It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Question about tapering
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For those of you who have tapered....do you believe dropping 4mg at a time is too much of a drop? I was initially on 3 8mg per day (24mg) and dropped one half pill each time I tapered. I did ok on the first two tapers but on the third I struggled which really turned me off to tapering.

(I would read through all the tapering threads but quite frankly I am too lazy right now)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:05 pm 
In my opinion, dropping 4mg at a time when you're on higher doses (greater than 16mg/day) is not generally a problem. However when you get down to 8mg/day or so, you're probably going to feel that big a drop quite a bit more. That was my experience anyway. Dropping dramatically from higher doses does not seem to be problematic for most of us because of the ceiling effect of bupe. When you're on that high a dose you're way over that ceiling therefore dropping dramatically isn't really 'felt.' I did not notice much of any change until I got down to the 4mg/day range. At that point I figured out pretty quick that I had to slow it way down.
Everyone is different, but for the most part, it seems that people find they must allow much more time to stabilize at doses under 4mg/day before continuing to drop below that dose. The body needs time to make the adjustments to the lower doses in order to prevent physical w/d symptoms as well as cravings.
That's my 2 cents for what it's worth! Hope it helps! It's always best to consult with your doctor about reducing your dose at any level. As others have said....dose is just a number and that number matters much less than your recovery status in general. Take it easy on yourself and do all you can to stay stable and avoid relapse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree that a 4mg dose drop is generally not a problem at a higher dose but then again it depends on the frequency you plan to make the reduction. If it is less than a week I would suggest 2mg increments becaue you will get there quick enough. But you will mostly want to listen to what your boby is telling you. If there is a lot of discomfort... you're going to fast.