It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:08 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Good Morning all,

Just have a few questions about my induction to Suboxone. A little background: I started on MMT in 2009, I came off of methadone once a few years ago, but was unsuccessful due to the ridiculous withdrawals and went right back to it. In August I had a child (she had no withdrawal symptoms and was perfectly healthy) and I was stable on liquid methadone at 58mgs. However, due to being on maternity leave I could no longer afford the clinic, and I turned to my doctor who said he would prescribe me methadone, but would bring me down 5mg a week. I came down to 40mgs on the 10mg tablets, and even though I was dosed down to 25mg, I was only stable at 40mgs and then would go two days without until my next refill. However, during this time I was on the waiting list for the Sub Program, and I was called in to start yesterday (Friday the 22nd) I was worried about the PW's because I had taken 15mg of Methadone on Thursday, but by the time I saw the doctor, and got my prescription of Sub I was feeling pretty bad, and it had been almost 32 hours. I was given the direction to take one strip the first day (8mg), one and a half on the second and third (12mg), and then two strips on the fourth day (16mg) And so I took my first strip yesterday (8mg), and though some of my withdrawal symptoms went away I still had a headache, that gross smell in my nose/mouth I get when I'm withdrawing, I had congestion in my nose, and my legs were restless. However, I felt okay, I could tolerate the symptoms, it was better than being sick, so I knew it was slightly working.
This morning at 7am I took one and half of the strips (12Mg) and at first felt decent, but now two hours later I have a headache, and the smell in my nose/mouth again, but again, I'm not horribly sick with withdrawals, so again, I know it's working, but not enough to take all the symptoms away.
Does this mean that I need a higher dose or that I'm just not stable yet? I know that Sub is nothing like Methadone, but will the Sub eventually get me back to not feeling any symptoms at all?
Is there a method to waiting four days before I can take two strips (16MG) or could I go ahead and take another half since I am still feeling slightly sick?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there,

Welcome or the forum. Glad to hear your induction has gone considerably well, all things considered. Most people aren't as lucky. You should be fine going straight to 16mgs, in terms of being able to handle it. My question is, if you take 16mgs early, will you have enough meds to last you til your next doctor's appt? If so, you should be fine to jump straight to your 16mg maintenance dose if you're already at 12 and 12 isn't holding you well.

Headaches are fairly common with suboxone. It's really hard to tell sometimes why they're happening. They can be a sign or too high of a dose, but they can also occur in the beginning while your system is getting used to the new medication. They should even out and go away.

Let us know how you adjust!