It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay, so...I tapered and did it really quickly. All in all, I was only on suboxone for about a month or so (long story short, I moved far away from my sub doctor and didn't want to go through the hassle of getting a new one, so I just finished off what I had, which was 14 strips total...right or wrong, that's how it is). I started out with the full 8mg strip, then halved it to 4mg after about 4-5 days, and kept doing that until my last dose which was .25mg for 4 days. My last dose was 6 days ago now, and all in all I've felt pretty well...I get snippy and short of patience sometimes, but it usually doesn't last more than a few hours (and was definitely nothing like the intense fits of rage I used to get when I was fiending for dope), and occasionally get the "irritable/uncomfortable" feeling (don't know how else to describe it...but, again, definitely nowhere near what it used to be when I would withdrawal off H). So, I'm hoping things will continue to go okay...I hear day 10 is often bad, so I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself. Sleeping hasn't been a huge problem, but I do only get around 5.5-6 hours per night (which I realize is a lot better than a lot of people get while going through this). I get random chills here and there, but they're fleeting and pretty rare. Don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I do work out pretty vigorously 4-6 times a week and I eat pretty well most of the time.

Anyway, the one real side effect I'm getting is sneezing fits. I know it's a minor annoyance in comparison to everything else, but it's still a pain. I usually get around 10 a day and have 4-5 sneezes each time. I was wondering if anyone else had to deal with this, and if so, how long does it last, or is it indefinite? I heard Benadryl doesn't really help; is there anything that does help, or is it just something you have to get used to? I would appreciate any input, thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey heather! It sounds like you taper plan worked really well. That's terrific. (Maybe you should be more specific about the days and doses in a different thread for others doing the same thing. Just a thought.) I would say that your vigorous workouts are definitely a positive factor. It is getting your natural endorphins going and that really helps.

I'm still on sub, so I can't give you any insight into the whole sneezing thing. I do know that the acute withdrawals usually hit at about 3-4 days and you jumped - more like stepped - from such a low dose, that it's my opinion that you won't experience anything too horrible.

GREAT JOB!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Heather,

Good to hear from you again!!

You sound like you're doing really well at day 6, that's great to hear. Every symptom you mentioned is normal for opiate wd. An interesting symptom of wd that seems to only happen to people who were on Suboxone is the sneezing fits. They are bothersome, aren't they? Ummm, I'm trying to remember how long mine lasted......I'm gonna guess they stuck around for a good few weeks, I know they eventually went away, I just can't remember exactly when they went away?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes...what is up with the sneezing...i too sneeze like a bajillion times a day...don't get me wrong, i enjoy a good sneeze as much as the next guy, but do i really need to sneeze eight times in a row, 14 times a day...its unbelievable. I can only imagine what i look like trying to drive and sneeze at the same time...But like you said, if thats the worst symptom you've got going on right now... grab some tissues, sneeze your head off, and be happy you can play it off as allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:04 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Good for you for working out.. thats what made me get thru the hard parts, I did vigourous workouts during my taper and it made all the difference in the world for me!!

Good Job!!

Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, all, for the nice replies. :) Still going okay...sleep a little disrupted; fell asleep about 11pm last night and woke up wide awake at 2:30am, then was up for about another hour or hour and a half...managed to fall back asleep, thankfully, but I hate waking up like that and having a hard time falling back asleep. To me, that's the most annoying part, even though it's technically "normal". Still sneezing, of course, but sounds like that's to be expected...seven days thus far; hopefully things will continue to go okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, had my first severe bout of sleeplessness two nights ago...mind was racing and I couldn't settle down. It especially sucked because I had to be up by 5am for work. Thankfully, I did sleep fairly well last night, probably partially from being tired due to not sleeping the previous night. Still sneezing like crazy, though; if anything, it's getting more frequent. I won't miss that when it's over. No other real discomforts...anyway, I've wasted a lot of time this morning; time to go work out. It's been...I think eight days now, so here's hoping this will pretty much be it.

Side note: One major plus about being sober is that the possibility of having to take a drug test for a job is no longer a deterrent...sounds stupid, but for years there was no way I would've passed one of those. Glad that's over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know how bothersome the interrupted sleep is, actually bothersome doesn't do it justice.....interrupted sleep SUCKS!!!

Here's a couple of things I learned to help get me back to sleep fairly quickly. First off, don't lay there in bed. If you wake up and it's one of those, "I'm wide awake" ones, get up and watch TV or something. Next, I would grab a snack. A few potato chips, some Reese's PeanutButter cups (I know, chocolate at bedtime isn't a good idea, but it works for me). By doing those two simple things, I could usually get back to bed and sleeping within 15-20 minutes or so.

Hey, along with the sneezing, did you guys ever get that weird smell that seemed to be stuck in your nose?? I know a few of us who experienced the weird smell thing, just thought I'd bring it up and see if you guys got it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Interesting...I will try that with the snack. I do just lay there in bed when I wake up.

I would always get "the smell" when I was sick! It drove me crazy. I was never sure if I was smelling myself (because I would obviously have a fever and pour sweat, and you know how people smell when they're sick), but it was pretty constant even if I had just bathed. Thankfully, I haven't experienced that in a while.