It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have a great doctor now, who, after reading some of Dr. Junig's writings about the subject, decided to rx me the mono product buprenorphine without naloxone. I don't refill until the 14th, so I'll be taking what's left of my films until then. my question is, is there really a difference? I've read and heard so many different things. some say they thought it was stronger than the films, some said certain brands leftthem feeling wd between doses, and some have told me theres no difference in how it made them feel at all. I'm just a bit nervous about the switch,I guess, since I know how well the films have worked for me,I just couldn't continue to afford them AND the necessary therapy much longer. I was fortunate enough to make exactly enough money each month basically to pay for all of it, but it didn't leave much left over for ANYTHING else, like, gas, food, kids stuff, etc, lol. SO, I'm happy about the six hundred or so bucks I'll save every month just wondering if any of you guys have switched and have some first hand info for me. I'm ready to hear it ALL... the good, the bad, the whatever, just wanna hear something! I have read a bunch of stuff, but wanted to bring it here for you guys to try to answer.
is there really a difference?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

From everything I have gathered and experienced with other generic drugs I'll try to answer, although this is my opinion.

There will be some slight difference, but just slightly. It's a different company making a different formulation. Just like the difference in a dish from two different restaurants. Being a drug company and regulated by the FDA, they are supposed to have the same concentrations and ratios of the active ingredient.

I don't think they have a generic film yet, so that means you would be on the pill. This IS different from the strip, in my opinion, on ease of dosing. When you start to break the pill it, again in my opinion, harder to get even portions.

If you have ever had the pill form of Suboxone, then I would bet that the generic would have a different taste as well. But again, they will have the same amount of active ingredient and should work almost the same if not the same. I personally feel that any difference you would feel would either be 1) a placebo effect 2) problems with you getting used to dosing with the pill over the film (ie it not dissolving the same, therefor affecting absorption).

All in all though, you will adjust just fine, at least until you really need to break down and get some specific dose other than the 8MG. Breaking in half isn't so bad, but once you try to break the pill in more than half, the doses get a bit dicey. The FDA wouldn't allow something that didn't work very similar out on the market, nor would Doctors prescribe for long if it it didn't work as advertised as many patients would complain.

I have read in many places that there are many who love (if only for the cheaper pricing) the generic bup.

I wish you all the luck in your switch! let us know how you do with it when you do finally make the switch.

Much Love,

John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Many people like Subutex better. Ive not heard of anyone say it was worse or not as good as Suboxone film. Generic subutex has bn around for awhile now and yes the best part is the cheaper price. Your very lucky to have a dr who cares about money issuses. Wish mine did and others in my clinic. We all could use a break. So, ya getting used to a pill will be your only real change. Taste is very plain really, and without the neloxone you could possably feel different but not worse or bad..you will be fine imo....raz..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ill add my two cents because I have been on suboxone brand name tablets, the films and finally for the majority of my treatment (3.5 years) I have taken the 8mg roxanne generic subutex. That said subutex is by far my favorite of them and I actually take LESS of the generic than I did of brand name suboxone tablets or film. No more daily headaches and stomach aches/pains and there is absolutely no difference in potency for me. One thing I do want to mention about roxanne subtutex brand is that no matter how long you let is sit under your tongue and "help it along" trying to get it to dissolve there will always be a very small amount of grit left that won't dissolve but it effects nothing concerning absorbtion and you shouldn't worry about it. And the best part is with the coupon from goodrx.com they are only about 2.50$ per 8mg tab. Don't worry about switching you will be fine and Im sure like most people will end up liking subutex even more than the sub films.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank y'all so much for the replies. I was really looking for perspective of those who had tried both and that's what I got so I feel much better about the switch. funny thing, my local pharmacy's price is actually cheaper than the coupon that goodrx had. how bout that! :-) I'm not sure what brand of generic subutex I'll get though. is there a difference in brands, as far as how well they work? I've heard there is, but idk? how many brands of it are there anyway? particular ones I should ask for?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Again, due to tight regulation, I would think they all have to work very similar, but I have not herd of a brand that may taste better than another. Maybe someone else could speak to that.

As far as brands of generic, the only new generic that will becoming out on the market that I can name is made by Actavis.. There are several brands of generic though... Hold on, let me Google search a few....
Looks like Amneal makes the other.

Actavis has also filed to the FDA to be allowed to make films, but there is an appeal by RB which puts a hold on FDA approval for up to 30 months.

Either way I think the only thing you need to worry about is which one tastes best as it look like they are all going to work just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

There are now tbree generic bupe/nal tabets...you are getting Subutex witch is plain bupe. I understand two phar co's make subutex. R B stopped after tbere patten expired a few years back..ive tryed the larger subtex made by roxanne. Also Teva makes a very small tablet. Ive never taken this one.however ive read on here that most like the larger tablet..so....hey either way your on great shape...congrats..raz...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have taken all as well, the only generic I didn't like were the tiny ones. They dissolve quicker but it's hard to break for tapering. I also felt they wore off quicker. The teva and Roxane are fine, but IMO the small ones really didn't hold well, it'd been a while so I can't remember the name. Lucky for me the pharmacist orders Roxane. There was a thread on here somewhere about the small ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, that was just the kind of info I was looking for. I thought I also read on here somewhere that the little ones some said didn't seem to last as long, but couldn't find the thread when I was looking for it. I'm sure it'll be just fine and I'm probably a bit nervous about nothing.