It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Give me something to talk about this weekend- thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Dr J, im thinking of starting a Bupe support group here in our town. Not a 12 steppy group but more of a meeting where anything suboxone and recovery can be discussed. Our xlinic has one but is mostly 12 step type meeting. Mostly newcomers from the ddu upstairs. These folks an a few members come every week but not enough education about the Med itself. I am just wondering if you know of a group that has tried sub suport and if they work or not. Myself and another want to try this. So many people know very little about the med they are taking and believe so much of the misinformation that is out there still today. Just asking if you have heard or seen such groups ...thanks..razor 55..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

what is the condition of opioid receptors of the brain during and then after suboxone treatment? and what kind of change, if any, takes place over time after suboxone treatment? and lets say for a patient treated for 1 year and then a different patient treated for 2 years? (generally speaking)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

how likely is it that the patient cap for buprenorphine office treatment will be raised or eliminated due to overwhelming need and lack of prescribers?,and how soon? do you think it would decrease diversion?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Adding to the previous question:

At what point or what steps can be taken to help the brain return to making its own endorphins?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Expanding on my question: Is there any science behind the amygdala and nucleus accumbens being able to be retrained?

Or a better question: Since the brain is known to drive people to great lengths to get what it feels it needs (Be it nutrients, remove waste, procreate, etc), what are your thoughts on people who self medicate? Is it because our bodies cannot make enough naturally so we (at first anyways) try to find something that helps us feel normal?

Does this argument have anything to do with why you feel or that general wisdom is coming around to believe that addiction is a life long chronic illness? Because our brains will never be able to produce the "normal" required amounts of endorphines?

Are doctors that feel the addiction can be treated as an acute problem in the same boat as those who felt homosexuality is a choice and could be treated?

Just trying to get an idea of the scope of my issue so that I can finally stop fooling myself. I am tired of NOT succeeding. Maybe with enough info I can overcome and live with my issue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:13 pm 

Thank you, Dr. Junig, for that video. I have not sought out the videos available, mostly because they were not right in front of my face. :) I love that you're posting videos directly in the forum and it was well worth my time to watch the entire video. Thank you for taking the time to answer last week's questions.

Philip Seymour Hoffman's death struck me in much the same way you talked about in the video. I'm sure that 20 years ago when he was in rehab suboxone was not an option. I wonder if he had negative ideas about maintenance because of the rehab process he went through in the early '90s and the ideas about addiction he formed at that time. It makes me incredibly sad that suboxone wasn't enough of a choice for him to make it part of his recovery. I want his death to result in an epiphany of professionals and communities recognizing the need for varied types of recovery options. All I see in "comments" sections, however, is more of the same in-fighting, and the abhorrent statement that maintenance is nothing but substituting one abusive substance for another.

I love it when you talk about the brain and neurochemistry of addiction, because it's through scientific knowledge that there's a hope that our population will understand that addiction is not a failure of moral willpower. It's astounding to me that the morality theory of addiction persists after so many years of defying scientific evidence, but judging others will always be easier than understanding science. (See today's debate involving Bill Nye!) Thank you for fighting the good fight. We cannot rely on others to educate the ignorant. We must learn the science as best we can and spread the evidence-backed information ourselves.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

ditto to everything amy said ^^

you da man suboxdoc!!...ill watch your video every weekend...i appreciate you taking the time to do it..again, this is awesome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:42 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I would also like to add my thanks to you. It's awesome to see you take time from you busy life to help others. I value your opinion because you seem to take time to listen and NOT judge. You are an amazing person to do this. Thank you!