It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am pregnant and trying to taper off subutex, I am 14 weeks pregnant and have made it my goal to be off subutex as soon as I possibly can to avoid my baby being born with withdrawals. As I'm already at a low dose, and have been basically for my entire pregnancy, I frankly do not have any concerns about my baby experiencing withdrawals while in utero. However, I am interested in touring the hospital and NICU that I'm currently scheduled to deliver at, and I have some questions just about how the hospital handles mothers who are being treated with subutex and their babies...how are babies determined or scored to having withdrawals and if they are how are treated? I saw another post about how concerned one mother was after touring her local NICU and I was very alarmed at how some people might judge me and then treat my baby with morphine if when in fact, they might be born perfectly fine. Can anyone help me out with some questions to ask these doctors and nurses so I can truly be well aware of what's going on? I have certain questions but of course, I don't know what I don't know and would hate to be misguided because I don't know what to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:53 pm 

SA,

Do a little research in this section and you should be able to find some situations like yours.

Doctor Junig also posted about this subject several months back saying pretty much the same thing you did as far as the way mothers are treated by hospital staff when they know the baby is on Subutex. Much ado about nothing as they say. They tend to over react when the child is behaving completely normal.

If you can't find the post, let me know and I'll dig it up. Or I'll just find it and edit this post.

Congratulations on being pregnant!

rule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:59 pm 

Copied and pasted from another thread.

It will depend, 90%, on the attitude and knowledge of your doctor and of the people who staff the hospital where you deliver.

If you get your dose down to 4-8 mg per day of buprenorphine, your baby will be more likely to have NO withdrawal than to have any withdrawal (fewer than 50 of babies show neonatal abstinence if the dose is kept low).

Epidural-- no problem. Spinal-- no problem. You will get local anesthetic; that is what give most of the relief. People often get morphine by epidural too... but that is just for post-op pain, not for during the labor or C-section.

Breast feeding is a good idea; I cannot imagine a scenario where a baby would be sedated by it, since there is more buprenorphine IN the uterus, than in breast milk. On average a baby taking 150 ml of mild per day will get about 10 micrograms of buprenorphine per day-- 0.01 mg-- and most of that is destroyed before getting in the infant circulation.

For the other issues, please go the the web site SuboxSearch, at http://www.suboxsearch.com.

Search the BLOG for the word 'pregnancy'. You will find tons of comments-- and links to articles that provide info for your doc. If you read those posts, you will be in a position to ask for how you want things to happen- rather than just letting the wrong things happen to you.

Good luck,

Jeff

I would do some more research like the good doctor said.

Rule