It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Question about delivery
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:02 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am due in two weeks and have a few questions I know most of you can answer for me
I am currently on 2mg Suboxone, and have been maintaining this level since the beginning of pregnancy with no issues. Now that delivery is impending, my anxiety level has gone up a bit with the unknown.
Yes I know logically that as long as I am prescribed, CPS cannot get involved - but I am still paranoid. I have worked very closely with my SubDr and he is wonderful and supportive. My OB was told from the very beginning that I am on Subs and was given the option to contact my Sub Dr if need be.
All these things in place, and I am still terrified of being judged and ridiculed by the hospital staff. It seems to come with the territory of being on this drug, and the lack of proper education about it.
This isn't really a question per se, more like a rhetorical response to my stress

Now the question..... I am going to try to remain drug free for my delivery, but I do have some major back issues and have already been having back labor pains recently that are making me think twice about this. I will opt for an epidural, but I want to know if there are any issues with this. I have a birth plan written up and it clearly states I am on Suboxone, but is this enough ?? So I need to let the anesthesiologist know ahead of time?? Are we even able to take narcotics while in labor ?
Yes my Sub Dr said to do what I need to do to make labor and delivery smooth... but I am soooo apprehensive and I know my body. If I feel any effects from taking a narco, I will definitely crave it. I don't want to even go home with a script for Vicodin.

What did you ladies do in terms of pain control during L&D ???
Just looking for some feedback

All answers are appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:20 am 

Hi D, Welcome! First, congratulations on the baby! So exciting! AND, how wonderful you are to be clean and doing the right thing for this little miracle! I have never had children but, I was there when my niece was born and played nurse to my sister, friends,and niece after their deliveries. Not one of them has been on pain medication after delivery. They all planned on breast feeding but more importantly none of them had pain at a level that tylenol did not handle. I would definitely tell the anistesiologist (sorry about the spelling) about the suboxone as soon as possible. This way he can have time to research it if he needs to. Good luck! I am sure someone with "real" birthing experience will be along to answer your question soon!Good luck and please hang around and let us know how you are doing! Michelle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Michelle F. wrote:
Hi D, Welcome! First, congratulations on the baby! So exciting! AND, how wonderful you are to be clean and doing the right thing for this little miracle! I have never had children but, I was there when my niece was born and played nurse to my sister, friends,and niece after their deliveries. Not one of them has been on pain medication after delivery. They all planned on breast feeding but more importantly none of them had pain at a level that tylenol did not handle. I would definitely tell the anistesiologist (sorry about the spelling) about the suboxone as soon as possible. This way he can have time to research it if he needs to. Good luck! I am sure someone with "real" birthing experience will be along to answer your question soon!Good luck and please hang around and let us know how you are doing! Michelle

Thank you so much !! I have been on subs for about 4 years now, starting off getting it from the street and taking almost 16mgs... so for me to be on 2mgs is HUGE progress

I have to admit that getting pregnant while actively tapering was interesting lol. I was told to stop dropping my dose, and it has been smooth sailing for the length of the pregnancy
Now that I am getting closer to delivery, all the fear is creeping in !
I would love to go all natural, but it just seems impossible with 4 herniated discs and severe sciatica. This is our first child, and at the ripe age of 39 I know my pain level will be higher.. old lady syndrome lol

Thanks again for the warm welcome and I look forward to more feedback from other members :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:58 am 

Hey dg,

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with being on sub during pregnancy and delivery, I became addicted after I had my 3 children. I'm 39 too lol. But I have been on sub almost four yrs and I know the type of pain ur gonna encounter with a regular delivery, so maybe I can at least give u my two cents on this.

I'd definitely get the epidural if I were u and I remember seeing someone say that it definitely still works being on sub. That's the only thing I really had or needed during delivery. Now as for the after care, they gave me hydrocodone 7.5 for pain. Honestly if u wanted to just use ur sub for ur pain control, I think it'd work just fine for the pain. Especially if ur worried that taking anything else will get ur addict mind to racing again. If that's what u choose to do, I think u should talk it over with ur sub dr.

Congrats on the new baby! Ur gonna experience love like u never knew u could......and a lot of lost sleep :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

unfortunately, you will likely 'judged'-- but you don't need to let it ruin your experience, and you don't need to react to it. Understand that we know, for certain, that nurses will expect symptoms in your baby-- and they will attribute even normal crying or sleeping to 'withdrawal'. That's just a given. My recommendation to you is that you roll with it as best you can-- realizing that things will go smoothest if you do what they ask you to do, and agree with whatever they say.

I wouldn't say that, of course, if someone suggested something that would harm your baby. But most of the conflict that arises during delivery comes from control or ego issues-- not from medical 'error'.

Epidurals are 95% local anesthetic-- which is not affected in any way by buprenorphine or Suboxone. Some spinals or epidurals contain very small amounts of narcotic, but the effect of that narcotic is minor-- and has a very small, if any, role during labor.

Likewise, epidurals can be used for C-section, and Suboxone/buprenorphine is not a significant problem in that case.

The main potential problem is in people who get stuck at the hospital for 2-3 days after a C-section, who have problems getting their dose of Suboxone. If that happens, ask the doc or nurse to let you take your meds from home.

You will likely run across a couple good, understanding people-- since every hospital has at least a few of them! As for more-petty people, just let those feelings go. You've done the right thing by treating an illness that you didn't ask for. You've already been punished enough. It is time to enjoy the better parts of life.