It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had my biweekly appt at my dr last week, he told me my urine was positive for opiates. I HAVE NOT done anything besides my subs in over a month and a half.... I had one of my subs on my way in.... He said they are sensitive and sometimes come up positive when you havent had anything, that we will know once he sends it out and still bumped me up to every three weeks....why would it come up positive like that?

its kind of disheartening because even the nurse who i see and chat with every time i go treated me different, and for the first time it was a dif nurse that took my vitals... I almost felt like well if its gonna come up positive and I will get treated as if I slipped when i didnt then why dont I make it true? Of course I can think of a thousand reasons why I dont want to do that! I just don't understand a) how that can happen and b) why would my dr still trust me to give me an extra week between appts?

Besides the point but I lost my RX that day and they were really concerned about how i was doing, my dr was out the next day so i had to wait to get my rx from him, but he did it no problem and they all were very kind about it....of course i got called in for my random the following day...I think that happening with the positive urine is why i didnt turn back to drugs to feel better for that almost 2 days with nothing... like see i really really really want this and will fight for it and can do it no matter what happens ( and ALOT has happened since getting better that i could have used as an excuse to myself to slip up!) ...this everything happens for a reason stuff is kinda gettin creepy! :-P LOL anyways, that got way off my actual question, sorry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:11 pm 
Hi moonfairy (like the name...matches my avatar!)
I can't give you any expert opinion on your question, but I at least wanted you to have a reply based on the best of my knowledge.
I can think of two scenarios that could have caused this positive screen for opiates. First of all, let me say that generally what they do immediately (those quick dip tests in the office) are NOT the final word, hence the sending the specimen out for verification. So...one scenario (quite likely) is that this is nothing more than a false positive and the further testing will be negative....no problem, you're in the clear. I bet your doctor is well aware of this fact and that's why he's not going overboard and cutting you off your program or anything like that.
The other scenario is "human error".....the test was misread OR (God forbid) someone mixed up your specimen with someone else's. Please tell me that you have your name or some sort of identifier on the container you give your specimen into. If not (unless the specimen was witnessed, as in the nurse or whoever actually watched you urinate in that cup and dipped it in your presence) then there's no way they can prove that there was not indeed a mix up. It does happen from time to time.
I guess one more possibility is that the test they used is actually picking up the buprenorphine. To my understanding most of those test kits do not pick up bup, but I have heard that it can be possible. If that's the case, again....the confirmation test will show that you have nothing in your system except your Suboxone.
You have the truth on your side. If you haven't done anything wrong you haven't done anything wrong!! Try not to worry too much. If the final test shows something that you know you did not ingest.....bring up the points above and see if there could have been mistake.
Hope that helps you. Please let me know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Moonfairy,

I don't have an answer for your question, but I just had to comment on your last paragraph. You made it 2 days without sub and you say how you really really really want this and will fight for it and that you can do it no matter what happens. That blew me away!! I mean I couldn't be any happier for you than I am right now. That is such a freaking awesome attitude!!! I love it!!

Yeah, the "things happening for a reason" happens to me often enough too, it is kind of freaky, isn't it! :D

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

the other responses on this thread have pretty much summed everything up but it does concern me that this could happen to me during a work drug test or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Poppy seed bread / cake?
Codeine?

Opiates are one of the easiest things to get a false positive for.
Opiates, benzos & amphetamines.