It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:33 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Ok, I have close to 4 years on suboxone. I've been weening off since about May, I went from 32mgs a day down to only 8mgs a day. I wanted to be off it completely by the new year, but it's a lot harder work then you think. I drop by 2mgs every couple weeks, pretty much as soon as the dose that I'm on is enough to make me stop feeling sick, I'll drop down to a lower dose. I've basically been sick for the past months, but it's worth it to me to meet my goal of finally being off it. It did it's job and I no longer need it, so all I have left to do is finish getting off it. That about all for that. I've been wondering about subutex and have some questions. Can your suboxone Doctor also prescribe subutex, or do they have to be licenced to deal with both? Is the feeling you get from taking subutex the same as suboxone? Is the dosing about the same between the 2, if your on 8mgs of suboxone would 8mgs of subutex cover your needs? What does subutex taste like, and dose it dissolve the same and need to be held in your mouth about the same amount of time as suboxone? Is it easier to get off subutex, harder or about the same as suboxone? I don't know about anyone else, but I hated the taste of suboxone at the 1st taste, and after all this time of taking it everyday I despise the taste and even the smell of suboxone. Do they produce suboxone in other flavors, if they don't, do they plan on having it made in other flavors, and why did they make it taste like that orangish flavor in the 1st place, out of all the flavors in the world they could have made it taste like? I'm sure people might think this is a dumb post or dumb questions, but this is stuff I've been thinking about or have wondered for a long time. So please anyone with an answer or answers to any or all my questions, fill me in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Dotta -

Suboxone and subutex are pretty much the same with the exception of the naloxone. I'm told subutex does taste a bit different and dissolves differently as well. But otherwise dosing and withdrawing are pretty much the same. A doctor that has the DATA 2000 waiver can prescribe any type of buprenorphine for opiate addiction, whether it be suboxone, subutex, or generic subutex.

I was never a fan of the taste of suboxone either, however once I tried the films, which I abhor the taste of, the sub tablets are damn near tasty now. Have you tried the films yet? They have a medicinal taste and dissolve MUCH faster. Also they can be cut evenly so they make tapering to very low doses much easier, too.

I also wanted to touch on your tapering method, if you don't mind. It sounds like you've been pretty uncomfortable. It's my opinion that you're tapering too fast. It's my understanding that it's best to cut one's dose by 10%, then wait until you are stable on that dose before dropping again. By stable I mean for more than a day or two. Some people only reduce their dose once per month. This should reduce your discomfort significantly. Plus the slower and lower you go, the less acute as well as post-acute W/D you should have when you finally jump off.

I don't know if I got to all your questions, but I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:40 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the info. I've just recently been hearing about the film, my doctor has never mentioned it, and I'm willing to bet he's never heard of it. Is it a hassle to get your doctor to switch you, do they not want to mess with things? I would like to get a chance to try them, but my doctor is horrible he presigns about 10 scrpits, then the nurse does the filling in the amount and so on, the doctor only stops by the room for about 30 secs to listen to my heart and mumble what the nurse wrote in the file into his tape recorder. He's the only one dealing with it in the area, some people are driving about 100 miles to see him. He seems to be loving the money though, he raised his visit price $25 more. The nurses happened to be his wife and daughter, they all are driving brand new cars, got nice new watches and jewelry, he reminds me of a street drug dealer who has money to waste so they buy extravagant things, anyway that's why off point, I've complained about him in other post, it is getting more ridiculous though, he's like the Godfather of the Suboxone game. I just want to be done with this, I'll deal with the sickness, but the strips sound like they would really help me in my stepping down on my does, I hope it's something I'll be able to try. Thanks again.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When the film first came out some doctors hadn't heard of it yet, but it's been about a month or so now. I'm betting your doctor has been visited by the pharm rep. You can also ask your doctor about the $75 off per month (thru March 31) coupon card, too. There's up to 4 posts with a link on here for the coupon card. You can take it to your doc and he will give you the "real" coupon card that's good at the pharmacy. It's good for up to $75 off your out of pocket expense. It took my co-pay down to zero.

Good luck, dotta!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I can relate to hating the taste of Suboxone pills! I despised the taste, the taste made me sick, and the only way I could handle it was to buy orange mint lifesavers and hold one on my tongue at the same time I was dissolving the pill. It sounds impossible but I got very good at it. I'd take the lifesaver out when the pill was gone and it would hardly be dissolved at all.

I started on the film and I hate the taste of it too, but it is gone so quickly that I can tolerate it. I also found that I was getting a lot better drug absorption with the film and was able to drop from 24 mg of pill to 16 mg of film per day with no problems.

I can see where the film would be very beneficial in terms of tapering because it is so easy to cut.