It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 2 questions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I will be brief. I have 2 quick questions.

1: Does the length of time I have been on subs(3 months) have anything to do with how fast it will leave my system if I need surgery and will the WD's be less severe?

2: Does the dentist's novacaine work if you are on subs?

Hope everyone is doing as well as possible. Be strong. Love & hope, queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, the novacaine will definitely work - it's not an opiate so the bupe has no effect on it whatsoever. As for withdrawals being less after on sub for only 3 months, well, the way I see it, it would also depend on how long you were taking full agonist opiates before you started suboxone. But I'm no doctor or chemist, so what do I know? It just makes sense to me that way - seems logical.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:04 pm 
Agree with Hatmaker 100%.....Novacaine for dental work (or anything else for that matter) will work just fine. If it doesn't, it is NOT because of Suboxone. It simply has no effect on the workings of local anesthetics to my knowledge.
As far as the worsening of w/d the longer you've been on Sub.....again I'm going to agree with Hatmaker.....probably has more to do with how long you've been addicted to opiates in general. On the other hand, I think the w/d from any opiate is bound to be just about equally as bad for someone with a 6-month addiction as it would be for a 6-year addiction. Acute w/d just is what is it is. What I think might vary more according to duration of usage might be PAWS, or how long it takes for one's brain chemisty to return to normal, not to mention how long it takes for just 'normal' thinking and feeling and behavior to return.
I am anxious to see for myself how Suboxone w/d differs from full-agonist w/d. Of course I plan on doing it slowly enough that it won't be bad at all. The other thing I wanted to add, which I know I've seen Hatmaker talk about too, is that the mind plays a large role in how bad all this is or is not. If we expect it to be horrible.....it probably will be. If we're just waiting and expecting all hell to break loose when stopping bupe, it probably will. Whereas a more positive outlook and better expectations might tend to make w/d a little easier. That's not to say it's all in our mind, not at all. Just that, as most everything in life, a more positive and hopeful outlook tends to render a better outcome.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've had two root canals while on suboxone and didn't feel a thing. Novacaine worked perfectly. As for how long it takes for suboxone to leave your receptors? I believe that depends on the dose you are taking, not on how long you've been taking it.

Consider the half-life of suboxone is about 37 hours, so that means if you take 4mg now, 37 hours from now, there will be 2mg still in your bloodstream.

What I don't know is where it goes from there, but my understanding is regardless of MG taken, it will take suboxone about a week to completely clear your system to the point where full agonist opiates will have the same impact as if you had never taken the suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've heard of people being off Suboxone from a month and still had trouble getting full agonists to "work properly". In other words their tolerance was still extremely high. I think it probably has to do with that person's own physiology, how long they were on full agonists, how long on suboxone, and like Junkie said, how high a dose of sub they were on. Very complex with no one simple answer or calculation. That's my take...

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Complex
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you Junkie & Hatmaker, my new sub doctor put me on 8mg in the a.m. & 12mg in the p.m. I feel great on that dosage. I have the desire & energy to do things, I am eating well and although sleep is a little erratic, I do eventually sleep.

My dentist seems to be very understanding and doesn't seem to treat me any different because I am on subs. I had been going to her some years ago. I explained to her, on the phone, that I had many surgeries and an amputation & I ignored my teeth, even before that. She was very nice about it. Don't you hate those dentists that tell you how horrible your teeth are and how you neglected them & why?

I hope to get this dental work done so I can go on with my subs and start to taper & do all those things I hear you guys doing to get off of everything. I pray that day comes & I can share it with all of you. You are all helping me so much. I told my new sub doctor all about this forum and she said she would look at it. She is so cool. She said "Who knows, it may help me to help my patients" She also said that even though I am going to start counseling, this forum was also like a form of counseling.

I hope you all have a good Sunday.

Love & Hope, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Queenie,

It sounds like your doing great :) I am so proud of you! I haven't talked with you in awhile, but I am glad to here your doing well :)

Are you still planning to go off the subs before your dental work this week? I wish you the best and have been praying for the procedure to go smoothly :)

Love Jenn

Post subject: Hi freind
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, How are you? So good hearing from you. Yes, it has been a while since we spoke. I hope you are doing o.k.
This may help any of you out there that have to have dental work done.

My primary doctor advised me to go to the dentist first. Get a consultation of what they have to do. Then come back to her & she will call my sub doctor and ask her if & when to go off subs. I go to my primary doc because I am also on blood thinners & I have to get off of those 5 days before dental work for bleeding purposes.

So, Tuesday I go to the dentist and we shall see.

Otherwise, yes I am doing good. The new sub doctor is great. She changed my dosage and I feel good on that. I hope all of my friends on this site have a good Sunday. If you are having a bad day, don't give up. You can do it.
Take care of yourself and we will talk soon. Love & Hope Queenie