It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am hoping that someone out there has information on NAS. My daughter was born a month ago and was not experiencing any symptoms of NAS when we left the hospital. I was taking 2mg of Subutex when I was pregnant and was scared that she would go through withdrawls. When we got home she had slight symptoms of NAS: some sneezing, a little fussiness, excessive sucking, but swaddling and keeping her in a dark, quiet environment seemed to help. After a few weeks she seemed to get better....was sleeping soundling, eating fine, not very fussy. However, this past week she has started crying unconsolably, she has started sucking excessively (has to have a pacey all the time or sucks her hands) again and today I noticed her sneezing. I don't know if NAS can last a month, can get worse or have symptoms reoccur. I don't know if she's just colicky..she is eating fine but is really gassy lately. I can't find any info about NAS symptoms and how long they can occur. The only info I can find is about acute NAS symptoms right after birth. If anyone can share their experiences with NAS I would appreciate it. I would think by now that all symptoms would be gone, but I can't find any info on how long to expect symptoms to last. Any information anyone has would help my sanity greatly!

TIA-Codi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:58 pm 
Hi - I was hoping another Mom of an NAS baby would reply, but since they didn't I throw in my response. I don't think at a month out NAS is the problem. I think the symptoms of NAS are worst a day or two after birth and then get progressively better. If your baby was doing well when she was released from the hospital then her current issues are probably normal newborn issues. You said she was gassy, and I know from having my own kids that that can cause a lot of crying and fussiness. Don't be afraid to talk to the pediatrition about the colicky symptoms and gas. I really don't think it's the NAS.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is absolutely no chance that this behavior has ANYTHING to do with your use of buprenorphine. This is a great example, though, of how people can take advantage of another person's insecurity. Thankfully nobody has done so on this site, but if you post the initial question on other 'medical boards' on the web, you will surely hear from countless 'experts' that the symptoms are related to NAS (neonatal abstinence syndrome). I saw similar things when I was an expert for MedHelp.org; other docs who would say things that were simply ridiculous, almost as if they took pleasure in making people feel bad.

A patient of mine just got home from having a baby; she was/is taking buprenorphine, and her baby had no signs of withdrawal whatsover. I've had about 10-15 other patients with the same experience. Several studies now show that the NAS is significantly less severe from buprenorphine than from opioid agonists.

Our first child, my son, was a 'difficult' baby. I probably don't remember things perfectly, but we were so stressed out; it seemed that he cried constantly, and we went through every different type of formula we could find, added different cereals, etc. He was up several times most nights, and I would drive him in the car to get him to sleep many nights. Call it 'colic', or just call it normal-- the people who have the perfect little angel who never cries are lucky indeed-- IF they exist!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the replies! It's hard to know what to do or what to blame symptoms on when your baby's is crying and you feel helpless!! I was reluctant to call the pediatrician because every little jerk or cry was blamed on NAS after her birth and she was actually doing a lot better then. The past three days she has been fine up until around 5pm and then cries non-stop til about 9. I've been doing a lot of reading up on colic and she sounds like a perfect candidate!! Unfortunately this means we are in for up to 2 more months of crying, however it also means she's perfectly normal and my two older children will just have to wear earplugs for a while! My sub doc has just instituted a women's group for women on suboxone/subutex. I am the first one in his practice to give birth while on sub therapy and hopefully what I have learned and am continuing to learn will help others who find themselves pregnant while on suboxone. Again, thanks for the replies...it really helps to be reassured!

Codi (and baby Peyton)