It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:03 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I read on some news website about a new method of administering Subs that involves an implant. I am wondering if anyone here can shed some light, or give some first hand account? My partner is prescribed subs and probably will be on them for life. I am trying to stay OFF them (was off for 3 yrs. then recently relapsed and am jumping again tomorrow), and am thinking if my partner can get on the implant, then the strips will not be around the house and not be a temptation for me anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Becca,

Hope these links are of interest.

From the company that makes them:
https://braeburnpharmaceuticals.com/bra ... ependence/
"Probuphine will be priced at $4,950 for a six-month course of treatment which is significantly lower than a six month-course of other long-acting medications for opioid dependence". Seems pricey!! Wow...

First hand account w implant:
not-exactly-new-but-t12452.html

First hand account w depot*:
the-era-depot-and-implant-buprenorphine-t12242.html

buprenorphine-month-implant-coming-soon-t12231.html

* Fyi, describes a depot which is different from the implant method. A depot is an injection that deposits a drug in a localized mass, called a depot, from which it is gradually absorbed by surrounding tissue. Does anyone know if the depot is FDA approved yet? P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Does anyone know if the depot is FDA approved yet? P

The Depot form has not been approved yet.
In order to use the implant the provider must attend a special training. The trainings just started this month around the country. I was going to, but I would have to arrange for a surgeon to actually do the implant. The company did not have information yet about whether the implant would count towards a doctors 100 patient limit or not. (As of mid May)
Considering the hoops we are jumping through for prior authorization recently I really don't see this as taking off any time soon.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:14 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks so much for the information. Hopefully the implants and the depot method will some day be readily available options.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was also scheduled to go to the training-- just this weekend. I cancelled because of other things on my schedule, combined with other issues. The implant must be purchased by the doctor in advance, and then the cost is collected from the patient or patient's insurer. I don't plan on buying anything for $5000 and then waiting and hoping that the insurer will pay for it. Many of my patients are either uninsured, or have high-deductible plans-- and I suspect few would be interested in paying 5K twice per year.

The cost issue irritates me btw.... and shows why medical costs never move down. In markets truly-controlled by competition, technology pushes prices lower. Look at TV sets over the past 30 years-- or computer power or storage per dollar cost. But with healthcare, Abilify isn't priced with any relation to the cost of making the product. Instead, the sales force says 'it keeps people from being admitted to the hospital, and compared to THAT, it is cheaper'. With Probuphine they price it compared to the maximum cost of the priciest product, Suboxone Film at full retail. Realize that Probuphine is only intended for 'stable' patients, because it yields a lower blood level of buprenorphine than taking a full dose of Suboxone each day... and a stable, uninsured patient could get the same effect from 8 mg of generic buprenorphine per day, which costs about $70 per month in my area-- or $420 every six months.

If some idiot at Medicaid decides to cover it over fear of diversion, I'll reconsider the training. Hopefully they will do some research about how few people are harmed by buprenorphine, and save the tax dollars for something else.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Well said. I was trained, and am now certified. But I do not envision doing any implants. Let's say that health insurers reimburse $150 for the procedure. I would have to do 33 procedures to indemnify myself against one no-show. That is a terrible deal. To be fair, the product could be applied to the next patient and there is a return process. Even so, who in the right mind would purchase a product for $5,000 in order to make $150? That doesn't even address the question of what insurance in their right mind would spend $5,000 every six months when they only need to spend 1/10 that amount?