It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just started Suboxone about 6 weeks ago at 8mg. A couple weeks ago the Doctor increased my dose to 12mg. I didn't have any cravings after my dose got increased at first but the last few days they stated coming back. I know a lot of that is probably mental but do you think I'm at the right dose? I'm not sure if it's my dose or just me. When I go back to the Dr. and he asks me if I still have cravings, I don't want him to think I'm a lost cause. I've never been on this medication before but after years of doing heroin and taking opiates, it does seem like it helps. Should I tell the Dr. how I feel? Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome cool beans! I am glad that you are
getting help for your opiate dependence. I believe that both 12 and 16 mg are common doses in early treatment for opiate addiction. The correct dose for you is the one that you feel the best at. Dr Junig has explained tolerance and the ceiling effect on the blog. What this means to me is the you aren't going to have a harder time tapering down (at the appropriate time) from 16 than from 12 or probably 8. Keep talking to your doctor and reading this blog as there is much information to help you. One experience I had is false withdrawal symptoms. At times, when feared that I didn't have enough suboxone in my system, I experienced chills or "craving". These symptoms went away when I got involved with something else. Because of the long half life of suboxone you could miss an entire daily dose and probably not feel a thing.
I have been on suboxone for ten years and currently am tapering off SLOWLY. I was on 16 mg for the first two years. From eight years ago until now I have decreased my dose down to 2 mg.
Good luck and don't give up. Many of us have struggled a bit a first to stay clean and to find the right dose. It is well worth the effort.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi cool beans,

It is totally normal to want to take more of you dose. It is probably 100% mental. But when we were taking pills or dosing prior with full agonists, we were dosing throughout the day. So when we have this NEW medication (suboxone) that we only take once per day or maybe twice. it is really tough to get used to.

I remember the first 6 months of taking suboxone. I ran out early every month. So every month I would suffer or try to buy more off the street. It totally sucked.

the amount you are on is probably more than enough to treat your addiction. What helped me was going to counselling and keeping myself busy through out the day. The "No free time" helped me not dwell on when I can take my next dose. And over time..it got better. I would forget to even take my dose some days. This will happen to you too. It just takes some time.

Maybe just talking to you doctor about it would be good just to let them know that you are still "adjusting to your dose" The doctor an't fault you for that. It is so common.

Good luck with everything!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:30 pm 

I'm the beginning, it was hard for me to determine if I was having real cravings that the suboxone wasn't helping me with or just that void of not doing pills anymore. I used to spend a lot of my day just trying to find my pills. So when I started sub, I had a big hole to fill. Also I missed being high. It wasn't the intense obsession of cravings though, it was just me missing that high and really just being bored. I can't tell ya if ur dose is high enough or not, but try to get urself a hobby or keep busy. Give urself a little bit more time to adjust and definitely keep ur dr informed of how ur feeling.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CoolBeans - seems the majority of my patients end up on 16 mg a day. Almost all that had transitioned to heroin during their addiction end up at 16 mg. Generally within 6 months to a year they come back to 12 mg a day. It's your recovery, if you need 16 to control your cravings and keep you clean then roll with it. Jeandianne has a real nice post as well. Keep busy, repair, recover, it gets better!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all, thanks for the advice. I might stay where I'm at for now. My Dr. told me if I'm still getting the cravings in a week, he's going to increase my dose, so I'm going to give it a little more time. He gave me a couple extra to take so if I get cravings, I can take 2 extra mg. I've only did that a couple times so far though because I'm trying to see if the 12mg is enough. If I stay on the 12mg, I'm going to see if they make 12mg strips so I can just take a whole strip instead of having to cut the 8mg in half. Half the time I never know if I'm taking too little or too much and also it feels like there's too many and I'm afraid of losing them. So far though, this medication has been helpful. It's the first time I've ever been on this medication so I think I'm still getting used to it. I'm going to give it a little more time though.Thanks for the advice. You've all been helpful.