It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I usually pick up my subutex refill two days early. I called about 17 days ahead to see exactly when it was due so I could schedule my next appointment accordingly.I was told it was due in 17 days and I could pick it up a few days before it was due and explained I was trying to make my next appointment blah blah..
I had an emergency and had to call back that next week bc I needed tI go out of town and wouldn't be able to get my script until the week after it was due. I was told I would have to call my doctor to get approval and of not then I could pick it up the day it was due. my doctor did not approve of course and I have to pick it up so my question is this... Do I call a few days before and see if I can get it or wai until the exact day it's due? I spoke to two different women so I was told two different things. I don't want them to think I am drug seeking bc I have never had any issues with the pharmacy or doctor over the almost three years I have been loyal to them. Never tried to to pick up earlier than the norm before either so I'm not sure what to do bc you know how pharmacist can get.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:26 am 

I guess I would probably wait until the day it is due. I have extra so I never stress over a couple of days. Can a family member pick it up on the correct day if you're out of town?

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have tried for 3 years to get into treatment and I finally got appointment. The thing is I drive from WV to PA and now no pharmacy will fill subutex prescription from PA down to WV. They say not accepting new patients, have to be pregnant woman, you have to live in area, we don't carry those, don't accept out of state prescription or there is a limit to how many prescription of subutexs we fill and we have reached it. So pretty much I wasted my time and money. No wonder people give up or don't even try. I have 2 kids and work everyday I need these to be normal and to continue to be clean . What can I do.? It's not just me. It's people all over the area from WV to pa. I thought pharmacies could order prescription they didn't have on hand. I didn't know they could refuse business, lie or just plain say no I can't fill that.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see more and more of that type of nonsense, and I encourage to do anything you can do to report it, draw attention to it, etc. If you are doing everything correctly, call the local TV stations and tell them you are just trying to do the right things--- and THIS happened. Realize, of course, that media will be more sympathetic to some people than others--- so only go that route if you are sure you have no skeletons in your closet that they can report about. Or right to the pharmacy board in your state. Or to your state representative. I keep thinking that if enough people complain, something good will happen....

I've had problems with pharmacies filling scripts across state lines because of the state drug databases that most states now have. Pharmacists will say that they can't report what a doc is prescribing, if it comes from a different state-- and I can see their point.

Would it be possible for you to travel to the state where you received care, and pick up the meds there?

The whole motivation for this forum, and my blog, was the nonsense over buprenorphine that I noticed 7 years ago. It seems almost worse now than it was back then!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:14 am 

My clinic is in Kentucky and I live in Tennessee. I go to a pharmacy in Kentucky. It can be a pain in the butt sometimes if it's a time I'm having to wait around for the clinic to call my medicine in instead of having a script, but I'm willing to go through whatever hassle I have to because it's worth it.

It sounds so incredibly unfair to finally get an appointment and finally get a script and then have a pharmacy refuse to fill it. Maybe ur Dr has a specific pharmacy that they recommend and send their patients to, u should ask them, it'd be worth asking. I'm using the exact pharmacy that my clinic recommended and four years later I'm still using it. There's gotta be a solution for ya cause u gotta be able to fill ur meds. I'm sorry ur having to go through this! I hope it works out for u.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sadly, this is still the case here in PA. I'm new here, but posted for the first time a few hours ago. My husband is having this exact issue. Finally got into a Dr. 3hrs away, in Pittsburgh. Paid $250 + gas and actually got a prescription. The money isn't the issue but was a complete waste so far. He Hasn't been able to fill it anywhere, from Pitt, to back and another hour beyond our home town. It's been almost a week and he's about to give up. The pharmacists treat you so poorly that you really don't even want to try anywhere else. We've continued day after day, but it's so discouraging, and I can see a little piece of him that wanted to do this, die, with each new attempt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:32 am 

That's awful! I don't understand that, what exactly are they saying is the problem?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jenn Jenn,
They're "saying" either they don't carry it, they can't accept any new patients, or that he should not need Subutex unless he is a pregnant female or has a serious allergy to suboxone... We really didn't even realize it was for Subutex until we left the Dr's office. Either would have been fine but I'm starting to wonder if it'd be any easier anyways?! I just don't understand how a pharmacist can decide to turn down something you clearly need being it was written by a medical professional.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also, I see that you're a moderator. I made an original post with this concern when I found and joined this lastnight. Somehow it got posted in the side effects topic and I'm not sure how to put it into the Damn dr. Pharmacist stories. If u could take care of that it'd be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32 pm 

Hey Nikki,
It is my understanding that pharmacies and there employees can and do limit or will not fill for new customers. There not drs, they dont have to take your script or help you. Not like a dr would. It is there right to refuse. It isn't Just a Buprenorphine issue although we are stigmatized time and again.

My wife had a hard time getting a new pharmacy for her pain meds after her old one cut back on filling pain med scripts. Remember, pharmacies are a business not a medical office. They can do as they please for a number of reasons.

What im hopeful for is that you guys have started looking into contacting the dr for a new suboxone script. Starting over can suck, but he needs to get on this soon as you said earlier. Im really sorry this is such a hassle now that he want s to make a change.

Seems like in many ways it is an up hill mission to get this type of treatment in some parts of this country.
Time to take action or nothing will move forward, and i know you this.
The only other thing yoh can do is call every pharmacy within 100 miles and see if they are willing to take you on.
Dont give up now. :)

Razor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, Razor!
I just noticed Dr. J, had replied to my original post about the situation. After reading, I realized something. Many pharmacies we walked in, but a lot of them I just called, being we were not familiar with a lot of the areas covered. When calling I'd say, "My husband has a prescription for 56 of the 8mg SUBUTEX, would you be able to fill these there?" Needless to say, Subutex, is no longer. Dr. J said its been 5yrs. Is that why I'm being told they don't carry it? Because I'm not asking for bupe, I was actually saying, Subutex??? Not sure?! But it's given us a new hope! Tomorrow is another day! I've also heard you shouldn't try calling and asking at all though?? That they have no idea if you're really a patient with a need, or someone possibly planning a robbery, or who knows what else?! I do think it's better to walk in, but it's getting insane the gas and driving we've been doing. Do you think it's ok to call some of the ones I've called previously and refer to it as bupe?! Thanks again!