I heard of skin tingling and restless leg, but no one blogged about worms crawling up and down their spine for 3 weeks! Yuk. It has to be the worst withdrawl symptom I had to battle!!!

First, a little history (it seem pertainent and may explain my extended recovery timeline). I was on Vicodin for about 5-7 yrs (don't remember). When I quit 7 years ago, I was up to 30+ pills a day. I met a doctor that put me on 2 weeks of suboxone and then cut me loose. I suffered for 2 months of withdrawal. Plus, I didn't feel right for 1 year. I say a Phsychiatrist who subscribed everything but suboxone...diazepams, depressions medication, etc. Nothing made me feel like "myself".

Then I meet a great doctor who placed me back on suboxone with conseling and AA/NA meetings. I started at 3x8mg (24 mg) I took it for about 6 mos. Then he started cutting me down by 2-4 mg every month. Unfortunately, he died of a tumor.

I was left searching for a new doctor. I had a couple but ended up staying on the medication for 5 years at 16 mg.

One day, I got sick of it. I managed to ween down to 4 mg of suboxone for 1-2 months. One day I realized the medication was causing withdrawl every day of my life. I was irritable in the morning before taking my 4mg. Then at night I withdrew again and had to take Klonopin for what I thought was anxiety.

Well, I ended up saying "F@!$ it, I am quiting today". I knew I would be off work for 10+ days and I had the strength to go through withdrawl. It probably would have been better to come off it at 1 mg or 1/2 mg...but I knew my willpower was strong so I jumped in not knowing the ramifications. I already went through withdrawl once for Vicodin. Plus, once every 4 mg from 24 mg which is 5 times (5 months). I was sick of the repetative withdrawal and figured I would get it over with.

Working from home during days 11-15 were the worse.

I was about 50% during days 19-23.

I must say the most surprising fact I learned was that suboxone suppressed my neuro-transmitters, much like opiates do. And anti-depressent withdrawl is somewhat similar (because it also works on the neuro-tranmitters). I had no idea the systemic/holistic effect on my body, mind, and soul.

So I write this log with the hope that it helps people that experience my penance. I don't know why I got the vermification but it seems like the worse symptom of withdrawl -- absolute torture.

So, how long did I feel crappy given 5 yrs of abuse and stopping at 4 mg? Well, I learned from others that the suboxone half life is 36 hrs (1.5 days). So, from 4mg I was (36+36+36= 4.5 days) 4.5 days behind people that kicked the habit at 1 mg. I was told days 7-10 would be the worst. Mine was days 7-11. Then, days 15-18 were really tough as well (my day 15 was probably like day 11 for others).

I finally felt almost normal on day 22. This seems longer than most/anyone going through this withdrawl. I wish I could say I felt normal after 34 days, but I am irritable and the vermification/spine crawling subsided to an irritable feeling in my spine (better than the worms).

I am on day 34, the mood swings are almost unbearable -- mostly because the constant suffering everyday has beaten me down emotionally and physicall -- it is constant/all-the-time. Even though the crappy feelings have subsided, I feel it is breaking my spirit. I must say after suffereing all those days I will never give up and never resort back to neither suboxone nor opiates! Yes, my willpower is still strong. But, I am getting frightened to go to sleep, that there is no end, and that I will feel this for a year like I did after the Vicodin withdrawl.

Luckily, I found a kind, informed doctor who understood what I was going through. WORSE PART OF MY EXPERIENCE...I experienced "Vermification". My doctor placed a name on what I felt and went through. I felt like worms were crawling in my spine -- not on my skin -- up and down my spine. This seems rare/unique and neither my family nor I could find anything specifically mentioning "spine crawling", nor the word "vermification" to describe their experience.

The doctor knew to subscribe Catpres (generic is Clonodine HCL 1mg). I was subscribed 4/day at first but couldn't sleep because it got real bad at night. So my dosage was increased to 6 per day, 3 per day and 3 at bedtime. This worked, thank God. However, I had to take 9 per day to quench the torturous feeling (I confessed to my doctor after I dropped to his dosage -- I didn't want to jeopardize his good name). When you have crawling in your spine, you can't itch it, exercise, nothing stops it. And it seemed to get worse when I was most relaxed (before sleeping). I screamed, punched the bed head board, squirmed for 21 days. Felt like the damn devil had my soul to play with for almost a month (that SOB) :P .

Plus the Catapres, although a welcome life saver, made me feel like a 99 year old stroke victim. I couldn't get the energy to get up and get the remote control. No exercise. I work from home and managed to salvage my job, thank the Lord.

I guess anything that suffers that long and doesn't die is stubborn and hard to kill -- to I will never give in!!! Why do I continue?

Because (on the bright side)...

1. I feel like a role model for my young son. I will be there for him and I will be the best dad I can be.

2. My wife deserves a productive, kind, patient husband -- not a zombie.

3. My mind feels so clear. I am a more alert driver. I noticie things I never have. My thought process has accelerated and I am much more effective at work (when not beaten down by the feeling/mood swings).

4. I feel like myself (in my mind if not my body).

5. I think that suboxone caused all my symptoms over the last 5 years that I would treat with more medication -- anxiety, lack of motivation, constipation (sorry), and insomnia. I think it was causing fights between me and my wife (because I was irritable everyday going through withdrawl in the morning and evening at 4mg).

In conclusion, I will never take any opiates or suboxone again. I want to even anti-depressants, which also cause withdrawl because they affect neuro-transmitters -- CAVEAT -- I recognize that many people require anti-depressents and such medication has saved their lives, so this statement doesn't apply to them. I know in my heart I don't need anti-depressents because I didn't need them before this experience. My hats off to those of you dealing with depression -- it sucks and I have had short boughts with it during my suboxone use (another symptom of that medication).

Also, I recognize that suboxone it an amazing tool -- I just wish I was more informed and not afraid of coming off of it (experiencing more withdrawal). I believe I delayed getting off suboxone due to denial (I thought I was on maintenance meds and not opiates), plus my fear of going through withdrawl again was so strong due to the serous Vicodin withdrawl. I can only guess it that Heroin is worse and Vicodin a (distant) second.