It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello! This is my first post here. I am actually writing on behalf of my husband we have been searching for a place like this for days due to a pretty pressing issue. We have both been on suboxone for almost 3 years. We have never used or had any alcohol during this period and have really built a great life for ourselves. We have a little girl, great jobs and just bought a new home. I am not stating this for any other reason than it needing be known for where I am going with this. And I never think a good success story hurt anyone to hear!
My husband works for a very large company and has been making some big moves within it in the last year and a half. He has always had his eye on a much better position that he would ultimately retire from some day. It would change our life dramatically and would give him a job he really loves. With that said, he just recently found out that in this particular branch of the company they do test for suboxone. He is ultimately concerned that he will not get the job because of it, regardless of his prescription. I don't know how true or untrue it is but it is cause for concern bc of the field he would be in.
He feels that his doctor has taken him down way too slowly. He started at 1- 8 mg pill/tablet almost 3 years ago and is only down to 1 - 2 mg film, I don't know if that's normal or slow. But he only takes .5 mg of it a day. He cuts his 2 mg film into 4 pieces and takes one piece a day. My question is basically, is that even enough to show up? He is 6 ft. 1 in tall and weighs 155 lbs. he may have the fastest metabolism of anyone I know. He isn't trying to "get away" with anything so this is hard on him. After working so hard to get where he is and being down so low on his dose its very hard to accept that this could happen. I don't know if he should turn down the position and try later or if he will be okay? Please let me know if anyone has any insight. I am also going to post this on the Q&A because I really need an answer soon and don't want to chance being overlooked.
On a side note I think that its great to have a discussion board like this for Suboxone users. Its very difficult to find real answers and support like I have read here. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wish I could help, but I don't know the answer to this. Hopefully someone will come along with something helpful. It sounds like a tricky situation and it saddens me that your husband is even dealing with the stress of it. Seems unfair. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:50 pm 

Hi lamarie33,

This just doesn't sound legal to me. We have several members here who only got onto Suboxone to get off of heavy duty pain medications. Yes it is prescribed for opiate addiction but it has other qualities that are valuable.

Are you sure it's not just a rumor going around about them testing for Sub? I would say put in for the job and if he's denied the promotion just because of using medication prescribed from his doctor, he has a decent lawsuit on his hands. Maybe a call to a lawyer first would be a good idea.

Amazing what this world has come to. If you were broke because of being laid off, it ruins your credit score. Now you apply for a job and they check your credit score and deny you the job. It's a vicious circle. So now they are checking medical records for LEGAL drugs?

I am so sorry you two have to deal with this. Once again, I say talk to a lawyer.

And Welcome here!

rule

P.S. I deleted your other post. You only need one section for the same question.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you both I appreciate it and agree. I will keep you updated, sorry about the 2 posts!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think (?) the reason Suboxone would be tested for in certain positions is because it's a narcotic.

If you're wondering if he'll pass a drug test, order one online and have him test himself. I did it when I quit Suboxone. I wanted to know when Suboxone cleared my system. The test strips are only $1 or $2 each. Just google search Bupe test strip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Urg, I tried to upload a Pamphlet I have from the Department of Health entitled "Know Your Rights; Medication-Assisted Treatments," It's extremely long and has a lot of facts and laws related to discrimination based on involvement with methadone and buprenorphine (Suboxone/Subutex) but it is saying I can't attach .pdf files. It was part of a Recovery Month 2013 presentation by the DHS.

Essentially, these days, employees on methadone and buprenorphine are protected by federal non-discrimination laws. Specifically, in this case the Workforce Investment Act (WIA). Employers can test for any substances, they can ask for a letter verifying the legitimate prescription of the substance, but they can not refuse employment on the basis of involvement with either methadone or buprenorphine legally if they are prescribed by a physician and used per orders. Employers also can not ask WHY (as in, for what medical condition...Addiction IS a medical condition) you are taking a substance legally. As further mentioned here already, both methadone and buprenorphine have uses outside opioid replacement therapy; though Suboxone specifically would be off-label uses. Don't feel obligated to tell any more than "Yes, I have a valid prescription for that medication." if it comes up, and have a Dr's note..Ask him not to include the reason you are taking it, only that it is a valid prescription of yours.

If anyone wants the PDF and has a way for me to be able to get it to them please let me know or message me. It's really an essential read in my view.

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's great information Twin, thanks for posting it.

I hope that the OP sees this and can get that PDF file from you!

Q

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Twin, thanks a lot for that info. You inspired me to find it. I think this is what you're referring to. It's a link to the PDF, so should work and should be able to easily enough download it from there. I'm saving a copy on my ipad, an computer for future reference. 21 pages so one may or may not want to print it all.

http://partnersforrecovery.samhsa.gov/docs/know_your_rights_brochure_0110.pdf