It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey everyone
I have been using Suboxone strips now for 102 days and I have 2 health type questions.

1) I have not had my period since I started taking it. I never used to be exact to the day every month but pretty regular. Is this common does anyone know? I am certainly not complaining. I know what your probably thinking - are you pregnant. I am in a same sex relationship at the moment so definitely not pregnant lol.

2) I have been seeing a dentist twice a year since I grew teeth. I have only ever had a scale and clean (tool used that gets tartar off) twice in all of my 37 years. Being an ex dental nurse, I do take good care of my teeth and notice thing like when tartar is building up. I am nearly due for my next check-up. This morning I noticed slight darkness on the bottom front teeth in between the gaps. When I looked at the inside of those teeth I was unhappily surprised to find dart tartar there. I have never had this before and because I look at my teeth pretty often, with my mouth wide open, to check my fillings etc, I found this disgusting. I can pretty much only put it down to suboxone. This has never happened until now, 3 and a bit months of suboxone dissolving under my tongue, near my teeth. I brush twice a day and floss not enough but at least once or twice week.
Has anyone else had this happen?

Sorry for so many questions lately but im a curious person, like to know what's going on with myself and want to know why certain thing are occurring.

Anyone know if my theory is correct, that its the suboxone causing this?

Thanks in advance
Mel :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:01 am 

Hi Mel, As you may already know about me, I had already started with symptoms of menopause when I started on suboxone. I don't know if they have any effect on my cycle. I do know that they have helped with the depression that came along with menopause. On the issue of teeth, it has been suggested many times here that suboxone has an impact. I don't think that it has ever been proven that it is a side effect. Opiate abuse does seem to create problems but I don't think its clear if it is the drug or poor dental hygiene while using. Sorry I don't have any clear answer for you on either subject! I just wanted to let you know that someone was listening. Hopefully someone with more experience will respond soon!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:54 pm 

I am going to mirror what Michelle said about there being no study proving Buprenorphine or Naloxone causes tooth decay. Normally it's blamed on not taking care of your teeth during the using phase.

But yours is different because of past experience and knowledge. There needs to be a study done with at least 100-500 people or more to either disprove or verify that there is a correlation. After seeing so many of these posts you are all starting to make me a believer. Not with me though. It seems to be only a small group of people this is happening to and I feel sorry about that. It sucks to post a problem here only to find that no one will support your view.

What is the alternative? Yep, that's right, give it up and see if your teeth start improving. What else is there?
menstrual discussion but I do have experience as an observer of one who went through a tough time with it. Find a good clinic or doctor who specializes in hormones. Once you get a person who can read your blood panel the right way they can prescribe a cream to balance out your hormones and you'll feel fine again. It just has to be done at a compounding pharmacy. The medical profession is getting better and better at this now. 10 years ago it was a real hunt to find someone who knew what they were doing. Sorry. Just had to put in my 2ยข.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:01 pm 

On the teeth issue I suggest you read Dr Junigs post from 2012 in the Talkzone.

Suboxone Talkzone. com/Suboxone and Tooth Decay. The post was updateed 2 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

From what I recall, you're too young for menopause. Is your weight very low? Sometimes women's periods stop if they're under 105lbs. I've never heard of Suboxone affecting menstrual cycles, but opioids in general can affect hormone levels. It wouldn't hurt to check with your gynecologist. Like others have said, they might just want to do some blood tests.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for your replies.
No im not anywhere near menopause thanks lol but I am small so maybe that's just it.

I have always taken care of my teeth even at my lowest point of addiction. Having been a dental nurse, I saw horrid things so have always been very focused and hygienic with my teeth. So I can tell its not decay, its more like discoloration. Just thought it odd that it started 2.5 months into sub use when I have never had anything like it before.

I just had a thought. I started smoking rollies 5 months ago so that could have something to do with it. Hmmmmmmmmm, who knows

Thanks anyway :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I must admit, I immediately thought pregnancy lol, but, as you said, it isn't possible. I've been on subs 2 years and haven't noticed any difference in that area.

Teeth. I am actually a bit scared to go to a dentist. I have been so lucky with my teeth, I've not had a single filling in my 37 years, never needed anything done aside a clean now and then. This is with a long history of both amphetamine and opiate abuse (as well as Benzos and pasty drugs) as well as 20 years of bulimia and not a great history of taking care of my teeth in my younger, reckless years. But in the last 6 months or so, I have noticed that my teeth are extremely sensitive to cold and hot food. It's not in any one place, it's random. I will get them checked out. I hope I don't have my first cavities at 37:(. I would have to put it down to the subs if that was the case.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:43 am 

One more bit of info for those who are suffering from tooth decay. Go get fitted for some trays for your teeth and buy the fluoride toothpaste from your dentist. I had to get those because of radiation to my mouth and I don't want to lose my teeth. It surely won't hurt. But they won't do any good if you don't floss everyday and brush the proper way. Ask your dental hygienist about the best way to keep your teeth clean. Flossing is #1 but so few actually do it daily. I'm one of the few and it's paid off. In the last 26 years since finding out I had gum disease I've been flossing every day with the exception of being in the hospital after tongue surgery. It just wasn't physically possible. But I only missed five days.

And I read the OP wrong the first time and had to go back and edit my comments. I meant menstrual, not menopause.

rule

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:27 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Mel! It's good to hear from you, I hope you are feeling well. I can tell you that I stopped having periods for 2+yrs while taking sub. I should add that while using, I would occasionly "miss" a period. I loved being free of the monthly, but I was told this was a risk factor for osteoporosis, which I hadn't considered. In that time bone density was fine. At that time I smoked ciggis so I felt the pill was not a good option for me.
My weight in that time was probably around 50 something kg. Have you noticed any changes in your appetite/ diet since subs? Have you lost any weight?
Mel, I had serious liver problems also which I think affected my appetite/ weight.
Once I cleared hep c, I put on almost 10 kg, I'm about 56kg now,and my period came back! Now I am regular again. Hormone rests were unremarkable.
As for teeth, I went 13 yrs without any dental work. Priorities! I had braces when younger, so I liked my teeth, I would brush them many times a day. When I did face a couple of dentists, I was told I had gum disease. I now see a periodontist and I no longer have active gum disease. The small forming gaps have tightened up again and I still have all my teeth. For me, I have had NO problems while taking sub. In fact, things have improved while on sub. I religiously use biotene gel or spray before bed which is great for dry mouth. I look forward to hearing from you! X
Oh and I use a retainer on top and bottom while sleeping. I agree. This helps!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:32 pm 

Katipo, good advice about the Biotene spray or gel. I get dry mouth at night so anything will help. I even tried one of those head wraps that are supposed to keep your mouth closed while sleeping. Problem is, it's so uncomfortable wearing it I pull it off in my sleep.

Just 10 years ago I remember being able to sleep just fine with my mouth closed and now it is just the opposite. No one can give me an answer. Such is life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:03 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Some women who have intense menstrual pain (called dysmenorrheal) may vomit as a result. When they vomit, stomach acid covers almost all tooth surfaces causing tooth erosion.You may consult Pembroke Pines Orthodontist and they will treat you.

(link edited out by r62)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

starfishing-plugging-dosing-rectally-t2649-40.html

Here is an old thread about 'plugging.'
Lets you avoid the whole oral, teeth problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:08 pm 

Doc! You just had to bring that old thread back up, didn't you? Aaarrrrgggghh! Way back before I was a moderator I complained to the staff here about taking that subject down. It was a tad un-tasteful IMO. They didn't agree and left it up and obviously I haven't deleted it.

It is an alternative method though.