It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on Suboxone for a little over two years. I started out on 8mgs once a day and now I'm down to 1/2mg once a day. From my very long tapering process, I have 60 2mg pills left over. I'm in some finincial troubles right now, and I can't afford to see my doctor anymore. Do you think I have enough pills left to taper off properly?? Any infromation is much appreciated. Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

With 240 days worth of medication on hand, and currently being at 0.5 mg per day, you should have more than enough medication to be able to complete a taper and deal with any withdrawals, etc. I don't think there is much question in that. Unfortunately, your question, whether you know it or not, may well have two parts to it.

The first part is do you have enough medication for the physical taper from Suboxone? I would say, yes you do - likely more than you will need.

The second part is much harder to answer, however. And that is, are you ready to no longer take Suboxone on a daily basis? That is going to be much harder to answer and frankly not something that many of us here will be able to answer for you. In fact, you may really be the only person who can answer that. Next would be your doctor and after that would be other experts.

As so many people have found out first hand, getting off of Suboxone is not necessarily the hardest part. It is staying in recovery without Suboxone that may prove to be the difficult part. And that, unfortunately, is a very long and on going debate - namely, should Suboxone be used for a finite period of time or is it something that patients should remain on for years and perhaps for life.

Are you ready for life without Suboxone? Have you addressed all of the many things that you need to; related to your disease of addiction? That's where I really see this question eventually landing.

Physically, with 240 days of medication, you are good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would agree that you have PLENTY of suboxone left! From here, you may consider going to .35mg a day, then to .20mg a day, both times using the liquid taper method for ten days or so.
Just a suggestion!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:22 pm 
Welcome to the forum dimer, and congratulations on your success in your recovery and tapering your Suboxone thus far! You didn't mention much about the extent or duration of your opiate addiction or your processes of recovery other than being on Sub for two years, so I'll assume and hope that you have taken all the necessary steps toward a lasting recovery (education, support, etc.) If that is the case and you are really ready to try recovery without Suboxone, then I would agree with what the others have said: You should have plenty of medicine left to continue to taper and eventually discontinue Sub without too much difficulty from a physical (withdrawal) standpoint. As Peuellapea mentioned, the liquid taper method might be something for you to look into in order to taper to very low dosages before jumping off completely. You can find Diary of a Quitter's detailed account of this method here on the forum. During the final stages of the taper and upon getting off Sub, you'll benefit from increasing your physical exercise and by ramping up any spiritual practices, counseling, or support group meetings that you participate in. The true test will likely come after some time off Sub when you have to rely on these other methods to stay in recovery.
I would suggest that you discuss your plans with your physician though. There's nothing wrong with letting him/her know what your situation is, that you can no longer afford the frequent office visits and that you feel ready to finish tapering. I think that would be far preferable over just 'disappearing'. That way if you need medication for support when you get off Sub completely or in the event that you change your mind and decide you need to stay on Sub, your doctor will at least know what's going on. So please consider talking with your doctor about this.
Above all, your recovery has to remain priority number one. Let us know what you decide and how your taper goes. We would love to support you whatever you decide to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback. I've just heard so many horror stories of people running out of their meds and going through a month of withdrawal. I do feel that I am ready to be suboxone free in 2010. I've really changed a lot in the last two years both mentally and physically and I know now its time to turn the page. Again, I really appreciate the response and your support. I will keep you all updated as I progress in my tapering.