It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi All:

This is def not my first rodeo. Been on and off sub for almost 10 years, under the same doctors care. Have gotten off of it for medical reasons once (had to get emergency surgery) Next, for a pregnancy and other times because I thought I was good without it. I am in AA and work a program, I consider myself clean & sober for 3 1/2 years. Some in AA would not think so, but that's my business.

Anyway, I have been back on since about feb. after needing a C-section after my pregnancy the cravings were horrible (I needed pain medication after major surgery - csection) Anyway, my live in boyfriend was also taking my drug of choice at the time (and for 2 years prior - Norco - He just got off a month ago) I am trying to do the responsible thing here.

Anyway, I am on a very low maint. dose of 2-4mg. He read my diary a few weeks ago and gave me a 30-day notice. (I also take Klonpin - 0.5mg at night for insomnia and anxiety, along with Cymbalta) it is what works well for me. yes, the sub makes me a little forgetful and scattered, I don't know why... but that beats the alternative. So I was never put on the lease so I have to move. I got a Condo but had to come up with $5K to move (I live in a very expensive part of the country) anyway, I am pretty sure he was hoping I would not be able to come up with the money and he could keep our son but F-That! Of course I came up with the money and got a place... I did lose out on a job I was trying to get for 6 MONTHS!!

Anyway, he is appearing to be totally amicable and wanting to do 50/50 and I am fine with that he is an amazing Dad. I am just scared he is going to pull some shit at the last minute and try to get full custody. We were going to try to keep the courts out of this but I am scared to trust.. I am scared he is going to try and say because of the sub I am not a good mother. I already got a letter from my doctor and have that on standby.

So, I am tapering like crazy I want to get as low as I can on the sub (like 1mg) and down to 0.25 of the kpin before I move out (I got a Condo and am signing the lease today)

I guess I am just curious if anyone has any experience with custody stuff.. Also help with tapering... I know its all about going slow especially after 2mg and below and exercise, exercise, exercise!

Thanks Everyone.. Hope you are all GREAT!!

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:28 pm 

NorCal,

You are doing fantastic and don't let the fact that you're on a prescribed medication deter you from your maternal duties. It is highly doubtful the courts would hold Suboxone over your head as proof of not being a good mother. The recovery plan you have is better than his as far as staying off abusing opiates. Keep that doctors letter and maybe even print out some of the stuff Dr. Junig has written in the past about it.

Also, because of HIPPA laws, if he brought that up in court it may mean a law suit on your part. Your medical history is private. Make sure he knows that beforehand.

You just keep focused on getting better. Keep going to the meetings and working the program per your sponsors advice. (if you have one)

Hold your head up high knowing you are on the road to recovery.

rule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:24 pm 

Not only does HIPAA apply in this situation, but also federal law CFR 42 Part 2. Information about your treatment of substance abuse can only be compelled by a court order. Make sure that anyone who could comment about your substance abuse treatment during court proceedings knows that any mention of your treatment is against the law and you can bring charges against the person who mentions it.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/42/2.4

The fine is $500 the first violation and up to $5000 for subsequent violations. You could also file a civil case against your ex if he brings it up.

This is another good source for information:

http://www.samhsa.gov/sites/default/fil ... e_0110.pdf

Know your rights!!!

Amy