It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Questions for 3.25.14
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please see the last thread for answers to last week's questions. Fresh questions: Add below! Thank you for keeping them rolling in!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm going to keep recycling this thread until I get a question or two.... For newcomers this is your chance to ask 'does Suboxone do THIS?' or 'why does my doc do THAT?' or whatever else you have on your mind about addiction, psychiatry, pain treatment, opioids, regulations.....

If I get a question or two, I will post my best guesses in a video a few days after your question. Just hit reply, and fire away...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This question is only for general knowledge purposes, and not for my personal situation, but I've read many differing opinions about buprenorphine and breastfeeding. Some doctors say it's safe while others insist that it's not, or just plain don't know. I've not been able to find a whole lot of conclusive information on the topic online. What is your opinion on the matter, and experience with your patients who've given birth and/ or breastfed their infants while taking buprenorphine? Outcomes for their infants? There have been questions on this and other forums that I read about this subject and having as much info as possible will help better answer member's questions. Thank you.
just adding to my original question, do you think that NAS is overly diagnosed and treated( often with lengthy hospital stays on morphine or other full agonist opiates) in infants born to mothers who are on bupe maintenance, and if so how often do you think it is due to unfair biases of nurses and doctors against maintenance patients rather than actual withdrawal warranting this treatment? what, if anything, can expectant/ new mothers do to prevent this from happening?

Last edited by lizzieshug2013 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:05 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

First, I just wanted you thank you for making these videos. I'm stunned there hasn't been all that many questions posted. Since there is only one other poster, I figured I'd go ahead with this.

I had a question about your personal opinion on the prescribing of suboxone. Do you think it'd be in the best interest of all opiate addicts to get on suboxone or are there some people who shouldn't? Whether that is the level and severity of the addiction or maybe something that you notice about the person while talking to them at the initial doctor's appointment that makes you not want to prescribe suboxone. Like the person's personality, approach, or history for example.

Also, what is this new drug zubsolv people have been talking about and do you think it is more effective?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know this post was from a few months ago, however I just started taking suboxone almost 3 weeks ago. I have been an addict for (including alcohol) over half of my life and I'm only 34 years old. I've not had a child yet, my husband and myself talk about it all the time. I'm on Suboxone now and feel more free and liberated and normal than I have in a very long time (no depression, less anxiety). I am wondering what affects using suboxone will have while pregnant and during breast feeding. I can already see that this may be the cure for my almost 20 odd years of addiction and I feel that it may be something I need for at least a very long time - if not for a life time. I know I may not get a reply, but if anyone can help? Some people say you are born an addict. My husband also has an addiction problem and if the first thing my baby experiences in life is withdrawal I will have to reconsider my thoughts on having a baby. I know that older generations in both my families and my husbands families have had addictions also. Nature versus nurture - if I have a child, will they become an addict like me?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi, I'm new to sub, but very vocal about the fact that it saved my life, my way of life, marriage and, well, everything. I chased pills so long and so hard I had nothing left for life. But as I go along and read more and more here on the website it seems like so many are quitting sub or want to. And not just the people who call it poison or "the worst decision of my life", but really smart, articulate people who give sub credit for saving their life. They say they want to feel normal again. Well, I finally feel normal and sane on sub. Does the effectiveness change after a long time for some people? As I read thier stories of withdrawing from sub I can hear the echoes of my struggle BEFORE sub ( depression, craving, feeling like a failure because of not being able to kick their sub "habit".) and I worry that maybe sometimes sub stops working. Thanks, Ceecee

I'm adding this because it's something that I'm going through now and it would be great to get an addiction drs opinion. Do you think that when an addict reaches out for help and starts going through the whole process of starting their recovery that they should be checked for endocrine issues? I'm a longterm opiate abuser, and am experiencing issues related to very low dheas levels. This has been noted for a long time, going all the way back to the early methadone clinics. Should people be given a pamphlet to describe some of the issues they may be having because of it? I'm very frustrated right now because I'm having a lot of problems and a simple blood test would have saved me from feeling this awful. I brought the issue up to my obgyn but was told I'm in menopause, just early (I'm 42), never mind that the symptoms started when I was 38. Now, after an off hand comment by a nurse, the problem has been discovered. Sorry if this was a rant, it's just that it is so simple to find out and then start appropriate treatment. I am editing this because I want to make sure that people realize that my endocrine issues have NOTHING to do with sub. They are an issue from my previous abuse of pain pills and I'm not blaming drs either. I just wish more Drs understood the link. Thanks, CeeCee

Last edited by Ccleelee on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi CC,

I know you didn't pose your question to me, but I figured I'd post anyway. In my experience, Suboxone never stopped working for me, I just felt after being on it 3 years that I was ready to live my life without the safety net of Suboxone beneath me. Suboxone never "turned" on me or anything like that. Suboxone never caused me any horrendous issues. Were there some side effects that I would rather have done without, sure, but those side effects were a small price to pay, IMO. Bottom line, in the 3 years I was on Suboxone, I had managed to distance myself enough from active addiction to a point where I thought I'd give a life completely off drugs a shot.

I can understand how coming here and reading how so many people want off Suboxone may impact you, but you have to remember that recovery is highly individual. You have to continue doing what works for you.