It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Was Your Long Term Taper A Nightmare, or Would you Compare it to the Flu?
My experience with the taper wasn't as bad as many make it out to be 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
The withdrawal, even with the long taper, was still miserable. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The withdrawal from a taper was very similar to quitting smoking 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
My withdrawal with a taper was nothing like quitting smoking. 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on Suboxone on and off for 5 years, have been consistently on 16mg for 2 years. I Understand completely how withdrawals feel, and have had experienced PAWS. I have never done an extended taper. (Most was 2 weeks)

I just quit smoking cigarettes. To me there are strong similarities of tobacco withdrawal with opiate withdrawal (obviously less intense and no physical).

I have heard horror stories of intense withdrawals, even with well done and managed tapers. I have also heard of the withdrawal compared to the Flu.

I haven't heard anyone compare sub withdrawal to quitting smoking. Has anyone experienced both, and does anyone have any info for me about it?

Also if anyone has info about a taper they would like to share I am very open to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi,

I haven't jumped yet but in the past 2 years I've gone from 8mg to .09mg. I had 3 major surgeries in that time and after one of them I stayed at whatever dose I was at (1.5mg?) for like 3 months. I just have been slowly making progress and I have yet to feel any withdrawal although a few times it was difficult to sleep so I would back off a bit and try to reduce again in a week or two. There are a few members who reported going down into the single digit micrograms and felt little or no withdrawal. That's what I'm trying to do. I'm at 90 micrograms now and most people would tell me to jump but this is what I'm doing and it's been fairly easy.

I also quit smoking using Nicorette which I chewed for 2 years and then tapered off that. Any cold turkey withdrawal is going to suck when you're in it. Nicotine is a bitch tho. If someone was going to lock me in a room to either cold turkey of 16mg of sub or a heavy smoking habit I think I would choose the nicotine withdrawal. I think...