It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hello everyone, I have been o suboxone for a year now. i recently told my DR i wanted to stop. he agreed and offered the following taper. from8mg daily average for the past few months he suggested dropping to 4mg per day for 4days ,then 2mg per day,x 4days,then 2mg every other day, x4 ,then 2mg per day every 3rd day x 4 then stop. does this sound reasonable to ya,ll? will it help me avoid most of the w/d symptoms? thanks in advance for any opinions. by the way i am on the second day of the 2mg drop and thus far i feel ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

my suggestion to u would be to read all the posts on here about tapering. if u have been on it that long i would not recommend jumping off from 2mgs. i dont want to put ideas in ur head but depending on ur metabolism and considering half life of the drug its gonna be well into day2-3 that u will start to feel like shit. i would stay at 2 mgs for at least a week or so to see how u feel and then go down to 1mg for a week. everyday or every other day if it doesnt bother u, half of half etc. until u get to nothing. i understand u wanting to stop but theres no need to rush it and compromise everything that u have done. stay strong -sara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

From what I've experienced and read on here from others your taper schedule is way too aggressive. You need to do it slowly. The less you take the more acute the withdrawal symptoms can be. Take your time and let your body adjust to each drop. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Personally, I would not follow that taper schedule. Has your doc successfully tapered anyone off of Suboxone? Because that is a really fast, aggressive taper for someone who has been on for as long as you have.

You can probably get down to 4mgs (or even 2mgs, depending) relatively quickly, but if you want to avoid most of the withdrawal/paws, then from 2mgs to 0mgs you have to go a lot slower.

Definitely read some of the taper threads around here. It's not impossible to come off Sub quickly, but if you don't want to get sick you should slow down. The most important thing is to listen to your body and adjust accordingly, rather than sticking to a strict schedule.

One thing that's crazy about your doc's schedule is that he'd have you dropping every 4 days. You wouldn't even be stabilized from your last drop by then.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks to all for you kind and compassionate comments
I have a question, when i complete my 4th day @ 2mg, which is tomorrow,then i skip a day between 2mg dosages. then finally i skip 3 days . it seems to me that 2mg every other day is equal to 1mg average per day ,then when i go to every 3rd day ,this average is about .80 per day. so , am i actually jumping off at 2mg? please don't think i am disagreeing with anyone, just wanting info. any and all is appreciated. mc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, if you skip days between 2mg doses then you wouldn't be jumping off from 2mgs...as long as you do the dose-skipping days long enough for the sub to clear out of your system. Sub doesn't drop off in a linear way because of it's half-life.

I tried that dosing every-other-day method and hated it, but your mileage may vary. I won't hurt to at least try it, but if you start feeling like you're gonna relapse, then pull back on the taper.

You could also just take 1mg every day, and then go to 1mg every other day (or a half mg every day). You'll figure it out. Just listen to your body.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: Suboxone Taper
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on Suboxone for 4 months now. I began @ 16mg daily and am now down to 4mg every 2 or 3 days. Anything beyond those few days and I am thrown into serious W/D! I have read posts on tapering but most are for those taking sub daily. Should I begin taking 1mg daily and then start the taper from there? I did go to my Dr. today asking for help getting off of Sub. but was told the only treatment that would work is Rehab. I do not agree with my Dr. and would appreciate ANY/ALL advice. I am ready ASAP to begin a taper! Thanks ALL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If I was in your situation, I would switch to taking 1mg every day. When you feel stable there, you can start tapering. I tried to go from 1mg every day to .5mg every day and found that the withdrawal symptoms were more than I wanted to deal with, so I went from 1mg to .8mgs. Now I'm down to .2mgs per day and doing well.

PM me if you have any more questions, or read my Liquid Suboxone Taper Method thread in the Stopping Suboxone forum.

And, just because I say this to everyone, you should be doing this under your doctor's supervision if at all possible. Plans for your post-Sub recovery are important too.

Best of luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: not tapering
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks everyone !! because of your collective input , i decided to see my Dr. today. i was out of sub and was unsure if he would understand what i had decided,which was to continue with subs! my Dr knew that I had wanted to stop initially.anyway,thank God ,he readily agreed and put me back on 8mg day and gave me 2 refills! he is sensitive to my finances!i am now much more aware of the apparent potency and and what sounds like awful w/d when stopping too fast.if i had not found this forum,i would have started today with no subs , blindly thinking i would avoid w/d?my Dr is only in on Fridays.i can only imagine how i would have felt like then?at a later date,i will decide what to do long term.i rarely abused opiates, but i have been on them 10yrs.i have chronic pain issues and this helps some.and i have only been thru w/d once.from 30mg of methadone and only 4 days without!! i could not survive it again. .i did go from 16mg to 2 with 0 difference. but from what i gather this is where the trouble starts.? anyway,im gonna stay on em for awhile.Thank You all....martin......i typed this on my on screen keyboard,mine broke. it took 50 minutes, but i had to say Thanks!