It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Trebuchet] Hello Im new to the fourm and glad that I found it. I have a serious problem, I recently lost my job and fell in to a DEEP depression, my dad and his wonderful evil wife decided that my husband and I could not care for our children and got a EMERGENCY PROTECTION COUSTDY ORDER and my children were taken ut f the home, we go back to court this week. My husband and I are both in a subxone clinic trying to improve our lives. Well my dad thinks that suboxone is like methadone because his friends and his wife say so, I tried t explain to him how it helps, but since he overcame Alcoholism, he thinks opiate addiction is easier and if he can do it anyone can do it ( hes a ex marine, vietnam era) Well he told me that there was NO WAY that I was getting my kids back because im still on drugs, he said the judge will not give back the kids to parents on that kind of medication. But my Social worker told us to stay in the clinic so we wont relapse and that by going to get helps shows that we are trying. We live in a small town and my dad is known and has "money" so he thinks if he pays his lawyer enough that they could win this case. I thought that as lng s you have a legal perscription and following all the rules that it would look good and your children can be back in the home... CAN SOME ONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!! [/font]

Mary Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WOW,,,,, Im soooooo sorry your going thru this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, definitely KEEP going to the suboxone clinic, your on the RIGHT TRACK THERE!!!!

and, what I would do, even though I've never been in your shoes, I've often thought If I ever were,

I'd get help from these folks, here

The National Alliance of Advocates
for Buprenorphine Treatment

link
http://www.naabt.org/

thier 800 number is 1-866-956-9204
Here's their email and FAX number "contact us" page link

https://www.naabt.org/contact_us.cfm

I think they could help you becase this is at the bottom of the page!!
""The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine Treatment is a non-profit organization charged with the mission to:
• Educate the public about the disease of opioid addiction and the buprenorphine treatment option.
• Help reduce the stigma and discrimination associated with patients with addiction disorders.
• Serve as a conduit connecting patients in need of treatment to qualified treatment providers
.""

they also have a TON of "free printed materials" like brochures and stuff, you can also PRINT the information,
yourself,
that's what I did to SHOW my family, suboxone was not methadone first of all, and HOW it works,
how it BLOCKS other opiates,,,, and so on.

I do wish you the BEST OF LUCK here, and I hope they can do something for you!!!
Please keep us updated.... we do get these questions every so often, but as far as I can remember,
it usualy works in the PATIENTS favor, when they DO have a perscription, sometimes even when they
DO NOT, so I don't know WHY it wouldn't work out IN your favor!!!
I mean, your doing BETTER,the best thing you can do!!! why can't they see that, right?

Good Luck with everything, I hope you can have your family back together REAL SOON :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:02 am 

I am SO sorry you are going through this! It's such a slap in the face to be faced with the removal of your children when what you really need is some help! You are doing exactly the right thing by improving your life on suboxone. If the judge is any kind of fair he or she will see that you are doing just that!

I can't imagine my father ever doing something like this without trying to talk to me about it first! I'm sure that he wants what is best for his grandkids, but usually that means helping the family, not dividing it!

I wish I had some legal advice for you, but I at least want to wish you luck and tell you that you are doing the right thing. I hope your family is back together soon!

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have experience working in Child protection court, but every state is different. What I CAN tell you is that your father does not have the authority to get an emergency custody order. He had to go to a state agency and produce some evidence that your children were in danger, and then the state had to get a judge to sign that order for them to remove the children. You should have been served papers telling what the specific reasons were that the children were removed. The next step is that the state is supposed to give you and your husband the opportunity to resolve whatever the issues are.
As far as the Suboxone goes I have no experience with that being brought up in CPS court, BUT usually if parents can demonstrate that they are in a recovery program, especially if there is a record of clean urines, etc. that works in the parents favor.
Your father should not even be a legal party to the case. But if he has already succeeded in convincing the state to remove the children, he may now try to intervene as a family member willing to take custody. Is this what he is trying to do? At least in the state I worked in, if he has neither physical custody or legal guardianship he shouldn't even be allowed in the courtroom.
I hope this helps. This is an awful situation - but make sure you keep on top of your recovery. And if the clinical depression was the issue, please take whatever steps are necessary to deal with that. If you can show that you are taking steps to deal with your mental health and addiction issues, that will go a long way in your favor when dealing with the court.
Good luck,
Lilly

PS. do not AGREE to let the state have custody of the children for 3-6 months or whatever. Oftentimes court appointed attorneys will advise the parents to just agree to the removal because it makes things easier for them and for the court. Unless you honestly feel that you cannot care for your children, or that you will lose if there is a trial, DO NOT AGREE TO IT! Don't let your father intimidate you. You have LEGAL rights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for all the Info.... really great advice and to Lillyval i sent you a PM about my whole situation since you have experience with CPS thanks again and will let you all know the outcome