It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

For the past 14 months I have been on a relatively high dose of suboxone. 16mg a day. For most of that time, I was buying them on the street. A few months back, I sucked it up and sought out a doctor. The program I am in is a state funded thing. I get 6 months of suboxone if I comply with an IOP program. Well I was very compliant, did everything I needed to do and then work changed and appointments and groups had to keep being rescheduled and finally it got to the point where I am no longer attending. I did not formally drop out, just stopped going. Not because I didn't want to, but scheduling was too much of an issue. I have not used since then nor am I avoiding a urine test or anything. Tomorrow I have a regularly scheduled appointment with my doctor. I am curious if anyone has any clue how she will react? Will I be screwed and just told to tough out the withdrawals? Can she be understanding and help me do a fast taper off the sub's? Will she tell me this sort of thing happens and that I may be able to start back my program where I left off? Will she tell me I'm screwed and say to detox at home with clonodine? Yadayada yada. I don't know. I'm nervous to go see her because I don't know her well enough to predict what kind of reaction she will have, but I just want to be totally honest with her. Ultimately, I do want to be off suboxone completely ASAP so I do not necessarily see this as the worst thing in the world, but I'm just terrified of ending up right where I was in the beginning.... Down and out and forced to suffer withdrawal at home with no assistance. The dose I'm on will make it super hard. Has anyone had any experience in a situation like this? Or does anyone have any advice to give? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:08 pm 

All I can say is what you said yourself. Just be honest with her and hope she will support you and help in anyway possible. I have no clue how things work in your state, but I have heard that in some, it is very different and much more difficult than other states like mine. (NV)

Is there no way to attend ANY meetings? She may have a hard time with that one. But all you can do is plead your case and hope for the best. And please don't be in such a rush to get off the Suboxone. The relapse rate is very high if not done correctly.

Let us know what happened.

rule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is such a wide range of attitudes out there that I don't think anybody can predict what your prescriber will do!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:21 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well, I saw the doc today. She certainly surprised the hell outta me! She was so very understanding and was on my side 100℅ and was extremely helpful in offering to pull a few strings to get me back into the recovery center! I'm very thankful for this because now I have the opportunity to do a proper slow taper. She is also giving me quite a bit of time to get my affairs in order so that I can plan and execute a strategy of juggling all of my responsibilities. I am very very thankful. I guess honesty truly is the best policy! Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey I'm glad everything worked out. You never know what you're gonna get with doctors, but it's nice to hear about it when there's one who rewards honesty like that instead of discouraging it with knee jerk reactions. When I read your first post I didn't think youd have a problem because if you're not only honest but also willing to be compliant with urine tests and basically be as obedient as possible as someone who has nothing to hide, it shows them something that every addict needs to learn if they want help - humility. It doesn't surprise me that she was understanding if she was able to recognize that. Again, glad you could walk out of there relieved and best of luck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:10 pm 

I'm so glad that your doctor understood where you are coming from! The best doctors do, although I imagine that some get burned out after hearing the same story numerous times. But the nature of addiction should warrant second and third chances, in my opinion. Happy for you!

Amy