It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been so emotional lately! I have been on Celexa for over a month now and it does not seem to be working so bare with me because i am so tearful right now.

I just had a few questions and comments. First, i went to my sub appt today and apparently i popped a drug test that was positive for phentermine. I was prescibed phentermine by my primary care physician and took a few pills. Then at my sub visit after taking the pills I discussed with my sub dr that i had been prescribed this medication (i did not mention names or a specific date) and asked him if i could take it. He immediately said no and that was it. Well today, when i went in he asked me about the phentermine again and who precribed it. I told him who it was and he asked the docs first name which i did not know because i just call her dr and her last name. Anywho, he went and grabbed a paper and on that paper it gave him an exact print out of who prescribed that med to me and on the exact date. First question, how did he know all this information? Can he legally get a print out of everything i have ever been prescribed from the pharmacy? Not that i mind because i am not doing drugs anymore and was upfront about the phentermine, but for some reason i felt violated.

Then, i started reading on the forum and just became so upset after reading ReRaise post. He has been to an urgent care and was treated like an "addict" and so on. I just felt horrible reading his post and what he experienced. That has been a concern of mine too...being treated badly at an er or any medical facility if they knew that i was taking suboxone. If what happened to ReRaise would have happened to me it probably would have set me into a big depression and a very sick feeling about who i was (addict) and so on. I am such a sensitive person and i constantly worry about what others think of me and kinda the people pleaser type of person. I guess my next question would be....when a person goes on suboxone is that information entered into some sort of worldwide data base that any medical professional could see. It does not concern me for reason of relapse or drug seeking, but it does concern me for privacy reasons and the abuse and treatment we may receive like ReRaise.

I don't know why, but i constantly second guess my decision about sub. It has saved me but i sometimes wonder if i just could have been a bit more stronger could i have made it on my own. I guess that answer is no because i decided to seek suboxone treatment. I just want to feel better. Unfortunately, i think the celexa has put me into more of a depression than any help. Has anyone every experienced this from an anti-depressant? I have never been this tearful and depressed in my life. My suboxone dr will not help me will any other meds besides sub (he basically does not talk and just give you the script unless he has a question) so i guess i need to go back to my pcp for some med changes. Sorry so lengthy tonight. I know there are so many kind people here and maybe i could just use a big cyber hug. Thanks everyone. Night night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:32 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

First of all I didn't think docs could share info like that. I thought that is what the new privacy act was all about. I know when ever I see a different doc for other reason I always have to fill out a form allowing them to share info. I am not that informed about the privacy laws, maybe someone else on this forum is more informed. I have a primary doc who is clueless about addiction. One time when I was a few months sober (this was before sub) my doc gave me a script for pain after I had explained to him my struggles with heroin and pain meds. When he handed me the script I reminded him of my problems and short sobriety, he said just use it as prescibed. My point is that yor sub doc is probably concerned about being scripted amps, even though those particular amps are not the strongest and prob have less abuse potential than others, it could be enough to get you going. So I kind of see your docs concern however him getting that info from a third party is a little intrusive. I would not be to thrilled about that.
As far as being treated like shit for being on subs, I have not encountered to much of that. I've been on sub for 6 and a half years and can't think of to many occations when I was treated poorly. A lot of docs and even some pharm don't even know what it is. I was in urgent care a few months ago for a bee sting (allergic) and I had to explain to the doc on call what it was. I have heard and read lots of stories where people have been treated bad when informing others about sub use, it just hasn't been my experience. Maybe I've been lucky or maybe it's the way I explain sub to uninformed medical people (I just say it's an opiate blocker, I never go into detail).
In my experience with anti depressants they will usually start to work in about 2 weeks and in 4 they have pretty much wiped out my depression. I've been through some severe and life threatening depressions and my meds have always been able to snap me out of it. Your current med might not be the right fit for you. I have an older sister who went through three different anti depressants and like 4 months to find one that worked. You HAVE to bring that up to your doc and be very honest about how your feeling. I know some docs are not very inviting and seem to rush you out the door but depression and addiction is a deadly combo. Make him listen and don't leave until you are satisfied with his answer. Also I remember my first year off drugs my emotions were all over the place. I would go from calm to complete rage or happy to depressed in a blink of an eye. Seemed like no middle ground with my mental well being. Hang in there and remember your not going through anything a million others went through before you. That's what I love about our community of addicts (online or at meetings) there is always someone that has gone through the exact same thing. Don't sweat the small stuff, do more think less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We just talked about how many states have central pharmacy/medication monitoring systems. Pharmacists and doctors have access to those. It sounds like your state has one of those databases. It is a bit concerting to know that such access is allowed though, regardless of the legality of it.

I've been on anti-depressants for years. Sometimes it takes a bit of a trial and error period to find the one that fits you right. In the last 9-10 months I went through three others before I found that Celexa helps me. So it's just a matter of finding the one that works for you. Also, sometimes doctors like to increase the dose before moving on to try the next antidepressant. I would also encourage you to be honest with your doc and tell her/him that the Celexa isn't working for you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:20 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

(((((HUGE CYBER HUG)))))

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks to all of you for responding. I am feeling a bit better this morning. I did do some research online about pharmacy/doctor monitoring program. I guess i can understand why my suboxone dr would want access to that information but still feel violated from it. I know there are good reasons why they do it but i am just not the biggest fan of it. And as for my other primary dr she would probably not even use that type of system unless she had a good reason to and I have never been dr shopping so I need not to worry about things that have not happened yet. I feel for those that have experience negativity towards them for being on suboxone and treated inappropriately by other medical professionals. Again, just because others have had a bad experience does not mean i am going to. That is one of my problems...worry and anxiety and I am working on that with my therapist. The good news (maybe, time will tell) is that there is a dr within my therapist practice that does specialize in addiction and used to be certified to prescribe suboxone. He is on vacation this week but when he gets back my therapist is going to talk to him about taking me on as his suboxone patient (if he is still certified) and working with me on finding just the right medications to help with my anxiety and depression issues. It has only been a couple of months that i have been on suboxone and just like the first poster said...it takes time especially the first year of sobriety and I am going to go through my ups and downs. I just pray that this other dr at my therapist office will be able to take over my care and be more compassionate about everything i am going through. Addiction and everything we go through is rough and i think your suboxone dr should be working with you and not just writing your scripts. My dr now is very cold and does not want to help me on any other level. I am moving in 6 weeks to another state so i will have to start with a new sub program anyway so hopefully things will get better for me. Thanks for taking the time to write me. Big hugs to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sounds like you are in a better place today! I try not to confuse my doc with my therapist. I look at it this way, Dr's are there to monitor side effects and write scripts and therapists are there to help you work through your issues. I do agree however that it would be nice for Dr's to have a more intimate relationship with thier patients. My current sub doc is pretty cool and wants to know where I am at emotionally but I still never spend more than 15 min with him. Therapists for help, Dr's for meds. It's sad but that's the way it is. Keep strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
We just talked about how many states have central pharmacy/medication monitoring systems. Pharmacists and doctors have access to those. It sounds like your state has one of those databases. It is a bit concerting to know that such access is allowed though, regardless of the legality of it.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword because it's not fair to the doctors who get "shopped" by addicts to not be able to look up prescription data if they suspect a person is drug seeking, but at the same time, it should be nobody's business but MINE and that of the doctor who prescribed me "XXX" so I can see it from both sides. I guess I'd have to support the state-wide databases though, because had they existed in 2001 it is very likely that my sister-in-law would still be alive, because there is no way a doctor would have prescribed a quantity of sixty 40mg oxycontin tablets to her just 4 days after she had just picked up a quantity of thirty 30mg oxycontin tablets from a prescription written by a different doctor. So, I would have to agree with erring on the side of caution when it comes to prescriptions. What's more important? Life or privacy? That's really what it boils down to, imho.