It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Question about drug use
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was wondering if you're more at risk for relapse if you use a substance intravenously as opposed to intranasally or nasally idk the term lol. Random thought that ive been googling but cant find any opinions/ answers anywheree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That is a good question.. I would say though that if you are an addict, you are at risk of relapse everyday, if you are'nt doing anything to treat your illness. I am pretty sure that the route of injesting the drugs is just a way to increase the rate of which you feel the effects of the drugs, for instance swallowing a pill will take longer to feel than snorting it, snorting will take longer than injecting, and injecting will take longer than smoking it.

I know this isnt really answering your question, but obviously my need for instant gratification got bigger once i started injecting. It's the behaviours we need to change. I can say though that my triggers for using thoughts have increased because of all the shit, that comes along with it. Ex: I am triggered by seeing my veins now which is unavoidable. I know every good bathroom, and parking lot on this side of the city, and everytime well almost everytime i am around those places the thoughts come flooding in. i am triggerd by belts.

so i guess after saying that, maybe since my dsease progressed a lttle further than someone elses, the compulsion may be a little greater, but as for risk, we are all at risk everyday and we need to remember that.

I would also add this. When i started using pain pills, i would use denial about my problem because i wasnt as bad as the next guy, who was using H. so being in denial i was never going to concede to myself that i was an addict. therefore I was setting myself up for certain relapse. However years later after I progessed to injecting and the hell that came with it to where I am today, I am convinced that I am an addict, no doubt in my mind. With that being said, I know how great my chances are for relapse, so I try to do everything suggested to try to keep this disease in check. So accepting the truth of it all makes it a little easier on me.

Bottom line though..
I am drug addict and i may not have another recovery in me, and knowing my chances of staying clean are so low (like 8%) lol is what i ve always been told, i am going to seek out the 8% that are beating this disease and ask them for help.

sorry if this was like preaching, these are just my opinions though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

rob4513 wrote:
I know this isnt really answering your question, but obviously my need for instant gratification got bigger once i started injecting. It's the behaviours we need to change. I can say though that my triggers for using thoughts have increased because of all the shit, that comes along with it. Ex: I am triggered by seeing my veins now which is unavoidable. I know every good bathroom, and parking lot on this side of the city, and everytime well almost everytime i am around those places the thoughts come flooding in. i am triggerd by belts.

thought I was the ONLY one???? LOL
I used to drive a "longer" way home, from work, so I wouldn't pass my "main three" spots......... it helped. Now,,, well now that it's been TWO FREAKING YEARS, doesn't bother me NEARLY as much..... I've even driven by, and NOT NOTICED, so that's a sign of improvement!!!!! I still have very faint scars though..... I've been thinking lately about a tattoo to cover them. but I'm still torn......

so i guess after saying that, maybe since my dsease progressed a lttle further than someone elses, the compulsion may be a little greater, but as for risk, we are all at risk everyday and we need to remember that.

I agree.... I try to stay SCARED of it, I do things, like volunteer at the detox center, to KEEP me afraid of using again.....

Bottom line though..
I am drug addict and i may not have another recovery in me, and knowing my chances of staying clean are so low (like 8%) lol is what i ve always been told, i am going to seek out the 8% that are beating this disease and ask them for help.

LOVE the last paragraph...... seriously..... I mean,,, my main reason for going ON suboxone, was because I knew I didn't have one more dope-sick HOUR left in me.........
really like your post.. and even though it's "just your opinions" it's a great attitude, that hopefully takes you a long way :wink:

Boxerdrh29 wrote:
I was wondering if you're more at risk for relapse if you use a substance intravenously as opposed to intranasally or nasally idk the term lol. Random thought that ive been googling but cant find any opinions/ answers anywhere

it's just "my thoughts" on the issue,,,, but ONE reason I think I've been successful with avoiding relapse, is I changed, EVERYTHING....... when I went on Suboxone...... and I really mean, every aspect of my life, except I still have a son, and I'm still married... every thing else???
DIFFERENT.

I mean,,, if you go ON suboxone, because your an addict, why would you want to use the medication this way? I mean unless you weren't "changing for good"
what I mean by that, is there are a lot of people that go on it to stave of the "sick" or the withdrawls, then hop back to using. For that reason I could see, using sub this way...... but having a "needle fetish" or addiction in itself is a problem, and it definitely can be difficult to get "over"
I guarantee it won't be easier,,,, STILL practicing...
You just gotta give that up and RETIRE the whole damn "routine" in my opinion.....

I don't know that I answered your question, either...... but I do have 26 months on suboxone,with no relapse. (So far!!)
just for the record,,, I did IV as well.

One last thing....... I guess I don't see any "benefit" to doing this,,, with subs? I mean,,, I never felt "high" that's for sure. So I don't know what "mainlining" would help with.... here's the "science" on why....... (video at the bottom)
I HEAR the only people that benefit from it, are the ones with no tolerance (or very low) to Opiates....

GOOD LUCK to each and every one of you :wink:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqjJGoSQgc[/youtube]

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/