It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and been lurking around reading different topics. Let me give you a little bit of my history, I became addicted to Norco pain pills 10/325 strength due to my conditions. I have Crohn's Diseases and been taking Norco for the past 3 years. Now I just take norco to avoid the withdrawal, I probably say I take no more then 3-4 pills a day. I been spreading taking the pill every 6-10 hours.

I just recently saw a sub doctor that told me I should be on sub for a year before thinking about tapering. I'm not to sure if I want to stay on sub for that long. I was thinking about taking sub only when the withdrawal start kicking in then stop wait a couple days and see how I feel. I remember reading on also different site people saying to take less sub as possible to help the WD's and your body wont get addicted to the sub's.

So that's the game plan the only problem is I don't know which mg to start off? I know the sub doctor prescribe the 8mg and 2mg. Which mg do you think I should take when the WD's start?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Try the 2 mg, wait an hour or so and if not feeling better, try another 2 mg. The idea is to find a dose that you feel normal with and zero withdrawals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Also, when you find the dose that brings you to that normal, feel ok, level, stay there for a few days or a week, then start lowering the dose, staying at the dose for a week, then lowering. There are a couple of people on here that could probably give you more detailed taper advice as they are currently tapering off subs and am sure mama, rca and ji will chime in soon!!!!!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Birdman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and been lurking around reading different topics. Let me give you a little bit of my history, I became addicted to Norco pain pills 10/325 strength due to my conditions. I have Crohn's Diseases and been taking Norco for the past 3 years. Now I just take norco to avoid the withdrawal, I probably say I take no more then 3-4 pills a day. I been spreading taking the pill every 6-10 hours.

I just recently saw a sub doctor that told me I should be on sub for a year before thinking about tapering. I'm not to sure if I want to stay on sub for that long. I was thinking about taking sub only when the withdrawal start kicking in then stop wait a couple days and see how I feel. I remember reading on also different site people saying to take less sub as possible to help the WD's and your body wont get addicted to the sub's.

So that's the game plan the only problem is I don't know which mg to start off? I know the sub doctor prescribe the 8mg and 2mg. Which mg do you think I should take when the WD's start?

Hey Birdman, Welcome! Glad you posted!! As Trainer mentioned, I am one of the people here who has been doing a long slow taper. My situation is quite different from yours, but I would agree to take as little as possible, personally I wish I would have never touched the stuff in the first place, but I understand some need it and it has saved lives. You need to of course, listen to your dr., and then do what works for you. After taking about 12mgs daily for almost 8 years (I kinda built up to that over the first few years), I tapered down over the last 6months and am now at .375mgs for about the last 2 weeks. I really didn't start feeling classic, physical "withdrawal" symptoms until I got under 1mg, probably because I tapered very slowly and would always stay at my lower dose for 3 weeks before another drop. 1mg of suboxone is still a LOT of suboxone, which I did not realize until it had its claws way into me. I would read as many of the "success stories" as you can, and stay away from the "horror stories". There are many people here with lots of clean time who I'm sure can and will share their wisdom with you if you stick around. Good luck!
rca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the replays!

So this is what I'm going to try to do, I'll start with the 2mg strip first when I am in WD from the Norco. I know the half-life of sub's are much longer so I should be able to avoid taking sub's for at least a day or two. Then see how I feel from there, and i'll take another 2mg strip if the WD get really bad then tapper down from there.

My goal is not to stay on sub no longer for couple week's maybe 3-4 weeks the most. My addiction is more of physical addiction. That's the only reason why I keep taking the Norco cause I cant get pass the Physical withdrawal. I even try tapper down my dose from the Norco but it doesn't matter. WD from 5mg strength is the same as 10mg for me.

The good news is that I don't need to take the Norco as much anymore since I am in remission with my condition. I have been taking my Norco pills about 6-10 hours depending how fast the WD's symptoms start. I'll be picking up my sub's script today from CVS and i'll give this a shot. I'll be around this site often now and see if my game plan works.

More replay are welcome on different methods! I would love to read more, I feel that Sub is a good TOOL in aiding the detox from other opiates. The person just need to be responsible enough to take action into their own hands and taper off the sub's. :D

Also I kinda think its BS how sub doctor don't take insurance and that my sub's medicine isn't cover from insurance also. The cost for monthly supply will be 410 dollar for me? I can't believe some people are able to afford that. If you think about it, that 410 dollar save up every month by the end of the year. You save up so much money you can go on a damn nice vacation!

I have a feeling my sub doctor is helping people staying away from other opiate but at the same time want you stay on sub for a long time so he can keep you for his business. Do any of you feel the same way?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

While I agree that there are *some* unscrupulous doctors out there, the majority are only looking out for our best interest and know it takes time and distance from our old lifestyles and DOC to make gains in the recovery process, thats why they suggest staying on subs for a lengthy time. My sub doctor was amazing and we tapered off 16 mg all the way to 2 mg after she asked me "are you ready to do this" and I was. 23 days sub free today and couldn't be happier :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

trainer14 wrote:
While I agree that there are *some* unscrupulous doctors out there, the majority are only looking out for our best interest and know it takes time and distance from our old lifestyles and DOC to make gains in the recovery process, thats why they suggest staying on subs for a lengthy time. My sub doctor was amazing and we tapered off 16 mg all the way to 2 mg after she asked me "are you ready to do this" and I was. 23 days sub free today and couldn't be happier :)

Nice!!!! How long were you on sub btw trainer? is the price for sub and doctor visit pretty much similar for everyone ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

5 almost 6 years. The fall of this year would of been 6. Price is different everywhere. My clinic takes all kinds of insurance so for me, the office visit and script cost me 45 a month. Some places only take cash which is pricey!!!!! There was 2 months where my insurance was messed up waiting to transfer over to my husband's plan and I had to pay 385 for the script both months but my dr waived the office fee because she knew it wasnt my fault.

the place I went to was very strict as far as compliance with meds and drug tests but would waive fees here and there for some folks. Pee dirty twice and they tossed you out. I never relapsed in allthe years I went. I did need surgery s few years back to rebuild my ankle and only used narcotic pain meds for a week then went right back on subs. My sub doctor was kept Iin the loop the whole time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

dang that's pretty good! I don't think I have a choice to stay on sub for a long time cause my insurance doesn't cover it. So the doctor visit and for sub it will cost me 410 dollar a month. This is more then enough motivation for me to quit this month.

I just open my sub box and it comes in a blue package that say 8mg/2mg does that mean it only 8mg? I'm so lost. I'll post a picture.

Attachments:
IMAG0109_1.jpg
IMAG0109_1.jpg [ 180.5 KiB | Viewed 416 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

holy batman!

Sorry for such a huge picture lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:18 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

narco 10/325 is nothing compared to the strength of subs. I would re-think your whole process, just me. I was on 10/325 5-6 every 3-4 hours for 9 months and came off them with minor w/d . it was like 3-4 days and done. if you go on subs you will drag this out a while. I would only start with 1-2mg for the first few days you can take them 1mg then drop to .5 for 2 days and stop. you will thank me, if you go on subs its a bitch to get off. If you have the strips they have narcan in them so it will take almost 2 days in full withdrawal before you can take them. the narcan is a blocker so if you take it to early you will go into early withdrawal. So what I am saying is by the time you can take them you have maybe 2 days left of w/d and your done, done, done without subs. just my 2 cent but I am trying to save you the hell most of us here went thru. If you start, start low like I said and get off of them if you can the first 5-10 days. 1mg of subs is equal to 20-30mg of oxy. JMO I am no DR.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:28 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

that means they are 8mg subutex with 2mg of narcan in 1 strip. if you cut 8 squares out of 1 strip they are 1 mg subutex .25mg narcan. I strip is equal to 240mg of oxy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you, I'll cut them up and quit sub's within 2 weeks. I know I'm not taking much narco but I'm so weak toward the physical withdrawal it so sad :(

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:38 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

yea the fast and off taper will do you best. you may need 1-2 mg max for 5-7 days then taper off buy .5 and when you get to .5 and start to skip days, so it .5 skip 1, .5 skip 2, and so on until you reach 4 skipped days and stop.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:42 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

sorry I do apologize for the comment nothing compared to subs. w/d is real for everyone no matter what you come off. that was not meant to sound like it did. best of luck and keep posting. :!:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

dirtyblonde wrote:
sorry I do apologize for the comment nothing compared to subs. w/d is real for everyone no matter what you come off. that was not meant to sound like it did. best of luck and keep posting. :!:

Its OK I do appreciate for your advice and definitely going to use it :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

dirtyblonde wrote:

I think you gave him good advice. If one has the intention of stopping opiates for good, than a fast taper with suboxone can work wonders. It gets one through the WDs of their drug of choice with minimal discomfort, and if its a matter of couple weeks or so, the sub withdrawal is almost painless. A long term plan is still needed though after short term sub use, whether it be 12 Step meetings, and/or professional therapy, the S.M.A.R.T program...whatever works. I got stuck on it longer than I intended, but was still only a matter of months rather than years. My hand was sort of forced too, with primary supplier getting put in county jail for awhile, for probation violation. He was using other drugs still (coke, xanax), and thought skipping his probation appts was the lesser of two evils than dropping dirty. He called his probation officer with excuses a couple times, than she knew he was BSing, so they came for him. He was prescribed 24mg a day (three 8mg strips), but only used about 2mg per day and sold the rest. He often had a hard time getting rid of them, so price was decent (and his insurance was covering all of the cost). Everybody wants full agonist pills or H, so low demand for subs, except for those caught between a rock and a hard place who want one or two, just to avoid withdrawals temporarily, or some like me, wanting to use them to do a self-medicating detox, to avoid high cost of office visits, all the red tape, being in yet another gov't database, etc, that goes along with signing on to a clinic or doc. I could have kept on going with subs though, I had other sporadic sources, but I decided enough was enough, I never intended to use them as long as I did (but am an addict after all), just kept pushing the jump date ahead. It was getting to be a hassle though, I didn't like the side effects, and it all coincided with a window of opportunity in which I had little responsibility or prior social obligations. Plus, the arrest of my primary supplier was an eye opener that made me think that with my luck, I might have been busted somehow for possession of a controlled substance w/out a script, and other charges (raid on a residence while I was there, etc). He is out of jail now and in some sort of long term rehab to finish out his sentence (that doesn't include use of sub), and called me recently. He sounded good, hopefully he will stay clean when he gets out. He says he wants to, and he called me because he knew I was of a recovery mindset when I paid him visits prior to his arrest.

Anyway, my original point about your advice being good for Birdman. Long term maintenance is good choice for people who really aren't of a mindset of quitting for good yet, but want to remove themselves from the lifestyle that goes along with using illicitly obtained narcotics. A lot of doctors seem to discourage short term detox and put people on monstrous doses that seem WAY out of proportion to the usage level of their patients' drug(s) of choice. The cynic in me thinks its often because they think it will create a new steady customer, although I also give benefit of the doubt and think it could be ignorance in some instances, or, some docs think that loading them up with a large dose, and recommending long term maintenance will prevent relapse on drug(s) of choice, simply because of relapse rate statistics (as opposed to getting a good feel for whom they are dealing with, i.e., are they seriously determined and committed to quitting for good, etc.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:03 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Birdman wrote:
dirtyblonde wrote:

Its OK I do appreciate for your advice and definitely going to use it :D

they do work great and they eliminate w/d almost all together. and they are easier to get off then straight w/d from hard opiates just much longer due to the long half life of the subs. some people on here stay on subs for life due to constant triggers that may jeopardize their sobriety. keep posting, others will chime in im sure. subs save my life so I am not bashing them at all, just telling you how I wish it would have happened for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:06 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi and welcome! My hydro habit was pretty similar to yours, which wasn't much, and not for very long either. I have to agree with db on this one in regard to subs vs hydros, and the strength - start off taking the smallest amounts possible. Even though my sub doc has been very encouraging as far as me tapering and getting of sub completely, he prescribed a 16 mg dose for induction, which is a truck load in contrast to the amount of norcos/percs I was taking! I remember seeing someone online describe it as "killing a fly with a shotgun"! Years ago when I was strung out on heroin and got on subs, I was prescribed the exact same dose: 1 - 8mg 2x daily. So it doesn't make a lick of sense that i take that amount for a fairly small hydro habit, when that dose is pretty much protocol to treat heroin addicts! Anyway, I have been on a taper now for just over a month, tried to jump once, but was too soon and continuing for a few more weeks. I am currently at ~.5mg daily, broken into 2 doses. And I was also one of the ones trainer was referring to!

Like everyone else has pretty much already said, we are not doctors, however, doctors (as far as I know) have never had to get on, taper, or jump off subs, so listen to your body too. Get yourself stable at a dose to where you are eating and sleeping fairly well with minimal discomfort, then go from there. I believe you said you were going to start at 2mg at a time, which I think is a perfect amount. Remember: you can always take more, but you can't take it out of your body once it's in there! Also, just getting into healthier lifestyle habits; i.e., exercise, nutritious foods, "talking" on this forum, etc., will do wonders during this process. Keep posting and letting us know how it's going. I have found some great support, suggestions, and encouragement here! All my best wishes to you that you can maintain a low amount, and be on this stuff for as little time as possible!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:59 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Birdman wrote:
holy batman!

Sorry for such a huge picture lol

Lol :lol: