Does Suboxone make you constipated?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sometimes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I'm thinking about switching to suboxone, but I'm worried about how my stomach might react.

Before being put on opiates a few years ago, I had debilitating stomach issues. Chronic D, to be exact. Doctors tried everything and nothing even helped a little.

The second I was put on Percocet, it stopped like magic. I'm now on that and morphine, but want to get off everything b/c of tolerance issues & being in a state on constant w/d.

My only concern with getting off everything is my stomach going back to the way it was. I couldn't leave the bathroom let alone leave the house before, I felt like a prisoner.

I want to go back to school and eventually get a job, but I can't being on this medicine, and I certainly can't if my stomach goes back to the way it was.

I've considered both methadone & suboxone. I know methadone would keep my stomach ok, but having to go there every day, D-testing, and all the 'politics' as my husband puts it...some ppl need all that, but I don't. I just need something (anything) that will keep me from continuing to be in constant w/d, while keeping my stomach from losing its mind again.

Does sub work the same way regular opiates do for your stomach?
(Does it make most ppl constipated?)-cause that's what I need it to do.

Does it actually contain any opiates?

*Sorry for all the TMI* :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Constipation is the most common side effect that I hear about. You wrote that you are currently dependent on opioids, and you would like to get away from the constant w/d... I would expect buprenorphine to work very well for your condition. You didn't really say--- were you put on opioids JUST for your diarrhea?? That would be a very unusual reason...

But most people on buprenorphine feel MUCH more 'level' than they did on other opioids, including methadone or oxycodone. The half-life is much longer, and so the effect lasts for days, not hours. And yes-- methadone would require much greater monitoring, at least during the first 3-12 months.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here is my experience with GI issues and Suboxone. Four people that have had gastric bypass, three with the older Roux n Y. Common is dumping syndrome, frequent loose stools after eating. Much improved after starting Suboxone. Crohn's disease - 1. He went from 20 bloody stools a day to 6-8 mucosy, not bloody stools a day. He is ecstatic, particularly since they have postponed removing part of his colon for now. These are people with opiate addiction, the condition that I am treating, but found relief for something else.
So yes, Suboxone may ease your GI problems, but it is not a treatment. It is an side effect (useful) of Suboxone for addiction.