It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Question about Induction
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:00 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been taking suboxone for a while now, illegally. I am ready to start the new year off right and see a doctor. My question is, what will the doctor say when I tell him I already have subs in my system, which I have been taking without a scrip? Do they test for subs in induction? Thanks so much!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Obviously there's no way to say how any one doctor would react. You may very well be drug tested and they may include suboxone in that. But because you've been on it, you likely will not need a "regular" induction. That is, if you've been taking the same dose every day. I'd say start out your relationship with this doctor on the right foot by telling him/her about using sub off the streets. You're certainly not the first person to do that, and then decide to go legit with a doctor. BTW, congratulations to you for taking this step! It could be said that this represents a deeper level of commitment to your remission/recovery. I hope you first appointment goes well. Good luck - come back and let us know how it goes.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I strongly agree with the advice from Hatmaker. I most certainly would not lie to your new doc. To be honest with you, he/she likely won't care much one way or the other. I mean, other patients that they are treating came to them after buying heroin on the streets and shooting it up in public restrooms. Others were buying Oxycontin on the street. You happen to have been buying Suboxone on the street. At the end of the day, to the average doc, it really won't matter. It's sort of like seeing their patients naked - it's just another day at the office. Now if they see their Suboxone patients naked, that's a whole other story. :) You might actually be able to make the case that your doc will be more impressed that you are already starting recovery on your own, even though its not the best way, than if you were still actively using.

I also would not hide the fact that you are already on Suboxone. Just tell your doc the actual story. Tell him/her you have been on Suboxone for X months (or whatever it is) and tell them what dose you are stable at. If/when they ask who your doctor is, just say "I really don't have one." and that will be that.

I think you'll find that your story will not shock or even surprise your doctor in the least. I am very glad that you're getting into an official Suboxone program. You likely will see a difference in your recovery now that you won't have to worry about getting your next dose. It will be very nice to be on the same dose everyday and have a 30 day supply in the cabinet. Please let us know how it all goes for you.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:29 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

thanks so much to both of you for answering back!! I have been pretty nervous about this but I posted an application on NAABT.ORG and a female psychiatrist emailed back. I did not think of seeing a psychiatrist but I am excited about it and will call her office tomorrow and make an appointment for asap...It will be so great to be doing this the right way- I have been on subs for quite a few months but I know this is what I should be doing- and I have insurance now! Thanks again so very much!! Will keep you updated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:18 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hey just wanted to update that I called a doc and told the nurse my situation and they said it was fine and it will actually make things easier because I won't have to do the whole induction since I have already been taking them!! I see the doc on Friday, I can't tell you how excited I am to do this right!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:51 pm 
Hey!! I tested positive for suboxone at my first appointment. He ask me and i just told him the truth. I told him i had been taking it to get through the couple days i had to wait until i could get an appointment, which was true. I had to wait 6 long days before i could get an appointment so i got a few subs from a friend and took them just to get me through the 6 days. He ask me about the sub being in my system because it showed up and when i told him why i had been taking it, he said it wasnt that uncommon. Doctors reactions are definitely gonna vary. I would for sure be honest and start off on the right foot with him/her. Hope this helps!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:11 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks so much for your reply Lifesaver, SO good to know!! The nurse at the doc's office I am going to said she had heard it a lot too, so I'm feeling really good about it! Excited, and ready!!

Post subject: Just an update
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:38 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I just wanted to do a quick update to let everyone know how my doctor's appointment went. I was SO nervous when I went in Friday morning, not really because of the suboxone...I just have a horrible anxiety when it comes to doctors offices....I had a pretty hard time with my second pregnancy and was sent to the hospital several times when I just went in for a check up. Basically, I am always worried something is going to be wrong with me...my blood pressure was good, even though I felt like I was going to pass out from the anxiety and I felt my heart pounding! It had been a while sine I had been to the doc. I told the nurse and doc my situation and that I had already been on subs for a month or so off the street and he just talked to me a while about how he runs the program and pretty much told me stuff I already knew from research and then I did a drug test and a blood test and he wrote me a scrip for 16 mg a day. I am so nervous about my blood test, just always think something is going to be wrong...The sub is working great and I am feeling so happy and proud to have taken this important step in my life!! I go back in 2 weeks and he said he would call if anything was up with my blood test..Which I pray to God will be ok...I am trying to stay positive and wanted to ask if anyone else has these hypochondriac tendencies and what are good ways to deal with them? I know getting a clean blood test will put my worried mind at ease!!

Also wanted to ask if anyone else has experience with the Here 2 Help program? I am supposed to call and get a coach and just wondering what to expect!! Thanks so much for reading my rant!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

YAY! I'm so glad it's going well! So is your doctor telling you to do the Here to Help program? They have a big website with some meaningless stuff, some helpful stuff. I've never gotten a coach myself, so I can't talk about that. I can't hurt, I suppose. Other people probably have more experience with them than I.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the hypochondriac tendencies, except to recommend a therapist, perhaps one who specializes in phobias. They should be able to help a lot.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:55 pm 
Hey mihonoja!!

I've dealt with the here to help coach mess. I call it mess because the people said they were gonna call me at a certain time on a particular night, then ended up calling a week and a half later right at like 9p.m. I go to sleep between 8 and 9 so for me, that was just too late. In my opinion you just dont call people that late, especially a business or whatever you call them. I found them to be very useless. Pretty much i missed them the first night they called because i was asleep. They then called a second time leaving a message saying they would not be able to provide service to me because they could not get in contact with me. They tried one damn time only to tell me on their 2nd call, they could not be of service to me. What a crock of shit!! I just dont quite understand that whole mess. Im sorry if this is discouraging to you. Im only giving you "my" experience in honesty. I hope this helps!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 pm 
Im sorry i completely forgot, congragulations and im so happy for you that things went well with your induction!! That is awesome!! I wish you nothing but the best and hope you will share your experience with us!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:40 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

thanks so much y'all!!

lifesaver- my husband is on subs too and was inducted a little over a year ago. He had the same exact problem with the here to help!! They did not call when they were supposed to and it was a MESS, no better words to describe it!! I'm going to try it, not expecting much out of it because number 1 from all the bad stuff I have heard and my husband went through and 2-I'm not exactly sure how a phone call every week or 2 is going to help me too much! We will see though, will keep you updated!