It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

first off i went from oxycontin to meth 4 years ago. i tapered myself down from over 100mgs to under 30 and never felt a hint of difference along the way. i did it slowly over time but i heard so many people say that once you go below 40mgs you start to feel the withdrawl. well thats obviously BS because i never felt a thing. i probably could of taken another 2 years and slowly tapered off the meth but decided to switch to subs and taper off of them instead because i have a good friend and someone else i know both slowley taper off subs and said it was much easier then they expected and i heard so many horror stories about meth withdrawl.

now that i have read some posts here about people quiting im asking myself if it really makes a difference which drug i came off of. i really dont know anyone who tapered down to 1mg of meth and walked because everyone seems to walk at higher doses then complain about the extreme withdrawl. i guess as long as meth isnt easier to come off of i made the correct choice because my insurance fully covers the suboxone(except for a $10 copay) and al the office visits.

anyway does anyone have any evidence that one may be easire then the other to come off of? im not talking about stopping at a higher dose but doing a slow taper over a long period. i hear opinions all the time and like most of you have always heard subs are easier but why do we say that? any info would be great. thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dude you are doing great!!! If you feel well with what your doing now why do different? I wish i would have got to taper slowly off methadone. I i had to quit at 150mg and oh my god you just cant imagine what i went trough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello, I guess this is a bit old of a thread but I will chime in anyway...

Congratz on how far you made it so far. It has been a wihle, hopefully we all can be updated.

I have read ( search this forum, suboxonetalkzone.com and google for evidence) that it SHOULD be easier to get off of buprehorphine compared to methadone. Methadone is a full opioid agoinist, such as heroin, oxy, etc ( assuming you do not know...if you do know, great!). Buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist and actually part antagonist in a way. Suboxone has buprenorphine and the opioid antagonist naloxone (which doesnt absorb when you take under the tougne, plus bupe has much stronger affinity to the receptors), where as subutex just has the bupe. Methadone differs from other pain meds, heroin, oxy, etc because it is very long acting. As long as 72 hour half life in some people and maybe more. More likely 24 hours or so, and even less sometimes. But in all, this allows once per day dosing. Better than being in active addiction. Suboxone, or bupe, also alows for once a day dosing with similar half life but average around 37 hours. The suboxone being partial agonist does not activate certain opiate receptors in the brain like the methadone and oxy and heroin does. When you come off of either of the two you do it very slowly and take it to the smallest dose possible to minimize w/d symptoms. Most likely we will have some sort of discomfort but some don't if done properly. If you jump from either of them at a high dose you will have loooong w/d, some very severe but not as severe as a heavy dope or potent pain med addiction/habit. I am not too familiar with methadone, but obviously if you can get down to 1mg per day or every other you should be pretty well off I would imagine. But I guess it will be very hard to get that low especially because of the time it could take. Suboxone is very potent and is measured in micrograms too. For other preperations of bupe, 200-600 MICROGRAMS is an analgesic equivlant dose to many narcotic pain meds, so even 1 mg, or 1000 micrograms is a very high dose (mainly in europe, but I think there is an injectable solution buprenex in the usa). If you can get to 100 or even 50 micrograms per dose using DOAQ liquid taper method and even dose every other or every 2-3 days at the end of the taper and you will basically eliminate w/d's. In any event, the suboxone will have a milder w/d relative to the dose being jumped from compared to the methadone I would have to guess.

HUH!

That was a lot of 'info' quick. I am not an expert or doctor at all....just recovering addict on suboxone for 6 months. Please consult a professional before making any decisions! Thanks for listening to WHAT I LEARNED, and good luck to all!!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: methadone or suboxone
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Me and my boyfriend both quit using heroin at the same ime, he decided on suboxone and i went with methadone and now that we have both decided to quit the meth/sub i can tell you if i had insurance i would go the suboxone route. it has been 4 days and he is already able to sleep through most of the night and keep food down. I on the other hand still see no hope of sleep and can barley look at food. I am trying to quit at 50mg. though. but i've tried before at 10mg and after 10 days of not sleeping i caved and went back , this time i'm forcing myself to do it, but if you can get suboxone then i suggest you do it, but to each his own!