It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Question, please answer!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What is the EXACT reason that doctors decide to switch pregnant women from suboxone to subutex? I ask because my Dr. must have accidentally written me the wrong script because when I picked it up, it was suboxone, and not the subutex that he had switched me to. If this were any other doctor and any other medication, I would have had the pharmacy call the dr. office and figure it out..but I am sure you all know how crazy sub is..and I have had nothing but BAD LUCK with it since the beginning..so basically I just took the suboxone in favor of ending up with nothing, which is most likely how it would have happened. Anyway..So, I am due literally any day now, but I must know..will this cause any issues? I read soemwhere that the naloxone can cause some kind of withdrawals???? I do not see how this is possible, but if so, please explain. Thank you to anyone who can help answer my question!

Post subject: Naloxone
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:05 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Please try to find Dr. Junig's many articles on the subject of the naloxone in suboxone. It does nothing when suboxone is taken sublingually (under the tongue) . Some people have a reaction to it but that's not because of withdrawal, and it is rare. Best wishes for you and baby!

Post subject: please
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:08 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

SORRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :oops:

Last edited by oclafsti on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im sorry, being on suboxone IS NOT at ALL the same as being on herion while pregnant.

And this is a SUPPORT forum, K?

You've already expressed your true level of knowledge on the subject, or lack there of. So thats

all I have to say.......

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: please
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

oclafsti wrote:
PLEASE get off suboxone while your pregnant, for the babies sake.. its not fair to the baby to have him born being a drug addict addicted to opiates.. Hell suffer and go threw horirble withdraws like anyone else would stopping suboxone.GIve the baby a choice, dont guarentee him to be a drug addict with his first breath...being on suboxone is an opiate, its the same thing as if you were on heroin while pregnant, the baby will be born addicted to opiates and be a drug adfdict for life, not fair to him please ween yourself off the subs while your pregnant at least you can do it!

Oh my goodness....

Don't listen to that. Tapering off is worse for the baby I have read here a bunch...

but there is some reason doctors switch to subutex for pregnancy but I'm not sure exactly why. I think it is the naloxone

Someone will clear it up

:)

Gb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:28 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

heroin is actually not harmful at all( the stuff they cut it with can be though)

please explain to me how its different heroin vs suboxone.if anything suboxone is harder to wthdraw from with people having stated it can last up to a few months of feeling horrible, where as heroin is about 7 days..an OPIATE IS AN OPIATE,If you think im wrong saying the baby will be born addicted to opiates and have to withdraw as an infant then you my friend are nieve, or maybe just dont want to face the facts suboxone is a opiate.. im supprting her fully with my opinion to not have a baby while on drugs, thanks and best of luck with your pregnancy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

all I know, for sure, is MY suboxone doctor told me,
that when pregnant women get thier dose to below 6 mg of bupe per day, LESS than 5% of babies born have withdrawl symptoms.

what do you think the percentage is for women on HERION????? Oh and all the crap its cut with I mean?

the suboxne doctor I see, was an OBGYN, for 15 yrs. when one of his patients gets pregnant, he doesnt even release the info of the mothers being on sub.

and 95% LEAVE THE HOSPITAL AS NORMAL

I guess when your a doctor, you can tell your patients to go ahead and shoot herion, its much safer

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DEAR ELEVEN,

congrats on the baby!!!!
and I wouldnt worry too much about the mix up....

great job of getting off the hard opiates by the way. My doctor says that less than 5% of babies born to women on bupe, show any w/d symptoms at all.
and he says when they DO show signs, he thinks its likely related to SOMEthing else.

Im sorry your thread went haywire

you might scroll thru some of the older pregnancy stories on here, (theres pages and pages) you might just find another occurance, or similar story you can relate too.

ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD,
amber :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's TRUE STRENGTH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:51 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Eleven wrote:
What is the EXACT reason that doctors decide to switch pregnant women from suboxone to subutex? I ask because my Dr. must have accidentally written me the wrong script because when I picked it up, it was suboxone, and not the subutex that he had switched me to. If this were any other doctor and any other medication, I would have had the pharmacy call the dr. office and figure it out..but I am sure you all know how crazy sub is..and I have had nothing but BAD LUCK with it since the beginning..so basically I just took the suboxone in favor of ending up with nothing, which is most likely how it would have happened. Anyway..So, I am due literally any day now, but I must know..will this cause any issues? I read soemwhere that the naloxone can cause some kind of withdrawals???? I do not see how this is possible, but if so, please explain. Thank you to anyone who can help answer my question!

I do not agree with one of the answers here. You should be on subutex because of the naloxone in suboxone. You should call your Dr. about the mixup..I do not think he would want a pregnant woman on suboxone, but subutex.
By all means do not just quit taking the drug. How many mg.s are you taking? To stop would put you and the baby in withdrawal and might cause harm to the baby...this is what I have read on this forum many times. You do not want your baby to have withdrawals which could cause miscarriage or other problems. Get your medicine straightened out with your doctor asap and do what your doctor tells you to do. This is not about your baby being born an addict and so forth, this is about your baby's health right now.

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:47 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I went to my sub dr. yesterday and told her of my new pregnancy. She did not give me subutex and told me I could continue on suboxone. She explained that she's worked with several women on suboxone throughout their pregnancy and that its considered "safe" for pregnant mothers. She said that she's not worried at all about the 4mg's of bupe I take on a daily basis. And that the small amount of naloxone in the subs isn't a problem for the baby either.
It seems like most expectant mothers are switched to subutex, but this isn't the case for me. I haven't done enough research about suboxone v. subutex to develop a personal stance on this. I plan to look into this and will discuss the option of subutex if I feel its necessary.
Also, just as a sidenote, Mr doctor also said that subs are considered safe during pregnancy up to 32 mgs! I live in NC (near the Research Triangle) and she referenced studies by Duke and UNC hospitals. I'm not stating this as fact, just reiterating what my doctor said and where she got her info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Let me restate - I know that there havent' been extensive long term studies regarding suboxone and subutex and how they relate to pregnancy, so when I said she referenced "studies" via local research/teaching hospitals, I probably should have said "evidence" or "current schools of thought". I apologize and don't want anyone to "hit a nerve" with anyone, as this is not what this forum is about! Just wanted to clarify.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replys, well, most of them :P

First I'd like to say that I have been on sub for years and am very VERY well researched on the medication. I have also been a member of this forum for years and have found so much good advice here.

So..the reason for my question is because, while reading this site, I followed a link to a page about pregnancy and methadone and suboxone and that page claimed that the switch from SUBOXONE to SUBUTEX was made because SUBOXONE would cause precipitated withdrawal in an infant. Now...this would only be true if the child continued to take suboxone after birth and after recieving another opiate, correct? My understanding of PRECIPITATED WITHDRAWAL does not logically equal INFANT IN PAIN. So..hopefully whoever wrote what I read was just confused.

I am due any day now..tomorrow is my official due date!

Post subject: Re: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Eleven wrote:
Thanks for the replys, well, most of them :P

First I'd like to say that I have been on sub for years and am very VERY well researched on the medication. I have also been a member of this forum for years and have found so much good advice here.

So..the reason for my question is because, while reading this site, I followed a link to a page about pregnancy and methadone and suboxone and that page claimed that the switch from SUBOXONE to SUBUTEX was made because SUBOXONE would cause precipitated withdrawal in an infant. Now...this would only be true if the child continued to take suboxone after birth and after recieving another opiate, correct? My understanding of PRECIPITATED WITHDRAWAL does not logically equal INFANT IN PAIN. So..hopefully whoever wrote what I read was just confused.

I am due any day now..tomorrow is my official due date!

That is NOT the reason why pregnant women are switched from Suboxone to Subutex. I think you're correct that whoever wrote that is confused.

The reason for switching from Suboxone to Subutex is really simple - Subutex contains one less ingredient than Suboxone. That's it.

Because researchers really can't study the effects of medications on pregnant women (ethical concerns), they just try to err on the side of caution. They recommend that pregnant women switch to Subutex because it works the same as Suboxone and any concerns about the effects of naloxone are eliminated.

Suboxone and Subutex are both considered category C medications for pregnancy, as is methadone. There is more data on the use and safety of methadone during pregnancy, so it is still considered the standard for opiate replacement therapy in pregnant women. However, the data that exists (case study data) on the use of Suboxone or Subutex indicates that it is as safe as methadone and in some cases is better. Like any drug taken during pregnancy, the benefits and risks have to be weighed by the woman and her doctor when making the decision to treat.

Congrats on your soon-to-be baby and best of luck with your delivery. I hope everything works out well for you and all the people who care for your and your baby treat you with kindness and respect.

Here's a link to a short paper about buprenorphine and pregnancy:

http://www.naabt.org/documents/PCSSPregnancy.pdf

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

oclafsti... again? eeesh.... Is this person joking? They must be. I can't wrap my head around the idea that someone is out there that really thinks the things they posted are true... Oh wait, then I remembered how naive and misinformed some people are. Moving on...
Diary of a Quitter said it best, so there is not much more for me to add!
During a pregnancy, the least amount of crap that you put into your body=better, therefor they would rather you take Subutex instead of Suboxone since Subutex does not contain naloxone. Since the naloxone is just added to Subs as an abuse deterrent & nothing more, your baby doesn't need it :D

"My understanding of PRECIPITATED WITHDRAWAL does not logically equal INFANT IN PAIN."

You are right! You do not have to worry about that.

GOOD LUCK!! Hope everyone is happy and healthy :wink: