It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So usually when I fill my script at the pharmacy, it will say what quantity I have remaining on the bottle. For example, my insurance pays for 2 weeks at a time so I get 28 pills at once. And then it says how many are left. This time I went to fill my script for two weeks worth and it does not give a number on the bottle, but instead this time it says 1 refill remaining. I was curious if anyone knows what the difference is? What this means? I'm kinda confused by it. No change in doctor or pharmacy or anything like that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is really a pain when insurers won't cover 30 days. In my area, scripts are almost always written (and filled) for 30 days at a time. A doc who wants to see a patient in 2 months would write a script for 30 days, with 1 refill. The patient would come home with a vial of 60 tabs (if taking two per day) and the bottle would say 'one refill remaining'. After 28-30 days the patient could pick up a vial with 60 more tabs, that says 'no refills remaining'.

If your doc gives you scripts for only 2 weeks at a time, but wants to see you in 4 weeks, the doc would write for 28 tabs, and one refill (I would write 'one refill in two weeks' to make sure the pharmacist knew the script was only to last 2 weeks). It sounds like you have 28 more tabs waiting to be refilled and picked up at the pharmacy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm guessing in RX lingo, when you get a script that has a label saying "Refills left - 1"...it means that you have exactly that same amount that you just received in that script remaining for refill in whatever period of time is specified by the script (2 subq bis in die, or 2 sl bid prn )
...you can always call them and ask for the number..

I have had Walmart put Refills left: 1 before XX/XX/XXXX on Suboxone, when I didn't have but 5 left to pick up...and the bottle I just received had 70 in it.
They didn't have 75, so they filled 70, and gave me a bottle that said 70 with 1 refill left. Of course I didn't have another 70 left, but I knew how many I should have, as did they...
Guess it all depends on the pharmacy and how they do things. Could've been a different or new pharmacy tech that day that filled your script...

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.