It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: question about pain
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Been on suboxon for a week tomorrow. Everything going good exept for my pain. I have 2 bulging disk,degenerative disc disease and arthritis in the neck. Being off dope and pills my pain is alot worse. Any suggestion for pain. I do my stretches and walk to stay as loose as possible. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Jeff

Post subject: Re: question about pain
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:23 pm 

Hi Jeff! Welcome to the forum!

Can I ask in relation to your question, how much suboxone are you on and how do you take your dose? I ask this because sub does have analgesic properties, but you have to dose carefully to get the full effect of the pain relief. If you have chronic pain it seems best to break your dose up into 4-6 dosing times every 4-6 hours.

NSAIDS such as ibuprofen and naproxen are often helpful in fighting back pain. There are some prescription medications that specifically deal with nerve pain. One such med is neurontin. I would talk to your suboxone doctor about ways to keep your chronic pain at bay.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Suboxone might, or might now, relieve enough of your pain.... but realize that it is getting harder and harder to find a doctor who will use opioid pain meds to treat pain for a long time. With Suboxone, you have the problem of tolerance taking away the pain fighting effects... but then again, you get tolerance to EVERY pain medication available. If you are going to be tolerant to an opioid, I would favor buprenorphine--because then you won't have to deal with getting sick every time the blood level drops.

There are other receptors that buprenorphine acts at, besides mu receptors, that may have analgesic effects. We will know much more about those possibilities over the next year or two, thanks to some new tools for separating and examining the effects of buprenorphine at specific receptors.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jeff, congratulations on getting off the pain killers!! I'm sorry to hear your a chronic pain sufferer, I know exactly what your going through man!!! I had a work injury, broke my back ruptured some discs and bulged like 6 discs along with neck issues...I have severe nerve damage in my right leg and it sux to say the least...I've had two surgeries to try and correct it but that didn't work....along with my suboxone 8 mg 3 times per day I take neurontin 800 mg 4 times per day, naproxen sodium 440 mg every 8 hours, I apply bio freeze gel to my back, neck and legs 4 times a day and at night I stretch then lay on a heat pad...4 times a year I usually get epidural injections which may or may not help u but if u have insurance it's worth a shot, they help me for about a month...good luck in your recovery man, I hope this helps you!!