It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:01 am 
New Poster
New Poster

First time posting... thank you for such a valuable resource... I will try to keep this brief for you.

Please know that I am light hearted... I joke around a bit, and try not to be too serious.

I am on Suboxone because I want off OC (I don't do anything else), just turned 30 and want to grow up. Could go into more details as to why... but who cares... I want to stop, and when I tried to, I found out what chemical addiction was. I used to do 5mg insufflated (snorted) to feel a small long lasting opiate buzz... but I hated the euphoric high that came with anything higher than that... it took years for the tolerance to creep up. My OCD I think is the reason I never would get as high as my friends did... I never would smoke it because that felt too good... I realized the two times I smoked it in 2006 that if I smoked it again I would ruin my life because it felt THAT good... so I never smoked OC again, just snorted... it also seemed like a more economical choice... it lasted longer.

I want opinions on what I will face re: withdrawals from going off Suboxone based on my previous habit of OC... and my current consumption of Suboxone.

August 2002, accident = surgery = intro to painkillers
2002 thru 2004 - weekend use or less, mainly enjoyed dilaudid (hydromorphone) 1-2mg was all and in single uses
from here on all doses were 5 mg insufflated (snorted), spread throughout the day
2006 - everyday 5mg-10mg oxycontin
2007 - everyday 10mg-20mg oxycontin
2008 - everyday 20mg-40mg oxycontin
2009 - everyday 40mg-60mg oxycontin

9-11-09 - Obtained my Rx for Suboxone 8mg oral (six sided orange tablets)
9-12 through 9-13 - finished my supply of OC... it was a good weekend.
9-14 through 9-17 - found that two quarters a day (one around noon, the other in evening) curbed withdrawals.
9-17 through 9-30 - one quarter of 8mg suboxone a day
10-1 through 10-4 - RELAPSE... felt really good. 40mg/day
10-5 through 10-8 - one quarter of an 8mg Suboxone a day
10-9 and 10-10 - one sixth of a Suboxone a day
10-11 and 10-12 - nothing
10-13 (Today) - started getting pretty hard withdrawals * and took 1/6th of a 8mg Suboxone

* - hard withdrawals being irritation, shakiness, skin crawling, restless legs, hard to concentrate... I understand these are nothing compared to real withdrawals. Just the worst I have felt thus far.

Sorry for all the details but I am really curious here.

MY QUESTIONS:
1.) Given the amount I am down to... 1.3mg every other day... if I just stop... what is your opinion of the withdrawals I will face?

2.)I also have a potential drug test coming up if I am to be considered for this job... if I have a prescription for what is in my blood I cannot fail correct? I really need this job. Will the OC completely be out of my system given I haven't had any since Oct 4th?

3.) I am starting to feel high during the day... like as if I had OC... but different. I can't put it into proper detail with words... maybe it is just blood-sugar or I am getting sick or something, but this has been happening for maybe 4 or 5 days. Any ideas?

Thank you for your help and time, reading all this is and calculating your thoughts around it obviously is not the most enjoyable use of your time, but any thoughts or feedback I certainly appreciate.

Thank you again,

Guinness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you take a good look at your post, what do you notice??
*From 2002 through 2009 you abused opiates
*From September 14th til October 10th, you used Suboxone and relapsed on your drug of choice in that time period.
So here are MY answers to your questions:

1. Given the amount I am down to... 1.3mg every other day... if I just stop... what is your opinion of the withdrawals I will face?
You were using opiates for SEVEN YEARS! You used Suboxone less than a month without a treatment program.I would have to say that your withdrawals will be as they would be with your drug of choice because you have not used Suboxone properly.Everyone is different though.You may have a mild experience, but I believe otherwise.Just remember to not blame Suboxone, you did not give it the time and focus it needs to produce optimum results.

2.)I also have a potential drug test coming up if I am to be considered for this job... if I have a prescription for what is in my blood I cannot fail correct? I really need this job. Will the OC completely be out of my system given I haven't had any since Oct 4th? Only the employer could tell you that. And the OC takes up to 24 hours to be detectable on a urine screen, but that depends on how much and how long you used it.

3.) I am starting to feel high during the day... like as if I had OC... but different. I can't put it into proper detail with words... maybe it is just blood-sugar or I am getting sick or something, but this has been happening for maybe 4 or 5 days. Any ideas? It may be the Suboxone, but you may be dehydrated or lacking nutrients, couldn't tell for sure.Go see a doctor and get a check up with a vitamin/nutrients blood test.

Good Luck

Post subject: thanks and update
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

thank you for your thoughts... wish I had more than one response for a collective intelligence on it... but please know I do appreciate your words.

I am on a program, the pro/shrink/counselor guy says to take more suboxone and not torture myself... but why? I don't let it get to torture, I wait till I can't take it anymore and then take the smallest amount for that pain to go away... isn't that how it is supposed to be used? or am I an idiot? I am on my third day taking nothing... sleep sucks and I am anxious... but that might be my $6k mortgage and no job.

Q. 3 days... and other than sleep and nerves... I feel fine... is this over? Or am I to expect withdrawals at a week like I see in other posts? It sounds like MURDER when I read it.

Some thoughts running round my head on this:
-I remember watching Dr. Drew and he said withdrawals don't even start for 3 days... but every other time I stopped (even for a day)... I would lay on the bed/couch and itch like hell... couldn't sleep, I would tick and shake, felt hot/cold, sweaty, and really really irritated and nauseous. A year ago I used Suboxone once (3x 8mg pills in 6 peices each) to go clean, I had them for a few days and then nothing for 2 weeks... then decided to go back on OC (this was not a relapse IMHO because I had no cravings, it just sounded fun, at least that is what I am remembering/telling myself, maybe I really did give in)

-Maybe my metabolism has something to do with this? I can eat anything... allday and everyday and sometimes even lose weight while doing that.

-Additionally... I never got high like my friends... it was too much for me... my OCD drove me nuts if I wasn't in control of my body and life at any moment... I snorted 5mg and would wait till I wouldn't feel it... then snort another 5... never snorting 20-30-40mg at a time like my friends would. Maybe the method that I was using causes me to go through short withdrawals. I dunno.

or maybe... I am about to live through a horrible form of hell because it hasn't hit me.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:32 pm 
Guiness - It sounds to me like you are somewhat ambivalent about your recovery. It doesn't sound like you feel as though you had "that big of a problem" because you didn't get as high as some of your friends or because you didn't smoke your drugs or whatever. I'm sorry but in my opinion, anyone who's willing to crush up a tablet and snort it up their nose is about as sick as it gets! No judgments! I've done some crazy stuff myself! I think it's just fruitless to try and measure our addiction against some supposed barometer out there. It doesn't even matter how big your daily habit was - the bottom line is addiction = an obsession with drugs, using drugs in quantities or methods other than prescribed, negative consequences from our drug use, etc.
To question whether a relapse was really a relapse? Come on - you wanted and tried to quit and you went back. That's a relapse.
Do you really want to be free of your opiate addiction or not? If you do, it's going to take more than just using a little Suboxone to soften the landing of withdrawals. All you've begun to experience is the acute phase of withdrawals. Yes, that part is Hell - painful beyond words. But it's only the beginning. Whether you're quitting OC or Sub, you've got weeks and weeks of a different king of Hell to face - insomnia, anxiety, extremely low motivation and low energy levels, drug cravings. Trust me, getting through the acutes is no guarantee you'll last in recovery at all. Listen to what your doctor is telling you. Use the Suboxone as it's prescribed. If you feel you're on more than you need to be - discuss it with your doc and lower your dose. The idea is to be on enough Suboxone to load your opiate receptors so that your cravings subside and your withdrawal symptoms are abated. When those receptors are loaded, you can try to mess around and take something (not recommended) and will quickly find - it don't work, no high, no nothin, a waste!
Once you're stable on your Suboxone for a week or two, you can start focusing on fixing the things in your life that need fixing. And then when you've got your shit together, you might be able to do a nice slow, relatively painless taper and go on about your life and NEVER have to go through this craziness ever again.
I would encourage you to think long and hard about your motives - Are you just trying to escape withdrawals? It's not gonna happen. You've abused opiates for too long. Or do you really want to change your life? If so, try something different - plan on being on Sub for several months at least. Get the counseling/help you need and change your life for the better.
This whole thing is difficult for us all. None of us has all the answers. Everyone is different. But we all have to make a decision about what's most important to us at some point. For me - it's getting my "self" back, ridding myself of active addiction. I gave up a long term, good paying, recession-proof career because my life, my health is more important than anything else. It sucks and it hurts, but at least I have hope now for a future free of the madness of addiction. How much Suboxone I take or how long I need to take it doesn't matter much at this point. I am here today, doing reasonably well, and getting better. I am grateful.
I hope I don't sound too harsh. The very last thing I want to do is to sound belittling or critical. I just have seen what positive strides I've been able to make after a few months on Suboxone and I want that for everyone out there who is struggling! Take your recovery seriously - take care of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

setmefree wrote:
Guiness - It sounds to me like you are somewhat ambivalent about your recovery. It doesn't sound like you feel as though you had "that big of a problem" because you didn't get as high as some of your friends or because you didn't smoke your drugs or whatever. I'm sorry but in my opinion, anyone who's willing to crush up a tablet and snort it up their nose is about as sick as it gets! No judgments! I've done some crazy stuff myself! I think it's just fruitless to try and measure our addiction against some supposed barometer out there. It doesn't even matter how big your daily habit was - the bottom line is addiction = an obsession with drugs, using drugs in quantities or methods other than prescribed, negative consequences from our drug use, etc.
To question whether a relapse was really a relapse? Come on - you wanted and tried to quit and you went back. That's a relapse.
Do you really want to be free of your opiate addiction or not? If you do, it's going to take more than just using a little Suboxone to soften the landing of withdrawals. All you've begun to experience is the acute phase of withdrawals. Yes, that part is Hell - painful beyond words. But it's only the beginning. Whether you're quitting OC or Sub, you've got weeks and weeks of a different king of Hell to face - insomnia, anxiety, extremely low motivation and low energy levels, drug cravings. Trust me, getting through the acutes is no guarantee you'll last in recovery at all. Listen to what your doctor is telling you. Use the Suboxone as it's prescribed. If you feel you're on more than you need to be - discuss it with your doc and lower your dose. The idea is to be on enough Suboxone to load your opiate receptors so that your cravings subside and your withdrawal symptoms are abated. When those receptors are loaded, you can try to mess around and take something (not recommended) and will quickly find - it don't work, no high, no nothin, a waste!
Once you're stable on your Suboxone for a week or two, you can start focusing on fixing the things in your life that need fixing. And then when you've got your shit together, you might be able to do a nice slow, relatively painless taper and go on about your life and NEVER have to go through this craziness ever again.
I would encourage you to think long and hard about your motives - Are you just trying to escape withdrawals? It's not gonna happen. You've abused opiates for too long. Or do you really want to change your life? If so, try something different - plan on being on Sub for several months at least. Get the counseling/help you need and change your life for the better.
This whole thing is difficult for us all. None of us has all the answers. Everyone is different. But we all have to make a decision about what's most important to us at some point. For me - it's getting my "self" back, ridding myself of active addiction. I gave up a long term, good paying, recession-proof career because my life, my health is more important than anything else. It sucks and it hurts, but at least I have hope now for a future free of the madness of addiction. How much Suboxone I take or how long I need to take it doesn't matter much at this point. I am here today, doing reasonably well, and getting better. I am grateful.
I hope I don't sound too harsh. The very last thing I want to do is to sound belittling or critical. I just have seen what positive strides I've been able to make after a few months on Suboxone and I want that for everyone out there who is struggling! Take your recovery seriously - take care of you!

It helped me to read that. thank you

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sub was never intended to be "short term". its not going to work that way. I have been on since 2005. Now thats too long, yes. But i had a doctor who's mentality was that you could stay on the stuff forever if you wanted. he would ask me literally how much I was taking (needing) and write me that much with 5 refills. He believed the longer you were on sub the less likely at relapse, and there is some truth to that. I'm still opiate free after 4 years, so there you go. Anyway, though, suboxone is NOT designed to be a short-term"plan" or "option". it won't work tht way. Long term opiate use takes a long term recovery. Your brain has to relearn how to produce dopamine again, and frankly i don't see anybody being "cured" just becasue they were able to detox without withdrawal symptoms, which is what some think that sub is for. So this brief attempt to just "get-off" OC with a brief 3 months on sub is not the way to do it. I am however impressed at the low dosage this person was able to get by on. Wow? my doc basically just said keep taking it until you have no w/d's and then thats your dose. Well i spent 4 years working down from 10mg a day, which was too much, but hell they would give you up to 28 mg a day if you wanted it. Thank God some of the first users of Sub in the USA could influence enough back in 2005 that you need to do as little as possible, less is better, don't listen to the doctor they would say.