It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Questions about sub use.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:23 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi guys im new so im sorry if this is the wrong placing of thread iv never been on a forum before, Its just not my thing.
Anyway i've been an addict to heroin- methadone for 25 years.
But this time around i was on methadone for about 10 years and stopped to go onto subutex ( i'm from the UK ) and was taking 10mg but it made me very down so i cut myself down to 2mg that i am on now.
I've been taking subutex for about 4 months now and i know you may say about not getting fully clean and i fully understand but i loved the clean feeling. I have done this subutex detox twice b4. and i was very very depressed more than ever for about 1 week.
But i do have a couple questions. I have been told that trying to raise your dopamine levels really help with this withdrawal and was thinking of asking for some tabs to help this. what do you think?
and wondering how bad the withdrawal will be if i cut down as far as i could to say .8 or .4 a day?
Any help with me getting of this and how to go about it would be grate if anyone would be so kind :O)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:45 am 

Hi Sunhouse,

I moved your post into its own thread instead of being at the end of the older one where you posted. More people are likely to see it this way.

I was wondering if you could clarify what you wrote a little bit. Are you trying to detox off of sub completely or are you just trying to find the right dosage for yourself? What kind of tabs are you thinking of asking for to combat depression? SSRIs? If/when I decide to taper off sub my doctor wants to put me on Wellbutrin for a few months. Is that what you're asking?

We try not to get into debates here about who is "clean" and who isn't. It's not helpful and it usually just pits people against each other. Rather, we accept that if a person feels clean, they are clean. Everyone knows that there is a huge difference between abusing opiates and being in a dedicated recovery with suboxone. You probably feel clean because the obsession to find/use opiates is under control and you can focus on other important aspects of your life.

You have a long history of addiction. Are you in a hurry to get off this medication that controls your cravings? If so, why? We have lots of people here who expect to stay on sub maintenance for life or many more years. It is so much better than the alternative of detoxing/relapsing over and over again.

Welcome to the forum!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Actually going back to the days of being stone cold sober, sucked too. In my case I had some issues obliviously. But life wasn't that much different/fun. I'm more sober now then I was sustained 10'to 12 years ago. The only thing that I would take away today, would be the fact that if I wanted to move to Hawaii, or travel for a few weeks etc you all know what we'd have to do. That's the only thing I wish as I throw my penny in. Heck I'd love to go to uk and visit. Can't just pick up and go. But there will always be a price to pay. The Law of nature.

Snake

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Also to touch on your last part about the dopamine. The only thing that is proven is time raising dopamine levels. Supplements etc do not cross the blood brain barrier and have no effect. Also to clarify I'm not unhappy or feel unclean. On the contrary I feel better about myself and all that good stuff. It's just you know if we could have our cake and eat it too. I was functioning normal back in the day. It was psychological for a good ten years. I couldn't go to a cook out or whatever unless those tablets where with me in my pocket. I would still prob take something because I feel better and interacted with my peeps or co workers better. I tell people it takes a long time to get to the psychical withdraw. Pain meds make most people sick and that's whether won't take them. They did the opposite. The social structures started to crumble. For me anyway I took me off and on for at least 12 years without major psychical abstinence syndrome aka withdraw. Psychological is powerful not having em in my pocket made me grouchy and have to play the role to maintain relationship equilibrium.

Excersise is all I can say to try.

Snake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:36 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi guys thanks for the replys i didn't know i had got any cos iv been busy.
I will say my grammar and spelling without spell check isn't great so please excuse me.
Ok so i actually for myself do like the hole clean thing, it just suits me as a person. I do have lots of support with very good clean friends, I have done a 1 year rehab in phoenix house sheffield and got a flat and that lasted for 3 years, But got my hard very badly broken by a girl, and this has always been my downfall.
i've tried many detox. And i do really understand what you are saying but i do not get on with the subutex Buprenorphine at all really, I get very moody and depressed even though im not a depressed person and just feel its in the way. I have had 4 depression tests and have been told with good eye contact and everything else im not depressed and wont be proscribed anything.
So my goal is that i started on 10mg tabs when i first stopped my methadone, and took myself down to 2mg that i am on now. the tabs i get are from different manufacturers. Actavis-Sandoz seem to be the main lot of the bunch. But as im from the uk we dont seem to be up with the US as suboxone has never been on the table, But as i understand it only has like a thickening agent to stop injecting or similar to this.
The tablets i get most of now are 0.4 and have been trusted with the more taps than i need so i can experiment with my own reduction. As i am a long term user and have never given a dirty samel i was always trusted.
My last drop was more of an accident really i was on 4mg one in the morning and one at night and forgot to take the second tap at night. So instead of going back to it the next day i just stuck it out and now i'm just on the 2mg
So to clarify i dont get and cant get antidepressants or am i not on anything other than subutex-2mg.
I really hope this helps and thank you so much for the support.
Im a volunteer Mondays and Tuesdays so if i don't reply this is the reason, Should be home bit latter.
Thanks again