It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

How long after starting/restarting Suboxone, did it take you to feel 100%+ of the medicine???

(not 100% absorbtion and possibly, not 100% normal - but the best that Suboxone will ever make you feel)

Im asking EVERYONE, btw. So if you have been on suboxone 1month+ then you can answer (I saw one month or more, because some people don't feel 100%+ until after a few weeks/mos - thanks)

I was on Suboxone for 4 years(on and off the first two years do to financial issues) and the last two years of it was somewhat steady - but I chose "maintenance" instead of trying to get off it. I was taking 3-4x 8MG tablets per day(and strips for the last 2months of it) Then I had to switch to Methadone(which I will never understand - since I only felt 100% better for the morning/early afternoon depending on my doses) - which was 90mg at most. I then went down to 30mg over a few months and after reaching 30mg, I took a 24hr break and went back on Subs(about 16 days ago)

The first 5 days I felt really horrible, but started to feel better little by little on the 4th day on. Around day 7ish, I had no withdrawal symptoms and could "feel" the medicine working better, day by day. Today is the 16th day of taking Subs, and even though I don't feel any acute withdrawal(except for some aches at night or in the morning before I start dosing) - I STILL don't feel as good as I did 1+ yrs ago. Now Im taking 3 a day and going to start tapering down at the end of August-ish, but when I was taking mostly 4x 8mg tablets per day and after YEARS of taking it - I was still able to feel GREAT within 30mins after fully dissolving my doses and even when taking just a half at the end of the night before bed!

So Im asking how long it took everyone else - whether you were on Subs before, stopped for another opiate and came back, or you have only been on Subs once or currently. Im hoping that as each day passes I will get more and more out of my Suboxone until my body is fully adjusted and Im getting the most I can out of my medicine. BTw, I wait a full 45mins-1hr for each strip, or if I take 2 at once - to make sure when I spit out the saliva that's left(or swallow it) its completely clear and my gums/tongue is a bit numb.

I used to always spit out the medicine after waiting a while when I was taking tablets, and even spit it out at times when there was still a bit of orange bits in it or a darker orange color(not the light orange/clearish orange it should be) I was swallowing everything for 1 1/2 weeks, so Im trying this week of spitting it out after holding the saliva in a longggg time - just in case the swallowing causes more Nalaxone to get in my system and that's the reason why Im still waiting for the Suboxone to feel like it did and be more effective. And no, Im not looking to "get high" but I do know that the Subs aren't doing all they can for me .. yet. Ive read posts where some people didn't feel great until 1month+ or a few weeks into treatment- so Im hoping that taking the Methadone caused things to take a bit longer than usual.

Also, has anyone taken tablet subs, stopped for a while, and when they came back to subs started taking the strips and it still made them feel as great as the tablets did?

If as many of you as possible can answer my question(s) I would GREATLY APPRECIATE it! Knowing at least one other person had to wait a few weeks before the Subs were fully effective will make me breathe easier knowing that things will get better little by little until my receptors are fully ready for the subs and get the most out of my medicine.

If anyone has read this, THANK YOU for your time and patience and I cant wait to hear from all of you :) I will check back a few times per day+night so I can respond to anyone on here or from a provate message. Oh and Im in my early 30s from NYC.

Have a great week and ttys! S!

-M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It took me... As well as others I know... A couple hours to feel back to normal... That's high functioning, going to work, humanly, Ect. Best I felt on suboxone. But. Some are different based on if you were on methadone or something of the sort. Everyone is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It took me a couple of days to feel back to normal. That's really only because I had a horrible pounding headache for two days after I started suboxone, but after that subsided I felt totally normal. Let me tell you it was a strange feeling for me. To feel not high but not withdrawing either. Maybe that's what your trying to get used to???

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:47 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I went to the 1st dr. and took the bup for a year...I never felt high but had no desire for my doc...
After a year this idiot dr. said I had to get off..it was bad for me bla bla..and gave me 30 to reduce off..
I tried but would go back up and did not reduce correctly...Inever had any withdrawal??..but I wanted to go back
on my drugs...so..I found another bup dr..He gaveme the bup in his office ((unlike the 1st dr.))..and in thirty
minutes I feel great..and a little high..so I guess i was in some type of withdrawal??

But to answer your question it only took 30-40 minutes for me to feel it...and I only got high that first time.
I have never been high again...but it makes me feel better and not want the pain pills...Maybe you are not taking
enough??...Maybe you are wanting to "feel it"" when I really don't feel it or am not aware that I do..
good luck to you and the longer you stay with it I think the better you will feel.

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your post is really similar to what you posted in another thread, so I'll say something similar.

Withdrawal from methadone is a long process. I've jumped off methadone a couple of times, one with the help of naltrexone, another just straight cold turkey. When that happened, I experienced acute withdrawal for 3-4 weeks, with waves of withdrawal symptoms recurring but gradually stopping after 6 months.

Even though you've switched from methadone to Suboxone, IMO you STILL need to go through this same withdrawal process only to a much lesser degree. Reason is that methadone is a FULL agonist, Suboxone is only a partial agonist. You're only getting approx half the degree of "hold" / mu opioid stimulation from Suboxone that you got from 90mg methadone. So your body is detoxing from the methadone even though you're on Suboxone. At least this is how I've experienced transitioning from methadone to Suboxone.

That being said, Suboxone should stop you from feeling the majority of the methadone withdrawal symptoms. I'd give yourself a good month to stabilise on Sub before you'll be feeling about as good as you'll feel THIS time around.

Unfortunately the nature of opioid addiction is that your tolerance generally only goes one way - up. Switching to a full agonist, be it heroin or methadone, generally speeds up this process. Esp when you get up to high doses like 90mg+. It's likely that it will take some time before you will feel the same level of opioid stimulation that you got from Suboxone previously.

That being said, it only gets better, so don't despair. Your body is still in the adjusting period. Let it do its thing. Taking care of yourself, exercise, being generally happy ... these things help the process. So don't despair. Put a smile on your dial. :D

Post subject: I know the feeling!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi!

I actually switched from Methadone (about 120 mgs a day and I bought it on the street so that was never a steady dose) to suboxone 4 years ago.

I had horrible precipitated W/Ds for the first 2 days. HORRIBLE! And it took me about 2-3 weeks to start feeling normal.

Hope this helps :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:45 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been on a 8 month heroin binge. Taking subs when I could get them. They always made me feel horrible. Yesterday I got my hands on thirty of them. I did two 8mg tablets. Still didn't really feel right. I ended up doing some cocaine which the anxiety drove me crazy so I did some heroin. I barley felt it but since I've done the heroin I feel great!!! My advice is dose on suboxone then do your opiate of choice 8-12 hours later. You won't get high but it will take your body out of shock. I know I'll probably be called an idiot for suggesting this but it worked for me. I slept last night. Did two milligrams of suboxone this morning. Experienced mild w/d's for about twenty minutes but since then I feel great. When your body is so dependent on a drug it needs it. There have been times where I have started suboxone and felt great right away. I think what it boils down to is how bad and how long you've been on opiates. If you were doing a bag or two a day for a month the switch won't be such a shock to your body but when you go at it 10+ bags a day for 180 days it's going to be rocky for sure. I am working on getting clean and yesterday was "my last time" (i'm sure everyone reading this has had dozens of last times ;) ) Now I've done just subs for three days in a row not too long ago. Felt horrible. Where as right now I feel great and This is my third day. It really helped doing heroin on top of the suboxone to get me stable

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In Ontario (Canada), doctors are required to start Suboxone patients at 2 mg, and then can raise the dose by another 2 mg every four hours, until the 'right' dose level is reached.

I reached 6 mg on my first day, then went up to 8 mg the following day. I was feeling pretty much 100% fine in the second day.

-- JI