It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:25 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all. I'm new to this site....well, I've been visiting for a while but I just registered as a member. I've been on suboxone for 1 1/2 years and subutex 10 months before that. I'm ready to STOP. I went to a detox unit yesterday and was going to check in to Detox and then transfer to Rehab, but after speaking with the nurse, I quickly changed my mind. After reviewing several other peoples taper stories, I have decided to taper down to a MUCH smaller dosage, and then go to Detox and Rehab. As I said, I have been on suboxone, 8 mg, and have decreased to 6 mg yesterday and today. My goal is to decrease to 4 mg for four days and then to 2 mg for four days. Then, decrease to 1 mg for a full week, 0.75 for four days, 0.50 for four days, 0.25 for four days, and finally 0.10 for four days. It seems that everyone has tapered from higher doses (16, 12, 8) down to relatively lower doses (8, 4, 2) without much problem. What I'm wondering is, do you think it would be okay to go from 6 mg to 2 mg in 8 days witihout many symptoms? Then, taking longer to taper in the smaller doses (from 1 mg to 0.10 mg in 20 days)? I'm trying to go to Detox by April 1. I know that I may have some WDs to deal with even in Detox, but I have the opportunity to go so I figure why not?? I'm not in school or working right now so I have unlimited time to focus on my detox and recovery. I'm so ready to get into treatment though, that I fear I may rush the tapering and live to regret it. I would love some advice on whether or not you think this taper schedule is okay.
Also, I've been reading a lot that getting off 8 mg is the same as getting off 2 mg (30 mg of methadone each). If that is true, is it going to be any easier in getting off 0.25 mg than it would be 1 mg? I understand that this may not be the most pleasant of processes, but I'm staying positive. I just hate to delay hospital detox to taper if the detox is going to feel the same at any dosage of sub. Any comments would help. Thanks!!!
(P.S. Thank you to all of your amazing stories. It feels unbelievable to know that there are others out there going through the EXACT same thing as me. It's great not to feel alone!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have never tapered from Suboxone. So let me say that right away. I have, however, detoxed and gone into withdrawals multiple times so it's not like I don't have any experience in this area. Here are my thoughts on this. For me, I would hands down rather detox at home than at some hospital, rehab, etc. Now, obviously being at a medical facility will afford you some additional drugs to address some of your symptoms. It would be best to have those at home as well. But, either way, for me, I'd rather be sick in my own home than in another place.

As for your taper schedule, I think it may be a little bit aggressive at the front end. You may need to give yourself a little bit more time in the 2 to 6 mg range. Speaking totally from observation, it seems like people start to really feel the effects of tapering around the 4 mg mark. Then at the 1 mg mark is where it seems like you have to go even slower and try no more than 0.25mg reductions. The slower that you can do all of this, the better that it's going to be for you.

I am starting to feel like a broken record with my final comment, but here it is again. To me, dose is really just a number. The number that you are at doesn't mean nearly as much to me as how you feel. That really is the key to this for you. If you start to feel worse at 4 mg, well then so be it. If it starts to get rough at 2 mg then that's what it is. Regardless, I strongly encourage you to pay much more attention to how you are feeling than to the number you are at. Try not to rush it - as best you can (I understand you may have a time-table). The slower you can do this, the less negative symptoms you are likely to have. I think your goal of getting down to 0.10 and then going to your program is right on target.

I hope that helps. I'm sure there will be others here that can help much more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would agree with donh. I am no expert either, but I have tapered from 6mg/day to .8mg/day and will be going to .6 in a couple of days and my WD symptoms have been very manageable. I believe for most people (whatever that means) the taper dose should be 10 days to a few weeks before going to the next one. Using this method I have been able to work and carry on a normal life. Everyone is different and if you are a very positive and strong person, your schedule could work for you, but if at all posible, I would try to stretch it out more.

Good luck whatever you do!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:39 am 
Hi Colby and wecome! I'm glad to have you here....it sounds like you have a lot of experience with Subutex and Suboxone. I can't help you much on your tapering questions as I'm not there just yet. I'm on 4mg/day of Suboxone after starting it 7-8 months ago at 12-16mg/day. I don't plan to come completely off Sub for a while yet but I can tell you that I have tried to drop below 4mg/day and ran into a few problems. I think I just wasn't ready yet to taper further, so just decided to hold off for a while. Anyway, so limited experience myself with tapering.
Back to you....have you been taking your bupe by prescription and under the care of a doctor? What has prompted your intense desire to come off the medication at this time? Just curious.......Easy enough to understand if you just feel like "it's time" or something and you've tried to wean off before and been unsuccessful. I guess it just struck me that most of us here are on bupe as one of our "detox" or "rehab" or "recovery" tools, but there are people out there like you who are seeking treatment to get off this medication. Very interesting.....I would love to hear more about your story when you have time.
As far as what you're planning.....it doesn't sound too unreasonable. I wish you had a little more time to stabilize at each dose drop because as you know, bupe has such a long half life that it takes several days to 'feel' dose drops. As others have said, I don't expect you to have too much trouble until you get down below 2mg or so, maybe even less. You obviously have plans for your recovery after coming off bupe and that is great! That would be the thing I would be the very most concerned about.....Many of us have proven capable of coming off our opiate of choice for a period of time. The real test comes after the weeks, months go by and the old desires come creeping back in......then what? That's when it gets tough in my opinion. Make sure that you've got a solid relapse prevention plan in place.....I know you don't want to go back and start all over again!
All the best. When you get a minute...please come back and tell us more about yourself!